[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yl4N6bb.png

I am gonna name you Wick.

Also I got a rocket prepped for a Manned Flyby of Scar.

20240414202420_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8msri-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDhtc3JpLTljMWRjODQ4LTQ3YTYtNDE3Zi05NjgxLTZhMzFiZjdiNmRhNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.JdjVbVKJBN-zkR1Huu-ccyRXtLIygzsnd1yPDX7FN-I

For once not too cursed. I read one proposal for a Lunar Gemini mission was to slap a Centaur on the back of the spacecraft and launch with a Titan with SRBs.

Edited by Pudgemountain

10 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

For once not too cursed. I read one proposal for a Lunar Gemini mission was to slap a Centaur on the back of the spacecraft and launch with a Titan with SRBs.

Ah, that old, retread of a fallacy in the making. 

That proposal was before Centaur-a's flight and explosion...  Back when they thought you could contain the vapor pressure of the Hydrogen because you know in space there is no heat....

The latter, more-realistic proposals are Gemini Capsule +2 in series Transtages.   Or, believe it or not, a duplicated Titan 2nd stage with an LR87 single bell (that was only mentioned in passing I have never found actual documents describing it better than that)

10 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Ah, that old, retread of a fallacy in the making. 

That proposal was before Centaur-a's flight and explosion...  Back when they thought you could contain the vapor pressure of the Hydrogen because you know in space there is no heat....

The latter, more-realistic proposals are Gemini Capsule +2 in series Transtages.   Or, believe it or not, a duplicated Titan 2nd stage with an LR87 single bell (that was only mentioned in passing I have never found actual documents describing it better than that)

To be fair its all I go for I am using Skyhawk's tree, I don't have Titan III and not even close for Saturn parts. I need the money and science and my closes launch window for another planet wont be around for over a year. So I am gonna risk my kerbalnauts in the name of science. Find out tomorrow, my real life schedule is too busy for tonight.

Box of balloon tank shaped Lego for all your Atlas building needs. Even if not mentioned all historical variants can be built accurately with correct combination of these tanks.

7Q7ozib.png

Cylindrical extension tank raceways can be switched to be open ended for stacking since some variants need one underneath a conical tank and of course lets you use them in any combination you like as well.

NiOrrww.png

JFzRSEh.png

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Box of balloon tank shaped Lego for all your Atlas building needs. Even if not mentioned all historical variants can be built accurately with correct combination of these tanks.

7Q7ozib.png

Cylindrical extension tank raceways can be switched to be open ended for stacking since some variants need one underneath a conical tank and of course lets you use them in any combination you like as well.

NiOrrww.png

JFzRSEh.png

Very impressive work @Zorg. Really looking forward to this. @Friznit, looks like you have some work here for the Wiki, but for a good reason!

Edited by DaveyJ576

9 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:
On 4/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, Richmountain112 said:

Any plans to make the Gemini heatshields more like the stock ones (if they aren't already)? Last time I tried sending a Gemini spacecraft with the BDB heatshield, it exploded during reentry.

This sounds kinda dumb but I'm planning on sending a Gemini spacecraft to Duna (with or without MOL) btw

I have flown hundreds of Gemini missions with the BDB heatshield with no issues. Could you be more specific as to what you are doing?

Sending an MOL-type spacecraft interplanetary. It exploded when reentering from Eve (in space low) (The solar apoapsis at the time of reentry was actually as high as Duna or Dres) so it would probably explode during Kerbin Reentry from Duna.

The Apollo heatshield explodes when returning a 5-kerbal command pod from Sarnus.

I would also like a version of the Command Module laboratory that has room for a heatshield and parachutes but it might not be in-line with the original intentions of the part.

8 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

Also I got a rocket prepped for a Manned Flyby of Scar.

20240414202420_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8msri-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDhtc3JpLTljMWRjODQ4LTQ3YTYtNDE3Zi05NjgxLTZhMzFiZjdiNmRhNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.JdjVbVKJBN-zkR1Huu-ccyRXtLIygzsnd1yPDX7FN-I

I did exactly that but with a more modern version of the Centaur stage.

Edited by Richmountain112

2 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

Sending an MOL-type spacecraft interplanetary. It exploded when reentering from Eve (in space low) (The solar apoapsis at the time of reentry was actually as high as Duna or Dres) so it would probably explode during Kerbin Reentry from Duna.

The Apollo heatshield explodes when returning a 5-kerbal command pod from Sarnus.

I would also like a version of the Command Module laboratory that has room for a heatshield and parachutes but it might not be in-line with the original intentions of the part.

I did exactly that but with a more modern version of the Centaur stage.

I tend to have the main interplanetary ship orbit Kerbin, never for atmosphere unless I am decommissioning it. I tend to launch a smaller craft like Gemini, Apollo or Fuji and sock them with the bigger ship and when I'm done onuse the smaller ones to reenter after orbiting Kerbin.

I only directly reenter if returning from Mun or Minmus.

6 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Very impressive work @Zorg. Really looking forward to this. @Friznit, looks like you have some work here for the Wiki, but for a good reason!

Thanks! And yeah I will put together a build guide table or something before this is done so Friznit can adapt it to the wiki when he has time. Worth noting the performance charts will also become obsolete most likely.

6 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

The Apollo heatshield explodes when returning a 5-kerbal command pod from Sarnus

The heat shields have the same stats as stock shields already. You’ll have to either adjust your reentry to be shallower, and/or decelerate at kerbin. Returning from Eve with an AP around Duna actually means you need to decelerate more than a plain Duna return too - anything beyond the ideal hohmann transfer (lower PE or higher AP, the further you are from matching the target planets solar orbit) means more energy to shed. I’d say direct return from Sarnus probably voids the shield’s warranty too lol

Also what system scale are you playing at? Larger scales will have a huge impact on heat shield performance. You could always just patch them yourself if you really want to tweak them too.

17 hours ago, Zorg said:

Is there any chance raceways can be toggled on/off for all the Thor/Delta tanks as well? I find that I can't really put silly stuff like unintended adapters and interstages on top of the tanks because the raceways just abruptly end and makes it look awkward. It's especially odd because there are one or two Thor tanks or adapters that have toggleable raceways already.

31 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Is there any chance raceways can be toggled on/off for all the Thor/Delta tanks as well? I find that I can't really put silly stuff like unintended adapters and interstages on top of the tanks because the raceways just abruptly end and makes it look awkward. It's especially odd because there are one or two Thor tanks or adapters that have toggleable raceways already.

Cobalt made those so you would need to hear from him but I can say that its unlikely unless there's some space on the sheet as you need to map a different UV island near the end of the tank due to the baked ambient occlusion (assuming there was motivation to do this to begin with :P it can be hard to work up the energy to work on files long since completed haha).

Its a somewhat tedious thing anyway which is why the Atlas tanks only have this on one end.

Edited by Zorg

Mission: Manned Flyby of Scar.

Payload: Lunar Gemini named Zira.

Launch Vehicle: Titan II with SRBs and Centaur.

Crew: Jedediah and Bob.

Liftoff we have liftoff.

20240414203055_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v78s-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzhzLTU2YjAyOGJiLTA4MzAtNGY3Ni05NTY5LTk3MWYwYmI1ZDBkOC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.y4ZrLOQf-e1YlTiiuttwPc03NDZzBq5ZXdqi5SdHpI0

Houston we may had a problem.

20240414203235_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v78p-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzhwLTNjYTVkM2YxLWVkYmQtNDg2NS04Yzg0LWY5N2UwNzAxMTc2Mi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.i-sCKqQyenh4N7VeEvji6ChC6UmhRJDihfVhRmxVCu0

Everything was good and we got to a stable orbit, unfortunately my decals disappeared until reentry.

Centaur did not blow up on us.

20240414205511_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v78j-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzhqLTgyMTgyZWE0LTI5ZGQtNGJkMy1hYWQwLTA2YmI0MDYwNWNlMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19._7oVJ2t8b65eHwwLXadKhBY_x1XnkkLbDz-9QKnojOc

20240414205521_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v78f-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzhmLTBkOTllOTk1LTVmNjItNDQ5OC05OTMzLWEzNThkYWJkMjc3Zi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.3zSkL3fl0gO2eFNuP__qNPthoCVn7YoLkMQByKjTtAU

We arrived on Scar and proceed to gather science while we flewby.

dh8v78a-78700719-56b7-45a7-9cbe-1b51af046eda.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzVjZWQwODZiLWE1MGMtNGIxZC1iZmZiLWJkYTlmMTk4Mjc1ZlwvZGg4djc4YS03ODcwMDcxOS01NmI3LTQ1YTctOWNiZS0xYjUxYWYwNDZlZGEuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.d6kTZbcigrcL4Ug1z81dkAS5-9741iyEytsmmat20l4

20240414210322_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v784-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2Nzg0LWEzYjMyNDEwLWIzYzctNDJjZi1iODBkLTU5NGM0MWY1YjQ4Mi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.A3EX4Q1uIH9AJ9qozTaYXSkaT3YYwLeAZw8ZYTBdrlU

dh8v77v-feafe8fe-fe7d-432b-876b-cb4f010ad4e9.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzVjZWQwODZiLWE1MGMtNGIxZC1iZmZiLWJkYTlmMTk4Mjc1ZlwvZGg4djc3di1mZWFmZThmZS1mZTdkLTQzMmItODc2Yi1jYjRmMDEwYWQ0ZTkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.ajeeTCXCw6yYlnzXVYHZqaqi7Kc3HTUp_EaSmRTPE2I

Hey Jeb

20240414210444_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v77l-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzdsLWNkZjM0NTI0LTVkY2MtNDQ2OS1hYWJmLWY3Nzk3NzNkNDcyOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.DfTd63UbDePmEvZQNczFEn1boylHF8kW29OG1hYR0ws

Now the decals show.

20240414211312_1_by_pudgemountain_dh8v77a-414w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kaDh2NzdhLThlMGIzYjdiLTMxNzktNGRkZi04NzMwLTMyYmM3OTJjZTYxYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.OrzSrwdhTd-pwZdIQ9ld_-N3-f5fRvpmSuf8UlyUWW4

Overall a lucky successful Mission, now as much as I love Apollo, given how this planet pack is I will run out of unmanned science and funding for Frontier and Scar before i get Apollo, so I might be thinking of a landing with Gemini.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:46 PM, GoldForest said:

I wonder which will happen first, this forum reaching 1250 pages or the github download hitting 1GB (compressed)

Page 1250 won. 

Now which will happen? Page 1300 or Github 1GB compressed. 

LR89 progress. Mostly finished texturing but will do the emissives for all the engines together.

qKMaFeC.png

Most LR89 models had shared turbo pumps which were located in the center of skirt. That aspect is of course abstracted so these simpler models will be used to represent those variants. Left is the RS56OBA (MA-5A) model and right is intended to be used for XLR89, and LR89 NA 3,5 and 7 (ie MA-1, MA-2 and MA-5 power packs). Only difference is some nozzle detail.

unqQXpr.png

L6UFmSn.png

dwwPwAJ.png

We also have here the fully independent LR89-NA6 (MA-3) for Atlas E and F.  The powerhead just barely fits inside the special Atlas E/F skirt (which had a different shape to the others for this reason). Due to the odd shape and clearance requirements, a separate whacky ring mount is provided as a switch for generic use.

gvJzdnX.png

BcRnTI2.png

Full lineup of LR89s

qKMaFeC.png

On 4/16/2024 at 3:09 AM, Rodger said:
On 4/15/2024 at 8:22 PM, Richmountain112 said:

The Apollo heatshield explodes when returning a 5-kerbal command pod from Sarnus

The heat shields have the same stats as stock shields already. You’ll have to either adjust your reentry to be shallower, and/or decelerate at kerbin. Returning from Eve with an AP around Duna actually means you need to decelerate more than a plain Duna return too - anything beyond the ideal hohmann transfer (lower PE or higher AP, the further you are from matching the target planets solar orbit) means more energy to shed. I’d say direct return from Sarnus probably voids the shield’s warranty too lol

Also what system scale are you playing at? Larger scales will have a huge impact on heat shield performance. You could always just patch them yourself if you really want to tweak them too.

I think I'm just playing at stock scale. Also, my interplanetary crafts sometimes don't have enough Delta-V to do a braking burn before reentry, and most spaceplanes definitely can't survive a direct reentry from Jool. 

Usually when designing crafts, I don't account for the braking burn at Kerbin. Instead I prefer just going for a direct reentry and throwing away everything but the reentry module, unless it's a spaceplane or VTOL.

I also remember using a stock heatshield to return from Neidon.

And I also just realized that the 1.14 beta changes the Kane engine and Metis upper stage to run on hypergols which means I can't add any extra fuel myself :(

Edited by Richmountain112