[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

Oh, just noticed something on the X-15:

98Pqz6d.jpg

The lower fin on the X-15, in reality, would have been decoupled after flight to allow enough space for the skids to touch down. You might want to instead have the lower fin as a separate, attachable part that could be decoupled when staging.

34 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Oh, just noticed something on the X-15:

The lower fin on the X-15, in reality, would have been decoupled after flight to allow enough space for the skids to touch down. You might want to instead have the lower fin as a separate, attachable part that could be decoupled when staging.

This is known to me, thank you. The model is not a detail replica, but a variant for Kerbals. After the skid does not spring (because no real landing leg) a detachment of the lower fin is not necessary.

From the workbench:

Planned or to be discussed potential models for KSP.

CNEM is a KSP variant of the Russian module NEM. Here is a rough plan.

CNEM-001,medium_large.1500021161.png

CXS-1 is planned as a kerbalized version of the XS-1 Phantom Express.

cxs-1,medium_large.1500021162.png

Iridium Next is one of more than 60 satellites that form the terrestrial satellite telnet. The model shows the kerbalized implementation still without solar panel.

C-Iridium-Next,medium_large.1500021159.png

LILUM is a German, electrically operated short distance flight taxi with VTOL characteristics. The first flight of the unmanned vehicle in original size took place at the end of May 2017. The model is still quite coarse and could be refined.

C-LILIUM-001,large.1500021157.png

Pictures of "Venture Star" in a 50% scale variant will be released the next days.

From Workbench:

Kerbalized version of Venture Star. The Cargobay can hold parts up to1.875m Ø with a size of 6m in length and  2.4m in width and high. total dimension: Wingspan 19.145m, length 19.15m, hight 4.792m

VS-001,medium_large.2x.1500036497.PNG

VS-002,medium_large.2x.1500036491.PNG

The Kerbal Version of Skylon :) Length = 40.1m

skylon-001,medium_large.2x.1500036488.PNG

Edited by hraban

An honest question as I haven't seen an explanation, why 50%? I've seen a few reduced-scale mods and I don't understand what their purpose is.

I very much like the parts and the modeling/texturing quality in this mod, can I use Tweakscale to bring their size in line with all my other parts in my career-mode game?

On 20/07/2017 at 1:59 AM, vossiewulf said:

An honest question as I haven't seen an explanation, why 50%? I've seen a few reduced-scale mods and I don't understand what their purpose is.

I very much like the parts and the modeling/texturing quality in this mod, can I use Tweakscale to bring their size in line with all my other parts in my career-mode game?

Kerbin is only 1200km across, so to the full size rockets would just be stupidly overpowered - you could send 100s of tons to the Moon on a full scale Saturn V.

9 minutes ago, Beale said:

Kerbin is only 1200km across, so to the full size rockets would just be stupidly overpowered - you could send 100s of tons to the Moon on a full scale Saturn V.

I think he talks about that ksp should be roughly 65% size and not 50%, for example, on KSP scale the falcon 9 should be 2.5 meters but in Contares it is 1.875 or the Ariane 5 is 2.5 instead of 3.75 (btw Beale, are you planning to remake the Ariane series at some point in the future?)

Edited by NeoFatalis

On 20.7.2017 at 2:59 AM, vossiewulf said:

2 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

I think he talks about that ksp should be roughly 65% size and not 50%, for example, on KSP scale the falcon 9 should be 2.5 meters but in Contares it is 1.875 or the Ariane 5 is 2.5 instead of 3.75 (btw Beale, are you planning to remake the Ariane series at some point in the future?)

At first, the 65% scale is a contribute to fit only american rockets to the ksp standard sizes and makes it easy to scale the rocketparts to other scale-mods like RSS.

Contares use 50% scale while that fits perfect to the most european, russian and other non american nations without break the max size of 5m Ø. It's the way of the my mod.

Btw.: Contares makes a summer brake. Next update release comes not before september 2017.

3 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm not so used to Contares, what engine should I use for the X-15 ? :huh:

type x-15 into the searchfield. the engine will shown up with all other cx-15 parts. The engien is named by "REX LF Engine".

Edited by hraban

1 hour ago, hraban said:

type x-15 into the searchfield. the engine will shown up with all other cx-15 parts. The engien is named by "REX LF Engine".

Thanks I find the engine aha, but I also noticed something else :
1500757708-20170722230748-1.jpg

The engine plume is activated even if the engine isn't, I don't use real plume so I don't have any idea where this could be from :/

11 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Thanks I find the engine aha, but I also noticed something else :
1500757708-20170722230748-1.jpg

The engine plume is activated even if the engine isn't, I don't use real plume so I don't have any idea where this could be from :/

Required mods:

- Installation of RealPlume (contained engines use this engine effects mod only)

Just now, notJebKerman said:

@hraban Are Skylon & Venture Star gonna have proper control surfaces for control in the atmosphere or will they rely on the reaction wheels like the rest of the spaceplanes in this mod?

Both models are to big so wings and fins come with working control surfaces as separate parts. The project realization will show whether this approach is suitable for the poor KSP aerodynamics. There will be no pre-release. If implementation is not possible by using KSP standards, the two projects can be canceled.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you build the Centaur upper stages for the Globus 5?

I'm guessing from the parts you can build at least the SEC (Single Engine) and DE (Double Engine) variants but I can't figure out which goes where.

8 hours ago, gc1ceo said:

How do you build the Centaur upper stages for the Globus 5?

I'm guessing from the parts you can build at least the SEC (Single Engine) and DE (Double Engine) variants but I can't figure out which goes where.

First way is to install the craft files out of Contares-mod download. There is an example with BDB RL10 Engine. Second way is to use the search in VAB with the TAG 'globus'. All needed parts are listed.

Third way is to use the 'Engine Mounting Plate', two 'HM-7b' (Contares has no short length RL10 Engine!) and the 'CSD-H-L 1875' to cover the engines.

4 hours ago, hraban said:

First way is to install the craft files out of Contares-mod download. There is an example with BDB RL10 Engine. Second way is to use the search in VAB with the TAG 'globus'. All needed parts are listed.

Third way is to use the 'Engine Mounting Plate', two 'HM-7b' (Contares has no short length RL10 Engine!) and the 'CSD-H-L 1875' to cover the engines.

Ok wow, I'm special, I didn't realize there were craft files. *forehead smack*

More parts on the workbench:

1.25m stack mountet radial telescope with compatibility to 'Tarsier Space Technology' (tweakable to fit greater sizes)

teleskope1250,large.1502711180.png

Scan-Sat compatible Biome Scanner in a Cube-Sat (.0625m)

BiomeScanner-0625,large.1502711178.png

Cupola Module with working (animated) hatches. Base-diameter is 1.25m.

Kuppel,large.1502711173.png

Idea for a separate mod: 'Build your own space-station modules'

- Different module end caps in shaping and docking diameter
- Module for life assurance and preparation
- Module for storage
- Module for science racks
- Module with 4 docking ports
- Module for sleep and hygiene
- Module with integrated airlock

More module parts will follow. Scheduled for quarter 4/2017.

Station-Parts-003,medium_large.2x.150308

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.