Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

6 minutes ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

Sorry guys, Me and OrbitalEscape has decided to stop working on this mod. Our school work have been increased drastically and have pretty much taken over our lives. We want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you guys who have constantly supported us through this journey, you know who you are! This mod meant a lot to me, it has taught me everything I know about 3D modeling, texturing and made me more interested in spaceflight and physics. T'was fun while it lasted, I've posted all the files on dropbox if anyone wants to continue this mod.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5p7dan58wat83y/AADUhRoklx_6QZfWSMpMPM4sa?dl=0   feel free to download and do what you want with them (as long as you give credit)

I'm probably not going to make KSP mods for a while, maybe I'll get back to it one day.

Well, I guess this is a goodbye, for now, :( Au revoir, 再见!

- Hanson, Colt

Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft

Me and OrbitalEscape are working on a mod that replicates the Hermes from the movie "The Martian". It will contain individual parts that will allow you to construct the Hermes in LKO, then send your crew to Duna! With 1.1 coming right around the corner, part lag wouldn't be that much of a problem :D

qAIRs6H.jpg

f2SvjB1.jpg

DOWNLOAD

v0.3 Added MDV IVA

SAVE BREAKER! v0.2 Texture/Model Revamps, Added IRIS, Added Individual Ring Segments, Added IR parts, Added 3 new crew modules, Added Adapters, Crew Modules now hold crew, Removed old single Ring part, Mod now requires Infernal Robotics

v0.1 - Initial Release

https://github.com/xxhansonmaxx/hermesIS

Try not to use this in your current saves since future updates will most likely destroy crafts...   

REQUIRED MODS

Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics by sirkut

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/104535-105-magic-smoke-industries-infernal-robotics-0214/

Development Pics:

Follow the development every Sunday on Twitch!

Created By:

xxhansonnmaxx: Owner/Models/Textures

OrbitalEscape: Co-Owner/Unity/Configs

LICENSE: CC BY-NC 4.0

Edited by xxhansonmaxx
Bye :(

Can't you guys work with the Taiyang Shen people? Andy Weir is not gonna be clicking on 20 links tomorrow when I email him about these mods...

Otherwise, great job!

I wonder, what are the betting odds that he does not play KSP? 1 in 100, 1 in c?

This looks wonderful (I would apply a smooth/edge split modifier to the parts, just to make them look professional).

However, I have to ask- does anyone else look at the movie version of the Hermes, and think "that's not at all what I imagined reading the book?":huh:

Because the Hermes I imagined while reading was less of a giant string of ISS-like parts, and more of a giant Apollo-capsule-shape with heat-shields for areo-braking on the rounded end and engines on the opposite end, and deploy-able radiator panels by the engines.

This looks wonderful (I would apply a smooth/edge split modifier to the parts, just to make them look professional).

However, I have to ask- does anyone else look at the movie version of the Hermes, and think "that's not at all what I imagined reading the book?":huh:

Because the Hermes I imagined while reading was less of a giant string of ISS-like parts, and more of a giant Apollo-capsule-shape with heat-shields for areo-braking on the rounded end and engines on the opposite end, and deploy-able radiator panels by the engines.

Thanks, I smooth it in unity...just personal preference

Everybody has a different idea of the Hermes from the book, the one in the movie basically shows Ridley Scott's version of the Hermes

Thanks, I smooth it in unity...just personal preference

Everybody has a different idea of the Hermes from the book, the one in the movie basically shows Ridley Scott's version of the Hermes

That's the great thing about books. They make you use your imagination about things.:)

If it's possible, I think that the nuclear reactor and ion drive/plasma thruster would benefit from using Near Future pluggins

Also, unrelated to the mod, I'm puzzled by the habitat ring. How were they supposed to have launched those modules?

I suppose they could have been broken down into pieces, but that would require a level of in-orbit construction that we haven't done before.

Edited by jfull

Well, I'm trying to build a Hermes ripoff called the "Kermes" and I'm launching it in large modules (A propulsion module, Fuel Module, etc) on rockets that are totally feasible. I have a propulsion stage already up that was 15.6 tons dry (Liquid Hydrogen Engine, Some very large batteries in a truss and a reactor with no enriched uranium w/accompanied radiators). And if I'm looking at this correctly, the proposed Ares program rockets would have been perfectly capable.

Maybe even the Jupiter family could pull it off too. Although, I'm assuming that this is the Ares Program with an Ares Mission to Mars.

Paris-VII-Small.jpg

Well, I'm trying to build a Hermes ripoff called the "Kermes" and I'm launching it in large modules (A propulsion module, Fuel Module, etc) on rockets that are totally feasible. I have a propulsion stage already up that was 15.6 tons dry (Liquid Hydrogen Engine, Some very large batteries in a truss and a reactor with no enriched uranium w/accompanied radiators). And if I'm looking at this correctly, the proposed Ares program rockets would have been perfectly capable.

Maybe even the Jupiter family could pull it off too. Although, I'm assuming that this is the Ares Program with an Ares Mission to Mars.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r318/Sir_Spike/Paris-VII-Small.jpg

No, it's definitely with the SLS, dude.

Can't wait for this mod, ever since I saw the giant station in the trailers I was searching for someone wanting to implement that into KSP and now the dream has come true !

Any idea when this will be released ? or where you are at currently in the development stage ?

jfull Benefiting from Near Future would be pretty useful. The ring is built piece by piece, just use a space tug or something :sticktongue:

Sgt.Shutesie I think benjee10's DIRECT launchers would be pretty cool to launch the pieces.

MajorLeaugeRocketScience Yeah we should put them all together for a release thread when everything is done.

NateDaBeast I'm still modeling the parts, got lots of stuff to do.

Great modelling so far man! Looking forward to it.

Just a heads up, I'll be doing similar Martian-inspired parts in DIRECT but going for a more realistic spin/my interpretation of the book, not intending to compete with yours in any way!

You know my excitment for KSP was really starting to wane. I went from playing it everyday to only a few times a week and even then it was just an impulsive habit. I am super excited about KSP now. With all of the new modders and new mods and the old modders with new mods, the influx of martian mods now, and ksp 1.1 coming soon KSP feels new again. I want to post this on all the new mods I have seen today alone but I would probably get in trouble.

Read the book, it's great. :P

Hermes has nuclear reactor and VASIMR thrusters running on argon, with fuel to spare. It has acceleration of 2 millimeters per second per second while having a mass of 110 tons.

Fuel tanks in movie still seem to be too small tho. They use 30 tons of fuel to get to MArs again, aka Purnell maneuver.