Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

1 hour ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

@Virtualgenius Thank you!!! Maybe...

Here's the 3 stages altogether, now I just have the landing stage to texture.

w3nuK0a.png

Should be in-game very soon :)

Really great work. Totally nailed the appearance. Can't wait.

Because it wasn't detailed mentioned in the film, or even in the book, how are you speculating that the MAV was configured for the initial unmanned Martian reentry? 

Do you think the EDL was done using heavy aero-braking and a heat shield below the main engines, or do you think the MAV had enough fuel to slow itself down enough to not require a heat shield or aero-braking for EDL?

I'm guessing we're going to get an ISRU setup in the truss section below the mains, right?

22 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

Really great work. Totally nailed the appearance. Can't wait.

Because it wasn't detailed mentioned in the film, or even in the book, how are you speculating that the MAV was configured for the initial unmanned Martian reentry? 

Do you think the EDL was done using heavy aero-braking and a heat shield below the main engines, or do you think the MAV had enough fuel to slow itself down enough to not require a heat shield or aero-braking for EDL?

I'm guessing we're going to get an ISRU setup in the truss section below the mains, right?

They maybe they (NASA) sent fuel with it for reentry (For the heat they maybe had heat resitant engines) and the MAV produces fuel out of H² in the martian atm. 

Edited by [MG]Atlas

1 minute ago, [MG]Atlas said:

They maybe sent fuel with it for reentry (For the heat they maybe had heat resitant engines) and the MAV produces fuel out of H² in the martian atm. 

Right. It's feasible that it had enough fuel for totally powered EDL. After all, it can land basically empty, and that's ok. 

Because there's no KSP analogue to using atmosphere for fuel (other than air-breathing engines) an ISRU drill may be easier for players to understand, as you can actually see a drill pulling your ore/fuel from the ground. If you're seemingly magically producing fuel out of nothing, players may get confused. Plus, you'd have to create all new resource and conversion modules. Not impossible, but a bit of a hassle. I'm fine with either really. 

Yeah but after all KSP is not so easy to understand so you could maybe do a CO² ISRU, but yes its :confused: ...

2 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Right. It's feasible that it had enough fuel for totally powered EDL. After all, it can land basically empty, and that's ok. 

Because there's no KSP analogue to using atmosphere for fuel (other than air-breathing engines) an ISRU drill may be easier for players to understand, as you can actually see a drill pulling your ore/fuel from the ground. If you're seemingly magically producing fuel out of nothing, players may get confused. Plus, you'd have to create all new resource and conversion modules. Not impossible, but a bit of a hassle. I'm fine with either really. 

I'm not sure how the bottom of the MAV is protected from reentry but the martian air is very thin, and most of the time I play in the game I don't need a heat shield except for aerobraking.  As for landing fuel, there are a lot of tanks on the landing stage that are left behind when the MAV launches so they will contain fuel but an ISRU may also be added.

As for the rotating hab modules with artificial gravity, I have tested it and it works in 1.1 with the 1.1 compatible infernal robotics.  This doesn't mean the mod is completely compatible with 1.1 as I'm still testing it, but if anyone wants to help test the current download version in 1.1 and let us know of any problems that would be great :)

@davidy12 Thanks! I could make a hab, the thing is how are u supposed to launch the hab to orbit and land it on mars? It's HUGE!

@[MG]Atlas Thank you! 

@curtquarquesso Thanks, since the MAV gets to the crew landing site before them. I'm guessing its launched just by itself, stays in mars orbit for the previous crew to come and land it remotely. Like @OrbitalEscape said the MAV has a landing stage with fuel to land the MAV.

58 minutes ago, xxhansonmaxx said:

@davidy12 Thanks! I could make a hab, the thing is how are u supposed to launch the hab to orbit and land it on mars? It's HUGE!

Simple, launch components individually then have the crew assemble it on the surface.

But still, I want to see the Hermes IVA's and then focus on the base.

I just installed this on a clean 1.1 save (the only mods I have installed are this, KJR and IR/Legacy) and the solar panels are pitch black, and the centrifuge girders are pure white, though.. The girders in the middle of the panels show up fine, though. Is this a VAB error?

Edited by Chainbullet

Max That looks so much more amazing in game :) Nice work! Definitely looking forward to what is to come. So the hab... I too am curious about getting it to Duna (without obviously just using hyperedit) Even if we just end up needing hyper edit. It would still be really cool to mess around with more Matian toys :)

Thanks for sticking with the project man, it's really looking amazing.

When I build the Hermes, the top half of it (when the centrifuge spins) remains stationary, while everything below the centrifuge spins. Is there a way to stop this?

Also, is it pre-set to just spin endlessly or do I need to input something for that?

On 4/22/2016 at 1:30 AM, xxhansonmaxx said:

Maybe put it in a "Box" or something and inflate it like in @Porkjets Habitat Pack. It would be cool. By the way, this mod turns slowly from "Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft" to a "The Martian"  mod. :wink:

Edited by [MG]Atlas

Take a look at the Pathfinder mod.. 

... it uses inflatable buildings, similar to what The Hab is in The Martian.  I'm sure its not realistic to assemble all the pieces of hab canvas into a round building. However, you could make a central round hab structure, then have the 3 airlock ports on it, and have 3 separate airlocks to attach to it using KIS/KAS attachment or docking ports.  Could also make the "Watney Kermin" killing comm tower (though that's easy enough with stock parts).

One thing I've yet to see is a good set of solar panels that you can just place on the ground and connect up to each other and to a habitat to provide power.

This pack is truly beautiful and amazing, but the ring parts do not really align properly, the ring is not really closed when you attach the parts to ech other, even with the doubled dockingports.

Is there any Chance of Fixing that?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I don't think I would be making the Hab, it's just too complicated...

@Voodoo8648 yea man

@Alewx Well from my blender calculations it should fit perfectly, but it just doesn't... rn u can just use KAS struts or something like that

@[MG]Atlas They're 2 completely different IVAs

Here's the leg textured!

W17qpUz.png