Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft (from The Martian) [DISCONTINUED]

xxhansonmaxx

Hi guys, sorry as well about this.  Life is too much in the way right now (do engineering they said, it will be fun they said). Anyways, in the dropbox link the AresExploration folder should have a somewhat functioning MAV (I think?) but may be buggy.  Feel free to try it out!  I haven't even open up KSP in months (I will play it again sometime, its my favorite game :D) so I don't remember the state of the MAV.

Oh yeah, don't use the drill, it summons the kraken.

Signing off for now

Edited by OrbitalEscape

@xxhansonmaxx @OrbitalEscape sorry to have you leave but school first, i'm telling that to my son as well :D

Wish you luck with all you do

if no one else feels inclined to take this, i would be posting it on Spacedock/CKAN/Github after sorting the folder structure a bit - hate to let it leave as i am using the IRIS and the ring actively :wink:

On 9/2/2016 at 8:55 PM, Jasseji said:

@xxhansonmaxx @OrbitalEscape sorry to have you leave but school first, i'm telling that to my son as well :D

Wish you luck with all you do

if no one else feels inclined to take this, i would be posting it on Spacedock/CKAN/Github after sorting the folder structure a bit - hate to let it leave as i am using the IRIS and the ring actively :wink:

@Jasseji @xxhansonmaxx @OrbitalEscape 

I have organized all the files and folders for the current state of this mod and the current files that make it up and have uploaded it to Spacedock/CKAN/Github already. I have also given credit to xxhansonmaxx and OrbitalEscape as well. Here are the links for Spacedock and Github:

GitHub: https://github.com/aphelion-games/Hermes_Dev/tree/master

Spacedock: http://spacedock.info/mod/941/Hermes Interplanetary Spacecraft Dev Files With WIP MaV (Credit to xxhansonmaxx %26 OrbitalEscape)?noedit=True

Hey @xxhansonmaxx,

1. You released an update! Hurray!

2. The download is broken; it says that it is an "invalid archive". Boo.

So, if you could check on re-zipping that stuff, I'd be a really happy camper.

I was able to cobble together a (hopefully: hasn't finished loading yet) working version by combining some of OrbitalEscape's files with yours from the Dropbox archive.

Once it finishes loading in an hour, I'll let you know.

So, I forgot to post.

It works fine, except for a few bugs. The MAV landing struts have no texture. They're also the most broken landing legs I have ever seen. Upon a hard landing (or even any), it decides to have zero traction, allowing the MAV to skate all the way down the mountain. 

I got so fed up after using an editor to completely fill its tanks (more weight), counter-thrusting with RCS, taking off and landing again (might want to lower the strength of those engines. It is supposed to not be able to lift its dry weight on mars/duna. If it can fly on kerbin, then there's a problem), and even deploying all emergency and reserve chutes, I couldn't get it slow enough to use time warp to lock it. 

I eventually took off and crashed it intentionally in frustration. Sure, it's not exactly space-worthy in its current state, but hey! It stopped skating!

Also, there have been numerous bugs involving the ring. It just doesn't want to work. If I have rotated it, and I timewarp, I'm screwed. It bends the thing around and turns it inside-out, and as soon as I stop it goes flying off, nearly cracking the darn ship in half. I moved the old file with the solid ring, and honestly it works better. It is an animation, rather than moving the parts, so timewarp doesn't affect it. 

That's all I have for now. So far, my Ares program has been a failure. I tried making a Curiosity-style capsule (detachable service module, aeroshell with drogue chute) for the pre-supply probes. Well I've ran into a bug that seems to be KSP's current "F*** you" from the code to my screen. I noticed this in the last version (haven't tested this) where - if I tapped the ring - my kerbal would go shooting off into the distance. If a ship hit it, the screen would start shaking as if I were pulling 10+ g's, while my G-force gauge is still at 0. It also thinks the ship is landed, while it is orbiting. So, no time warp, since I'm apparently in a rover without wheels going 1.3KM/s. 

I can't tell if it's one of my mods, but since it has happened in the stock game, I assume that it is a bug in KSP.

So, Presupplies are screwed, Hermes is broken, the MAV decided to go ice-skating down a rock-covered plain (barely any incline, but it goes on for kilometers), And my Hab that I made decided to blow up just as I attached the final wing pa-*AHEM* "Hab canvas  section" to it.

Ares is dead for now. 

• 5 months later...