[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Gabu said:

Man i love your mods!!! Cant wait for next release!!

Thanks! :) Due to the detour I'm slightly behind schedule but hey, we get a good head start on the Copernicus! All it really needs is an expandable hab module and an engine mount that doubles as a heat radiator. Possibly a new engine, but the Viper is tri-modal now...

This looks like you've drawn some inspiration from a certain "Predatory Bird 9" Craft hangar.  Looks great!

So if I understand this concept, your DSEV could be configured in this fashion:

Command - Hab/Lab/Centrifuge - "Stuff" - Truss - Truss - K2 Duna Truss package - Truss - Truss - Pineapple - SuperNova - Profit!

Once at Duna, detach Duna Package, and reattach ship, do the Duna Tango, Profit?

4 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

This looks like you've drawn some inspiration from a certain "Predatory Bird 9" Craft hangar.  Looks great!

So if I understand this concept, your DSEV could be configured in this fashion:

Command - Hab/Lab/Centrifuge - "Stuff" - Truss - Truss - K2 Duna Truss package - Truss - Truss - Pineapple - SuperNova - Profit!

Once at Duna, detach Duna Package, and reattach ship, do the Duna Tango, Profit?

Yup, pretty much. :) You can mix and match parts as you like.

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks! :) Due to the detour I'm slightly behind schedule but hey, we get a good head start on the Copernicus! All it really needs is an expandable hab module and an engine mount that doubles as a heat radiator. Possibly a new engine, but the Viper is tri-modal now...

I totally understand why you pulled the pic of Copernicus, since anyone and everyone was badgering you about it, but I am as excited to see that when it finally comes as I am to see the Nautilus-X.  Well, maybe not, because I can almost build Copernicus with other mods, but no one has really done the Nautilus parts yet.

If you ever have a desire to do more ships once these are done, I hope you might consider the NASA ships from the HOPE document.  I'd love to see the ideas NASA had for MTF or MPD realized in KSP.  The BNTR version evolved into Copernicus, but no one has done the MTF or MPD designs.  (a variant of the MPD craft has VASIMR instead, which is also pretty cool)

Looking forward to the next release!

50 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I totally understand why you pulled the pic of Copernicus, since anyone and everyone was badgering you about it, but I am as excited to see that when it finally comes as I am to see the Nautilus-X.  Well, maybe not, because I can almost build Copernicus with other mods, but no one has really done the Nautilus parts yet.

If you ever have a desire to do more ships once these are done, I hope you might consider the NASA ships from the HOPE document.  I'd love to see the ideas NASA had for MTF or MPD realized in KSP.  The BNTR version evolved into Copernicus, but no one has done the MTF or MPD designs.  (a variant of the MPD craft has VASIMR instead, which is also pretty cool)

Looking forward to the next release!

Yup, I got pretty fed up with all the pestering, removed the Copernicus from the lineup, then ran across this picture:

1200px-Mars_design_reference_mission_3.j

while thinking that DSEV's new hab/lab/greenhouse could be useful as planetary bases if I added a base unit for them (and yes, I know a certain other mod used this picture as the basis for its parts). That circled me back around to the Mars Design Reference Architecture 5.0 document, and the Bi-Modal NTR, and I found some old artwork that I did for Kopernicus. It didn't take long for me to clean it up into the pics I posted, so I decided to include them in the upcoming release. The expandable hab has to wait- I'm not delaying the release any further- but the cargo elements are there. You could always use the Homestead from Multipurpose Colony Modules (included in the Extras/MCM folder when you download Pathfinder) for the time being, but I'd rather see if I can make something like what @Porkjet did:

tzJzDJS.jpg

So sad these never saw the light of day, they look fabulous! Maybe I can get close, I've been practicing my skills. :)

I'll have to look at HOPE, it isn't currently in my plans. This is, however:

mem-configuration.jpg

I've wanted to build the Mars One ship from the Mars One Crew Manual ever since I read that book as a kid. I still have it, too :)

Meantime, I've got to get that mobile emitter part done over the weekend. KIS accessories are a pain, the hardest part is lining them up on the kerbal body..

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Yup, I got pretty fed up with all the pestering, removed the Copernicus from the lineup, then ran across this picture:

while thinking that DSEV's new hab/lab/greenhouse could be useful as planetary bases if I added a base unit for them (and yes, I know a certain other mod used this picture as the basis for its parts). That circled me back around to the Mars Design Reference Architecture 5.0 document, and the Bi-Modal NTR, and I found some old artwork that I did for Kopernicus. It didn't take long for me to clean it up into the pics I posted, so I decided to include them in the upcoming release. The expandable hab has to wait- I'm not delaying the release any further- but the cargo elements are there. You could always use the Homestead from Multipurpose Colony Modules (included in the Extras/MCM folder when you download Pathfinder) for the time being, but I'd rather see if I can make something like what @Porkjet did:

tzJzDJS.jpg

So sad these never saw the light of day, they look fabulous! Maybe I can get close, I've been practicing my skills. :)

Would you accept sunside orbit as light of day?

YDsDW5e.png

11 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

tzJzDJS.jpg

I'll have to look at HOPE, it isn't currently in my plans. This is, however:

mem-configuration.jpg

I've wanted to build the Mars One ship from the Mars One Crew Manual ever since I read that book as a kid. I still have it, too :)

Meantime, I've got to get that mobile emitter part done over the weekend. KIS accessories are a pain, the hardest part is lining them up on the kerbal body..

The Mars Reference doc inspired MKS also - good stuff, there.

Looking forward to Mars One - I also have a copy of the MOCM.  I used to have Kerry Joels' Shuttle book as well, but it disappeared during a move.  The Mars One ship is an awesome design, though, and I'd love to see that replicated in KSP.  I tried putting one together from other mods once, but that was back when you couldn't change root part and there was no way to assemble a craft that docked back to itself.  That made the linked modules of Mars One pretty much impossible.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing the current and future direction!

4 hours ago, davidy12 said:

How'd you get that inflatable?

FYI: @Tokamak has done a great job remaking @Porkjet's hab pack.

The SSTU grouping of mods has a truly comprehensive array of parts and interlocks well with angel125's mod group. An example is the inflatable hab there. It's one part, solar array, docking ports and all. It's set up as the clockwoorks 3D printer, and holds 5 kerbals. 

It doesn't however have an IVA.

After much slogging, I finally got the Mobile Emitter done:

r7MwTYJ.png

And I got the last installment of When We Left Kerbin...

When We Left Kerbin: My SQUAD, It’s Full of Files!

OdFUHSW.png

With the crew totally useless at this point, the KI-9000 gives up trying to enlist their help, activates the Emergency Multipurpose Hologram and equips it with a Mobile Emitter. The EMH, known simply as Doc, runs its pilot program and takes the lander down to the surface.

bNLQvGV.png

CuqMVkF.png

After hopping out of the lander (no need for a helmet, it's a hologram), it switches to its scientist program to investigate the strange structure that the Discovery found.

6mhoj6U.png

Qc5O1xf.png

Pulling out a kPad Air, Doc interfaces with what appears to be an ancient computer. After skipping a bunch of uninteresting files including some persistence file that was randomly uploaded, the EMH finds an interesting link, apparently to a GitHub page...

tv8VRAz.png

Tomorrow, something's going to happen... something wonderful... :wink:

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

After much slogging, I finally got the Mobile Emitter done:

r7MwTYJ.png

And I got the last installment of When We Left Kerbin...

When We Left Kerbin: My SQUAD, It’s Full of Files!

OdFUHSW.png

With the crew totally useless at this point, the KI-9000 gives up trying to enlist their help, activates the Emergency Multipurpose Hologram and equips it with a Mobile Emitter. The EMH, known simply as Doc, runs its pilot program and takes the lander down to the surface.

bNLQvGV.png

CuqMVkF.png

After hopping out of the lander (no need for a helmet, it's a hologram), it switches to its scientist program to investigate the strange structure that the Discovery found.

6mhoj6U.png

Qc5O1xf.png

Pulling out a kPad Air, Doc interfaces with what appears to be an ancient computer. After skipping a bunch of uninteresting files including some persistence file that was randomly uploaded, the EMH finds an interesting link, apparently to a GitHub page...

tv8VRAz.png

Tomorrow, something's going to happen... something wonderful... :wink:

"2O1O The Day We make Contact" Reference? :wink:

Version 2.0.0.1: Realizing A Space Odyssey

Download 2.0.0.1 here!

(Yes, I know the official version is 2.0.0.2. Stop complaining)

Theme Music:

Spoiler

At long last, this release provides all of the "kerbalized" parts needed to create the Discovery II from NASA's Realizing "2001: A Space Odyssey": Piloted Spherical Torus Nuclear Fusion Propulsion! Now you can fly a mission to Jool like NASA's mission to Jupiter using the reference designs provided, or build your own Deep Space Exploration Vessels.

New Parts
- D2 "Clydesdale" Orbital Command Pod: Designed for in-space operations, the D2 OCP seats 9, but requires a crew of 2 to operate. Part upgrades will give it advanced probe core functionality, eliminating the need for a flight crew. It has integrated support for kOS and Kerbal Engineer. Want a custom name to show up on the pod? You can! Using the stock flag selection window, you can select a "flag" to use as the name tag. You have one name tag on the nose, and another on the sides, and you can show/hide the tags as desired. These name tags are independent of the pod's mission flag and of each other, so you can have a flag, a tag with the name of the ship, and a tag with the ship's registry number, for example. It has both stock and ASET IVAs.
NOTE: For ASET support, download ASET Props 1.4.
TIP: Here is a tutorial for creating custom flags: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Create_custom_flags!

- D2-I "Danube Delta" Orbital Command Pod: This is an inline version of the Clydesdale, except that both ends of the command pod are 3.75m in diameter as opposed to the Clyde's 1.25m tapered nose. It has both stock and ASET IVAs. Thanks for the suggestion, @Kuzzter! :)

- D2 Centrifuge: It holds 12 kerbals, and has life support for mods like Snacks, TAC-LS, and USI-LS. It has a number of configurations to choose from. With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Habitation and Science templates normally found in the Casa and Doc Science Lab, respectively. A unique feature lets the centrifuge fold up to provide artificial gravity while the vessel is under thrust.
Known Limitation: While the IVA rotates along with the external model, it doesn't follow the external model's arms when folded up. This feature is still being worked on.
NOTE: You do NOT need Infernal Robotics to rotate the centrifuge.

- D2 Habitat Module: This 3.75m part provides additional habitation space for up to 4 crew (with life support for Snacks, TAC-LS, and USI-LS). With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Habitation templates at 50% efficiency.

- D2 Science Module: This 3.75m part has space for 4 crew and a few configurations. With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Science templates at 50% efficiency.

- D2 Greenhouse Module: This 3.75m advanced greenhouse has space for 4 and produces food for up to 12 crew.

- D2 Cryo Shelter: This is 3.75m cylindrical bay seats 12. With DeepFreeze installed, your kerbals can be frozen for your long-duration trips. Thanks for showing me how to create cryopods, @JPLRepo! :)

- D2 Instrument Unit: It has a probe core equal to the stock RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit, reaction wheels, and both 3.75m and Mk3 body style options.

- D2 Truss: These are super-sized versions of the Hex Truss, Half Hex Truss, and Double Hex Truss. They're designed for 3.75m parts and can fit 2.5m parts inside if needed.
TIP: Auto-strut is your friend.

- K2 Saddle Truss: Inspired by NASA's Copernicus Bi-Modal Nuclear Thermal Rocket, these 3.75m diameter trusses come in short, medium, and long sizes. They are open on one end, making them great for creating frames that transport and drop off cargo. Yes, that means Kopernicus is on the way to becoming part of DSEV!

- K2 Landing Frame: An inline engine mount for the K2 saddle truss, with space for parachutes and such. Your engines won't stick out of the aeroshell. It can be configured as an Engine Frame or Landing Leg Frame, the latter of which can hold a pair of stock LT-2 landing legs attached to K2 Cargo Boxes.

- K2 Cargo Box: Fitted to the landing frame in place of engines, the cargo box makes a great attachment point for landing legs. It holds a variety of different resources.

- K2 Storage Wedge: Fitted to a saddle truss, the Storage Wedge holds a variety of resources. It also has attachment points for engines, cargo boxes, and the like.

- K2 Saddle Tank: Designed to fit inside the saddle truss, this tank gives you extra resources for your trip. Use the K2 Mini Decoupler to get rid of it.

- K2 Mini Decoupler: Attached to the inner nodes of a saddle truss, this decoupler gives you a way to dispose of your saddle tanks.

- D2 Adapter: This adapter can be switched from 3.75m diameter to Mk3, 2.5m, 1.25m, and D2 Truss form factors.

- Hex Truss - D2 Truss Adapter: Use this as a bridge between the D2 Truss Segments and the Hex Truss system.

- AE-35 Communications Array: This is a combined RA-100 communications relay, M-700 resource scanner, and M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner. With SCANSat installed, the AE-35 can scan planets and moons as well.

- Mobile Emitter: This is a fun part/modlet that requires Kerbal Inventory System. It lets you simulate a hologram in the form of a kerbal (actually, a kerbal carries the part), and lets you change the skill trait of the kerbal while out in the field. With Snacks installed, the "hologram" kerbal won't require Snacks or suffer from starvation effects. The Mobile Emitter modlet is also available separately!

Reference Designs (found in DSEV/ReferenceDesigns)
These design reference mission craft files are provided so that you can perform your own Discovery II missions based upon NASA's research paper. Joolian refueling infrastructure and life support not included. Craft files include:
- Discovery II-Assembled: The complete reference design. You could cheat the craft into LKO if desired, it's ready to go. It has a small amount of LiquidFuel/Oxidizer and Monopropellant to top off the lander.
- Discovery II Lander: It can reach all the moons of Jool if flown carefully.
- Discovery II Fuel Tank: Just like in the NASA mission, this tank flies down to a Joolian moon to refuel before returning to the ship.
- Discovery II Command Section: Discovery II's command pod and centrifuge, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Upper Truss: The ship's upper truss, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Lower Truss: The ship's lower truss, complete with fusion reactor, FusionPellets storage, and LFO mission tank, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Engine Section: The ship's "Supernova" spherical torus fusion engine, central LH2 tank, and docking assemblies, in launch-ready configuration.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Re-tuned the Supernova delta-v so that the Discovery II reference design has just enough delta-v to reach Jool and a moon or two. Existing craft are unaffected.
- Retextured the Supernova, LDR-375 and the HexPort to be more pork-alike.
- The DR-375 has a new hex-shaped option for docking the D2 trusses together.
- Lightened the mass on the LDR-375 and HexPort; auto-strut is your friend.
- Reduced power consumption needs for the WB-6 "Tesla" engine and ArcJet RCS thrusters, and retooled them to use the latest stock PartModules.
- ArcJet RCS motors require ElectricCharge again, along with LqdHydrogen. Their flame effects work again as well.
- The fusion reactors generate ChargedParticles in addition to ElectricCharge; generating Thermals has been removed.
- The fusion reactors now need more FusionPellets per second to run; existing craft are unaffected.
- Fixed angle snap issues with docking ports.
- Fixed node issues with the service compartment and service bay.
- The WB-7 Viper is now tri-modal; its nuclear reactor generates ElectricCharge.

Edited by Angel-125

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Version 2.0.0.1: Realizing A Space Odyssey

Download 2.0.0.1 here!

Theme Music:

Reveal hidden contents

At long last, this release provides all of the "kerbalized" parts needed to create the Discovery II from NASA's Realizing "2001: A Space Odyssey": Piloted Spherical Torus Nuclear Fusion Propulsion! Now you can fly a mission to Jool like NASA's mission to Jupiter using the reference designs provided, or build your own Deep Space Exploration Vessels.

New Parts
- D2 "Clydesdale" Orbital Command Pod: Designed for in-space operations, the D2 OCP seats 9, but requires a crew of 2 to operate. Part upgrades will give it advanced probe core functionality, eliminating the need for a flight crew. It has integrated support for kOS and Kerbal Engineer. Want a custom name to show up on the pod? You can! Using the stock flag selection window, you can select a "flag" to use as the name tag. You have one name tag on the nose, and another on the sides, and you can show/hide the tags as desired. These name tags are independent of the pod's mission flag and of each other, so you can have a flag, a tag with the name of the ship, and a tag with the ship's registry number, for example. It has both stock and ASET IVAs.
NOTE: For ASET support, download ASET Props 1.4.
TIP: Here is a tutorial for creating custom flags: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Create_custom_flags!

- D2-I "Danube Delta" Orbital Command Pod: This is an inline version of the Clydesdale, except that both ends of the command pod are 3.75m in diameter as opposed to the Clyde's 1.25m tapered nose. It has both stock and ASET IVAs. Thanks for the suggestion, @Kuzzter! :)

- D2 Centrifuge: It holds 12 kerbals, and has life support for mods like Snacks, TAC-LS, and USI-LS. It has a number of configurations to choose from. With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Habitation and Science templates normally found in the Casa and Doc Science Lab, respectively. A unique feature lets the centrifuge fold up to provide artificial gravity while the vessel is under thrust.
Known Limitation: While the IVA rotates along with the external model, it doesn't follow the external model's arms when folded up. This feature is still being worked on.
NOTE: You do NOT need Infernal Robotics to rotate the centrifuge.

- D2 Habitat Module: This 3.75m part provides additional habitation space for up to 4 crew (with life support for Snacks, TAC-LS, and USI-LS). With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Habitation templates at 50% efficiency.

- D2 Science Module: This 3.75m part has space for 4 crew and a few configurations. With Pathfinder installed, it can use Pathfinder's Science templates at 50% efficiency.

- D2 Greenhouse Module: This 3.75m advanced greenhouse has space for 4 and produces food for up to 12 crew.

- D2 Cryo Shelter: This is 3.75m cylindrical bay seats 12. With DeepFreeze installed, your kerbals can be frozen for your long-duration trips. Thanks for showing me how to create cryopods, @JPLRepo! :)

- D2 Instrument Unit: It has a probe core equal to the stock RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit, reaction wheels, and both 3.75m and Mk3 body style options.

- D2 Truss: These are super-sized versions of the Hex Truss, Half Hex Truss, and Double Hex Truss. They're designed for 3.75m parts and can fit 2.5m parts inside if needed.
TIP: Auto-strut is your friend.

- K2 Saddle Truss: Inspired by NASA's Copernicus Bi-Modal Nuclear Thermal Rocket, these 3.75m diameter trusses come in short, medium, and long sizes. They are open on one end, making them great for creating frames that transport and drop off cargo. Yes, that means Kopernicus is on the way to becoming part of DSEV!

- K2 Landing Frame: An inline engine mount for the K2 saddle truss, with space for parachutes and such. Your engines won't stick out of the aeroshell. It can be configured as an Engine Frame or Landing Leg Frame, the latter of which can hold a pair of stock LT-2 landing legs attached to K2 Cargo Boxes.

- K2 Cargo Box: Fitted to the landing frame in place of engines, the cargo box makes a great attachment point for landing legs. It holds a variety of different resources.

- K2 Storage Wedge: Fitted to a saddle truss, the Storage Wedge holds a variety of resources. It also has attachment points for engines, cargo boxes, and the like.

- K2 Saddle Tank: Designed to fit inside the saddle truss, this tank gives you extra resources for your trip. Use the K2 Mini Decoupler to get rid of it.

- K2 Mini Decoupler: Attached to the inner nodes of a saddle truss, this decoupler gives you a way to dispose of your saddle tanks.

- D2 Adapter: This adapter can be switched from 3.75m diameter to Mk3, 2.5m, 1.25m, and D2 Truss form factors.

- Hex Truss - D2 Truss Adapter: Use this as a bridge between the D2 Truss Segments and the Hex Truss system.

- AE-35 Communications Array: This is a combined RA-100 communications relay, M-700 resource scanner, and M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner. With SCANSat installed, the AE-35 can scan planets and moons as well.

- Mobile Emitter: This is a fun part/modlet that requires Kerbal Inventory System. It lets you simulate a hologram in the form of a kerbal (actually, a kerbal carries the part), and lets you change the skill trait of the kerbal while out in the field. With Snacks installed, the "hologram" kerbal won't require Snacks or suffer from starvation effects. The Mobile Emitter modlet is also available separately!

Reference Designs (found in DSEV/ReferenceDesigns)
These design reference mission craft files are provided so that you can perform your own Discovery II missions based upon NASA's research paper. Joolian refueling infrastructure and life support not included. Craft files include:
- Discovery II-Assembled: The complete reference design. You could cheat the craft into LKO if desired, it's ready to go. It has a small amount of LiquidFuel/Oxidizer and Monopropellant to top off the lander.
- Discovery II Lander: It can reach all the moons of Jool if flown carefully.
- Discovery II Fuel Tank: Just like in the NASA mission, this tank flies down to a Joolian moon to refuel before returning to the ship.
- Discovery II Command Section: Discovery II's command pod and centrifuge, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Upper Truss: The ship's upper truss, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Lower Truss: The ship's lower truss, complete with fusion reactor, FusionPellets storage, and LFO mission tank, in launch-ready configuration.
- Discovery II Engine Section: The ship's "Supernova" spherical torus fusion engine, central LH2 tank, and docking assemblies, in launch-ready configuration.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Re-tuned the Supernova delta-v so that the Discovery II reference design has just enough delta-v to reach Jool and a moon or two. Existing craft are unaffected.
- Retextured the Supernova, LDR-375 and the HexPort to be more pork-alike.
- The DR-375 has a new hex-shaped option for docking the D2 trusses together.
- Lightened the mass on the LDR-375 and HexPort; auto-strut is your friend.
- Reduced power consumption needs for the WB-6 "Tesla" engine and ArcJet RCS thrusters, and retooled them to use the latest stock PartModules.
- ArcJet RCS motors require ElectricCharge again, along with LqdHydrogen. Their flame effects work again as well.
- The fusion reactors generate ChargedParticles in addition to ElectricCharge; generating Thermals has been removed.
- The fusion reactors now need more FusionPellets per second to run; existing craft are unaffected.
- Fixed angle snap issues with docking ports.
- Fixed node issues with the service compartment and service bay.
- The WB-7 Viper is now tri-modal; its nuclear reactor generates ElectricCharge.

YYYYEEEEEEEHHAWWWWWWWWW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! AM DROOLING OVER THIS UPDATE :sticktongue::D @Angel-125 From one amazing project to another! I feel the Discovery II has truly taken its form now thanks to you!  I look forward to seeing the Nautilus-X! Your officially my all time favorite modeling mod author! 

26 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

It might just be me, but the Supernova does not show up in my install. The stuff I found was gorgeous, already scratching my head on how to make an interplanetary on conventional nukes (I don't do non stock engines)

It should be there, I tested both career and sandbox. If you don't have any existing craft, try deleting the Deprecated folder, see if that helps.

1 hour ago, Freshmeat said:

It might just be me, but the Supernova does not show up in my install. The stuff I found was gorgeous, already scratching my head on how to make an interplanetary on conventional nukes (I don't do non stock engines)

I got it too, but i start a new game they are there. I tried deleting modulemanager cache and partsdatabase but that don't help. 

8 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

I got it too, but i start a new game they are there. I tried deleting modulemanager cache and partsdatabase but that don't help. 

Sounds like what I need to do then is just go ahead and update the engine and reactor configs, and if you have vessels in flight, you'll need to retire them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.