[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Deep Space Exploration Vessels - Build NASA Inspired Ships In KSP

Angelo Kerman

All vessels or just DSEV ones?

And a two questions: Does the DSEV package come with solar panels, and does the pineapple run at full fuel consumption or adjusted for EC consumption?

I had to make a corridor in a 2.5 m hex truss to get to the copula. Is there a possibility of eventually adding crew tubes for those?

qswfZmy.png

Interplanetary four kerbal vessel "Thor" under development. DSEV and MOLE rules for space missions, and my crew insists on the Dolores beds.

As the tanks can be reconfigured, my initial idea is to strap a Mammoth beneath to lift the thing to orbit, then KIS it off, reconfigure, and refuel.

Edited by Freshmeat
Screenshot, more questions.

Ok, gonna yank the release and redo it. If you have existing vessels in flight that use the fusion reactors or fusion engine, they'll be affected.

39 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

All vessels or just DSEV ones?

And a two questions: Does the DSEV package come with solar panels, and does the pineapple run at full fuel consumption or adjusted for EC consumption?

I had to make a corridor in a 2.5 m hex truss to get to the copula. Is there a possibility of eventually adding crew tubes for those?

qswfZmy.png

Interplanetary four kerbal vessel "Thor" under development. DSEV and MOLE rules for space missions, and my crew insists on the Dolores beds.

As the tanks can be reconfigured, my initial idea is to strap a Mammoth beneath to lift the thing to orbit, then KIS it off, reconfigure, and refuel.

All hex trusses already have crew tubes built-in. If you look at the part's right-click menu, you have several configuration options to choose from. All reactors work like standard converters and adjust for load. DSEV doesn't come with any solar panels; just use the stock ones.

I was using the fusion reactors for quite a few things, so hacked my saves to not mess up any vessels. Thanks for making the name-change easy to swap in :)

Are there plans to use ChargedParticles for anything? Any need for radiators? Or for now does chargedparticles behave like Thermals and are just a dummy resource that fills up and doesn't do much?

1 hour ago, helaeon said:

I was using the fusion reactors for quite a few things, so hacked my saves to not mess up any vessels. Thanks for making the name-change easy to swap in :)

Are there plans to use ChargedParticles for anything? Any need for radiators? Or for now does chargedparticles behave like Thermals and are just a dummy resource that fills up and doesn't do much?

Originally, Thermals were going to be used for nuclear fusion-powered jet engines, but that never happened. ChargedParticles (basically, fusion plasma) do have a use, but not in DSEV. There's another project waiting in the wings that will use them. :) Glad you were able to make the swap. The very latest, 2.0.0.2, reverts things back so that the original parts are used, but with the new values. This is to correct the problems found in Career mode.

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

There's another project waiting in the wings that will use them. :)

I heard that...:ph34r:

Congrats on the new release.  I love that it's come full circle for me on this.  DSEV has been in "generally" the same form since I came over to start using WildBlue, what, 2 years ago now almost.  So, for just for this occasion I've started a new GPP Career game and shall be grand touring in nothing but a craft driven by its Pierna de Pollo engine!

Just got a chance to play with these - you may have solved a long-standing problem I've been trying to find a good solution to in my current playthrough...

One request: Could we get versions of the storage wedge and the landing frame with a centered attachment node?  The paired nodes are nice, but it'd also be nice to have a center node for when we want something a bit bigger.  (Or just want to adjust the weight a bit.)

Hey sorry to report an issue here @Angel-125, but when selecting the following craft files I get a Craft Loading Error message. 

Craft file:                                                       Parts Missing:

Discovery II Assembled                                WBI.WB8Supernova2

WBI.WB2FusionReactor

WBI.WB1FusionReactor

WBI.MicroFusionReactor

Discovery II Engine                                   WBI.WB8Supernova2

etc.

Correction:

I looked at the configs for these parts: Supernova, both Fusion Reactors and the Micro Fusion Reactor.

In version 2001 the configs read like I've posted in the strike-through above for their "Names".

In version 2002 the configs read as follows:

WB8Supernova

WBI_WB2FusionReactor2  (not sure if this helps but this file in the Electrical folder is named WB1FusionReactor)

WBI_WB1FusionReactor1 (this file is named WB2FusionReactor)

WBI_MicroFusionReactor2 (this file is named WB3FusionReactor)

Again, not sure if it helps in any way, but thought you should know.  

The good news is that these parts do show up in the game.  It is only the craft files that reference those parts that seem to be affected.

Edited by smotheredrun
Because I forgot stuff and hit "save" too soon

Ok, I edited the affected part configs, and lo and behold, no error messages.

Haha, I just clicked the "show reply" pop up.  Ok, no rush though :)

Also, I think I need a new gaming computer.  Got a whopping 8 fps in the SPH when I loaded the Discovery II Assembled craft file. :o

Well, I guess it also has to do with the 100 other mods I am running, including Kopernicus and OPM :)

Edited by smotheredrun

Just now, smotheredrun said:

Ok, I edited the affected part configs, and lo and behold, no error messages.

Haha, I just clicked the "show reply" pop up.  Ok, no rush though :)

Also, I think I need a new gaming computer.  Got a whopping 18 fps in the SPH when I loaded the Discovery II Assembled craft file. :o

It's slow for me too. The price ya pay for having nice IVAs. :)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Just got a chance to play with these - you may have solved a long-standing problem I've been trying to find a good solution to in my current playthrough...

One request: Could we get versions of the storage wedge and the landing frame with a centered attachment node?  The paired nodes are nice, but it'd also be nice to have a center node for when we want something a bit bigger.  (Or just want to adjust the weight a bit.)

I'll look into that. :)

Edited by Angel-125

3 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

So if I understand the mission idea correctly, Disco II goes to Jool system does "stuff".  Heads to Vall for example.  Drops lander and then sets fuel tanks down near lander.  Use ISRU on lander with KIS/KAS pipe to refuel tanks.  Send tanks and lander back to Disco II.  Profit! ?

Not quite. The NASA paper mentions that there is refueling infrastructure on one of the moons. That isn't taken into account in the reference craft that I created. The Lander's ISRU is for the lander, not the fuel tanks.

Regarding the low frame rates, that's not something I've figured out. It could be the way the models are made, or the plugin, or both. There's no way for me to tell, actually. We'll see what happens with my next mod..

I might have a bug - need to strip out any non-DSEV mods and re-test, but when I extend the arms and spin the centrifuge, the spin "collar" and attached habs turn 45-ish degrees to the side.  Going to reproduce it and put a pic and logs here if it continues.  Other than that, all the new parts look AMAZING.  Fantastic job on the IVAs, and I love the rad shelter / freeze chamber.

48 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I might have a bug - need to strip out any non-DSEV mods and re-test, but when I extend the arms and spin the centrifuge, the spin "collar" and attached habs turn 45-ish degrees to the side.  Going to reproduce it and put a pic and logs here if it continues.  Other than that, all the new parts look AMAZING.  Fantastic job on the IVAs, and I love the rad shelter / freeze chamber.

I've never seen that happen, is anybody else experiencing that?

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I've never seen that happen, is anybody else experiencing that?

After removing other mods, the issue went away.  Adding back in RPM and ASET caused no issues, the problem might be with SXT or MouseAimFlight, which were the other installed mods.

Edit - Ok, I can't reproduce the issue.  I get 2 instances of "Extend Arms" in the context menu, and when I originally caused the issue, I had hit both buttons in quick succession, followed a few seconds later with "Start Centrifuge".  I'm not able to reproduce it, so it could have been anything, or an obscure edge case. I forgot to open the debug menu, so no idea if there were any NREs or other indicators.

Am running KSP on Windows, but under Boot Camp on a MacBook Pro.  If I see it again, I'll get better details/data for a proper bug report.  Unless anyone else has seen it, chaclk it up to space gremlins.

Edited by panarchist

Great work!  The revamped Supernova has great numbers and looks good too!

I noticed my frame rates went up after removing the lander or some of the fuel tanks.  On my system it's more than likely just the sheer number of parts/mods I've got running, therefore I'm not too concerned as my system is about 6 years old (ThinkPad T430).

First of all, I derped on the Supernova: I did not realize that you had entered additional nodes on the tech tree :blush:

Second, a small cosmetic error. I found out how to enable crew tubes on the trusses, but it seems that it still writes the previous values for fuel and oxidizer, from the fuel tank configuration.

eQjp4Nq.png

They do not exist as ressources in the game (I have a spark underneath the Danube, it registers dV when in LF/OX mode, but not now). I have cleared my MM cache. The save is quite old, though. Directory of gamedata, ksp.log, and output.log can be found here.

Again, this is a gorgeous mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.