[1.1.1] [FINAL UPDATE CactEye Telescopes Continued 7.1.0

Angelo Kerman

Fr1gYGI.jpg

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and are upgradeable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Inventory System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

CactEye Telescopes works best with Distant Object Enhancement by MOARdv.

Due to badgering from the KSP community, I will no longer be maintaining this mod. I would like to remind players that most modders create content in their free time and without any compensation. Nagging somebody for updates is just not cool.

As a parting gift, I have updated the mod one last time: CactEye2 7.1.0 has been updated to KSP 1.1.1.

Download

Github: Current Release

Source Code

Github: Current Source Code

License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

"CactEye Telescopes Continued" is a derivative work of "CactEye 2" by Raven, which is a derivative work of "CactEye Orbital Telescope" by Rubber-Ducky. It is licensed under CC BY 4.0.

Icons made by Freepik from http://www.flaticon.com is licensed by http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ CC BY 3.0

Screenshots

Javascript is disabled. View full album

NOTE: Currently this mod is on life-support, meaning that I'll keep it compiled and running for the latest KSP, but further developments are on hold until I have more time.

Edited by Angel-125

How about backwards compatibility? Like, if I have some stuff from older mod version flying up there, will it be ok, or upgrading will cripple my crafts?

If you've been using the CactEye 2 0.6.8 from Raven's dev thread, you should be ok. Otherwise, it's best to retire your existing telescopes.

Nice to see you taking over this one Angel :)

Any big plans ahead for it?

Primarily keeping it up to date with KSP, DOE, and KIS. I'm pretty busy with my other mods at the moment, but as time permits I want to add support for Asteroid Day, Research Bodies, and Outer Planets Mod. I'd also like to add a ground telescope. But beyond that, not much more, since I don't have access to the original artwork other than the .mu files.

My GUI doesn't open, and the telescope module doesn't show the temperature as in a tutorial vídeo in youtube.

i'm using kerbal 1.0.4 and the cact 0.6.8. any clue?

I'm pretty sure that video is out of date. I don't the the scope shows the temperature anymore. Did you use CKAN to install the CactEye?

Latest version is available here.

I also created a Kerbalstuff page.

I've updated CKAN as well; that may take a bit to take effect.

I've enjoyed this mod, but I have some problems.

1.Whenever I try looking at a planet, Duna for example its more of the planets color all lit up like a light or something. Not exactly sure how to describe it

2.It's kind of hard to look at planets or asteroids with this. Anyway to making it easier ?

Edited by NateDaBeast

Is there a specific group of parts that have to be used to make these work? I made a satellite using the green telescope (for planets and moons) a probodobodyne octo, solar panels, basic antenna, and batteries (plus 3 small ring tanks and a spark), and maybe it was ksp glitching but clicking on the scope did nothing, no actual icon showed up in the map view but the orbit did, when I went back to KSC to the control tower my satellite was gone.

Is there a specific group of parts that have to be used to make these work? I made a satellite using the green telescope (for planets and moons) a probodobodyne octo, solar panels, basic antenna, and batteries (plus 3 small ring tanks and a spark), and maybe it was ksp glitching but clicking on the scope did nothing, no actual icon showed up in the map view but the orbit did, when I went back to KSC to the control tower my satellite was gone.

You need to build the whole telescope. You need the lens (CactEye or FungEye), with the core inserted in the bay, and an experiment (Maybe not anymore? Haven't used the mod in a while, just passing through the thread) and the special reaction wheels (they have adjustable torque to fine tune where you're looking)

So i've an odd one. The problem may be PEBKAC, but I fixed one of those already... Two on one problem would be embarrassing! ><

Anyway, everything is going well for the most part; I'm using the Fungeye thus far due to tech tree unlocking. It works well, but for the fact that it only ever seems to display the skybox through the camera. I'm not using any visual mods, so I wouldn't imagine that could muck things up... Has this been seen before, or am I special? (If so, Yay! I mean... Wait...)

Thanks guys, always enjoy this mod, and i'm glad to see it has a home still :)

EDIT to add that this is using the wide field level 1 processor.

I've enjoyed this mod, but I have some problems.

1.Whenever I try looking at a planet, Duna for example its more of the planets color all lit up like a light or something. Not exactly sure how to describe it

2.It's kind of hard to look at planets or asteroids with this. Anyway to making it easier ?

Im guessing you are using Planetshine, I Had the same problem and then I went into the settings for the planetshine mod and turned off flares for the time being.

I'm not sure if you deal with CKAN issues related to this mod, but here's one.

:edit

As soon as I posted this I thought "Wait a minute, did I install Raven45's CactEye using CKAN?" Which I did. So I uninstalled that and sure enough the error with this version disappeared.

Edited by Invader Myk

I got an error tying to take a picture of Ike in the CactEye GUI. In the console it said something about missing module ModuleLiftngSurface.SetupCoefficents. After pulling up the console to see what the error was about I could not close the console.

I get nullreferencepoint exeption spams when I try to launch either Cacteye or Fungeye telescopes:

[QUOTE]

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at CactEye2.CactEyeOptics.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)
[/QUOTE]

are there any dependencies other then distant object enhancement, that might cause this? VDS camera Mod perhaps?