[1.2.*] Camera Focus Changer v1.0.1

zentarul

Camera Focus Changer

v1.0.1

Ever wished the camera wasn't anchored to your ship's center of mass? With "Camera Focus Changer" (CFC) you can now change the focus of the camera to any part of your ship you desire! Even better, you can have the camera focus on a nearby ship. Very useful when trying to target that docking port that is just so slightly out of sight.

To use this plugin, simply press the 'o' key while the mouse is hovering a part to have the camera center on it. Press it again to have the camera instantly snap into position. Press the 'o' key while the mouse isn't hovering any part to have the camera reset to the center of mass.

Notes:

• It is recommended to be within 350m of an other ship to focus on it.
  • It is possible to change the key-binding in GameData/CameraFocusChanger/PluginData/CameraFocusChanger/config.xml

Known issues:

• Focusing on an other vessel while "flying" doesn't work very well.
  • Focusing on an other vessel while steering the current ship will make the camera bump away.

Todo:

• Allow for the use of a key modifier (e.g. CTRL or ALT).

Video presentation by @maxrsp. Skip to 4:00 for CFC.

An other video presentation by @Kottabos.

Download:

Get v1.0.1.0 from GitHub!

Also available through SpaceDock and CKAN!

Licensed under MIT.

Edited by zentarul
updated for fix for AGEx

If this works... and I'm almost certain that it'll conflict with something in my GameData directory, I already run more mods than I probably should... but IF it works, this will be so insanely useful that it's a wonder no one thought of it before now! :D

Neutrinovore, please let me know if there is a conflict. It should be compatible with just about anything except it you try to use one of the cinematic camera mod at the same time as you use the feature of my mod. The only other thing would be if an other mod is using the 'o' key. I don't use many mods myself, so I wouldn't know. Otherwise, enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

... But how does it differ from using the mouse wheel button? ...

The middle mouse button lets you pivot the camera, but the pivot angles are very restricted. With this mod, the camera is moved to look at the part of your choosing. You can then use the normal camera rotation to obtain whatever angle you want. For example, you could chose to have the camera focus on a radial booster and then rotate the camera to be on top of the booster and looking outward, not too different from what you would get using Hull Cam.

WHOUHOU!!

So many time i wanted something like this!

minimalist but really, reallly usefull! :cool:

Thank you verymuch!

The only mod i have using the O is "precise node" but only in map mode and this one works only in the "classic view", so everythink is ok for me actually.

Can we have the camera set to the windows of the mission control center so we can see rockets launch from there?

For that you should use one of the cinematic camera mod like Camera Tools by BahamutoD. I don't intend for CFC to get much more complex than what it is right now. I want it to feel like a stock component, so I won't be giving it complex functionality or an in-game GUI.

However, if you put a craft on top of the VAB, you can use my mod to have the camera focus on it and look at your launch from that point of view!

I love this, thank you.

What I like most is setting focus on a part in a lower stage and then watching the upper stage pull away into the distance from there, while the engine fairing scatter. Just be sure to get focus back to the upper stage before it moves out of range!

just a heads up, Camera-Focus-Changer doesn't seem to work well with http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/46365-1-0-4-Hullcam-VDS-Nightvision-Dockingcam-and-other-filters-Updated-10-Aug/page58.Either work fine for me by themselves, they just don't play well together.

Thanks for the info Arcturusvfx, but could you let me know what seems to be the problem? I happen to be using VDS without any problem, although I usually look at the cams through the Raster Prop monitors. You should however always reset the camera to center of mass before changing your view to one of the cams. Otherwise both mods will be actively trying to modify the camera at the same time.

Thanks for the info Arcturusvfx, but could you let me know what seems to be the problem? I happen to be using VDS without any problem, although I usually look at the cams through the Raster Prop monitors. You should however always reset the camera to center of mass before changing your view to one of the cams. Otherwise both mods will be actively trying to modify the camera at the same time.

It wont let me change the camera focus when i have hullcams set to "on",when the individual cameras are disabled it works fine. Also i had accidentally pressed the key to change the focus while docking with the docking cam on and it wound up locking me out of being able to leave that view.

@Arcturusvfx Indeed there seems to be a problem with certain VDS camera being displaced if activated while CFC is focusing on a part as well as other glitches. I will try to come up with a fix for that. Meanwhile, you should be able to use both mod without any problem if you remember to not activate a VDS camera while focusing and not focusing while a VDS camera is active. Also, remember that you can exit all VDS camera by pressing BACKSPACE and that you can reset focus by "focusing" on nothing. If all else fails, try to return to the Space Center and back to your ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve been waiting for something like this so long, it will really help me to make better screenshots! Thank you, and have some imaginary internet points!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear fine Sir,

you are a gentleman and a scholar. There are not enough Rep-buttons in this forums to tell you how much I want this in stock ... Praise be yours!

Thank you very much.

A.

P.S.: I am SO close from abusing the "Report this post" functionality to dunk SQUAD's nose in this invention for how long we actually lived enduring the painfully cumbersome camera panning limitation. SO close.

Edited by Andersenman
more praise

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.