[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

Get the latest here.

This update has a couple of bug fixes. I'm still investigating the EVA Ejector bug on the crew cabin.

- The MC-3000 now has the correct amount of KIS storage when storing something other than KIS items. NOTE: You'll need to switch our your resources for this change to take effect.

- Fixed an issue with the AuxEN that prevented AntennaRange from working correctly.

I must say, you've really improved the Buffalocabin! The internal lighting is less bright and does look good. The separate headlights work excellent. I would change the default action (of lights) to the headlights instead of the internal lights (but i can live with it as it is now).

I did notice that it is somewhat difficult to get om the ladderplatform. When climbing the ladder, it is almost as if there is an extra step on the ladder und usually the Kerbal falls off after the unseen step.

I really love the Bufffalo cabin and i'm using it now on the Elcano challenge.

I must say, you've really improved the Buffalocabin! The internal lighting is less bright and does look good. The separate headlights work excellent. I would change the default action (of lights) to the headlights instead of the internal lights (but i can live with it as it is now).

I did notice that it is somewhat difficult to get om the ladderplatform. When climbing the ladder, it is almost as if there is an extra step on the ladder und usually the Kerbal falls off after the unseen step.

I really love the Bufffalo cabin and i'm using it now on the Elcano challenge.

Thanks. :) It still has issues but it's getting there. I noticed the ladder issue as well, and am looking into a fix for it. I need to add an angled ladder (part of the invisible trigger that lets the kerbal climb) that will help with the climbing. The crew cabin ejects kerbals if you hit the EVA button and I'm investigating that as well. But it has a bunch of fixes, a pair of robot arms for asteroid exploration, and some new parts in the works. Glad it's working for you on the Elcano challenge. :)

There is one problem. When I installed Pathfinder, which depend on WildBlue Tools, WildBlue Tools was installed as separate mod. And in Buffalo pack for CKAN WildBlue Tools is integrated. So CKAN report an error.

And yes, sorry for my english... Hope you understand me.

There is one problem. When I installed Pathfinder, which depend on WildBlue Tools, WildBlue Tools was installed as separate mod. And in Buffalo pack for CKAN WildBlue Tools is integrated. So CKAN report an error.

true. Buffalo needs to go CKAN asap :D

true. Buffalo needs to go CKAN asap :D

I do have a request up to add the Buffalo. But I've also had a lot of support issues due to CKAN so I recommend using AVC and following the mod on KerbalStuff.

Get the latest here.

This update has more bug fixes and some minor tweaks.

Chassis

- Increased the Chassis 2u KIS storage to 200L.

- Decreased the Chassis End Unit KIS storage to 80L.

Crew Cab

- Adjusted the default EVA airlock to the right side, just like the command cab.

- Adjusted the ladder colliders to make it easier to climb up.

Command Cab

- Adjusted the ladder colliders to make it easier to climb up.

Other

- Updated to the latest version of Community Resource Pack and Module Manager.

- Converted textures to DDS.

So, interesting thing. Whenever the Auxen is the root part, Kerbal Foundries wheels just fail to acknowledge physics. When I use the Buffalo (or any other part for that matter) the wheels work fine.

Are you saying that if you use the Buffalo command cab as the root part, you have no issues? What about the AuxEN with the M1A1 wheels, do you have an issue there?

Unrelated question: what flatbed do people use the most? The standard or the wide? Does anybody radially attach the flatbeds to parts other than the Buffalo? I am looking to streamline things a bit to make it easier to attach the flatbed and make it more like attaching a stock 3.75m cargo bay. You would, for instance, attach the flatbed to the rear of the cab and then attach a chassis to the bottom of the flatbed.

The Auxen works fine with the M1A1 and the stock wheels. Guess this means I'll have to start packing different equipment for my MSEVs.

As for the other thing, I use the wide flatbed more often. I've even managed to make use of the wide flatbed as a loading ramp for one of my super-rovers, so it is definitely a versatile part.

Could be my install, but has anyone else has the grappler arm explode due to overheating... in space,.... when not moving...? Could be a FAR issue, i'll post relevant Log data when i get it.

That is a random heat bug from KSP. Hopefully it'll be fixed in 1.0.5. :)

what flatbed do people use the most? The standard or the wide? Does anybody radially attach the flatbeds to parts other than the Buffalo? I am looking to streamline things a bit to make it easier to attach the flatbed and make it more like attaching a stock 3.75m cargo bay. You would, for instance, attach the flatbed to the rear of the cab and then attach a chassis to the bottom of the flatbed.

I use the standard because I don't really see a need for the wide flatbeds yet because I don't find myself needing to haul 20 tiny buckboards in one trip. Yet.

If it's possible I'd like attachment nodes on the flatbed when you're in the field because I got frustrated trying to mount a science pod to it (it'd snap to the mount point and I have to place it at awkward positions).

And yes I'd like to see that attachment method implemented.

Also, could you see about implementing a IVA cabin light switch? Sometimes it gets dark and I can't see much inside the cabin.

Strange, its the only part that has ever done this in 1.0.4 with me... and its not very random. It always explodes eventually, sometimes within minutes after launch, sometimes only after an hour. But the arms always explode.

only shows:

[LOG 22:53:23.677] Part count change, reload AGX

[LOG 22:53:23.686] 1 explosions created.

i'm not entirely sure, but i think timewarp triggers it.

only shows:

[LOG 22:53:23.677] Part count change, reload AGX

[LOG 22:53:23.686] 1 explosions created.

i'm not entirely sure, but i think timewarp triggers it.

Yeah, that happens to me with other parts and high timewarp. My understanding is that it's related to the KSP heat bug.

I use the standard because I don't really see a need for the wide flatbeds yet because I don't find myself needing to haul 20 tiny buckboards in one trip. Yet.

If it's possible I'd like attachment nodes on the flatbed when you're in the field because I got frustrated trying to mount a science pod to it (it'd snap to the mount point and I have to place it at awkward positions).

And yes I'd like to see that attachment method implemented.

Also, could you see about implementing a IVA cabin light switch? Sometimes it gets dark and I can't see much inside the cabin.

Not sure what you mean. I've added attachment nodes to all the flatbeds and you can use KIS to attach the Buckboards without the need for an Engineer as well. Can you elaborate?

Hello!

I recently downloaded this mod and find it amazing. Keeps to the spirit of KSP by being modular, but has a very interesting style and adds useful stuff. Also, the vehicle is quite nice-looking. Thank you.

Everything works fine, but I noticed something that might be useful for the Buffalo. There's this marvelous other mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55104-1-0-x-Rover-Wheel-Sounds-v1-1-(2014-09-25) , which adds wheel sounds to the rovers. KSP does not distinguish itself by its great sounds. Surprisingly, it's an area the devs seem to have chosen to ignore. Once I discovered the wheel sounds mod, everything was so much better. You should try it. It's small and does not negatively affect anything.

Anyway, what I noticed is that, when I use some parts from the Buffalo, the wheel sounds are gone. I thought it was a matter of files being overwritten---the Buffalo installs many things all over the place---so I reinstalled the Rover Wheels Sounds again. Same situation. What is interesting is the fact that when I switch to another of my vehicles, they do have wheel sounds. Then I noticed the wheels. The Buffalo changes a bit the medium wheel info and requisites. I've only used so far the chassis parts, the command module and this new/modified wheel. The previous vehicles were built before I downloaded and installed the Buffalo. I'm not a modder and know very little about programming, but could these wheels be the cause of the now-again-silent rovers?

Mind you, everything works and looks perfectly, and probably nobody has noticed this, unless they happen to have installed the sound mod (which I gather is not quite as popular as others). My suggestion is: it would be great if the Buffalo was compatible with the wheel sounds. It would make an already awesome vehicle even better. Now everything is silent it became very evident to me that Squad just plainly ignored many opportunities to make the game more immersive via the sounds.

Thanks again :)

Hello!

I recently downloaded this mod and find it amazing. Keeps to the spirit of KSP by being modular, but has a very interesting style and adds useful stuff. Also, the vehicle is quite nice-looking. Thank you.

Everything works fine, but I noticed something that might be useful for the Buffalo. There's this marvelous other mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55104-1-0-x-Rover-Wheel-Sounds-v1-1-(2014-09-25) , which adds wheel sounds to the rovers. KSP does not distinguish itself by its great sounds. Surprisingly, it's an area the devs seem to have chosen to ignore. Once I discovered the wheel sounds mod, everything was so much better. You should try it. It's small and does not negatively affect anything.

Anyway, what I noticed is that, when I use some parts from the Buffalo, the wheel sounds are gone. I thought it was a matter of files being overwritten---the Buffalo installs many things all over the place---so I reinstalled the Rover Wheels Sounds again. Same situation. What is interesting is the fact that when I switch to another of my vehicles, they do have wheel sounds. Then I noticed the wheels. The Buffalo changes a bit the medium wheel info and requisites. I've only used so far the chassis parts, the command module and this new/modified wheel. The previous vehicles were built before I downloaded and installed the Buffalo. I'm not a modder and know very little about programming, but could these wheels be the cause of the now-again-silent rovers?

Mind you, everything works and looks perfectly, and probably nobody has noticed this, unless they happen to have installed the sound mod (which I gather is not quite as popular as others). My suggestion is: it would be great if the Buffalo was compatible with the wheel sounds. It would make an already awesome vehicle even better. Now everything is silent it became very evident to me that Squad just plainly ignored many opportunities to make the game more immersive via the sounds.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the suggestion. :) The reason you don't hear the sounds is because WheelSounds doesn't know about the Buffalo wheels. If you are willing to do some text editing, you can edit the RoveMaxM1A1.cfg file found in the WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Parts/InterimWheel folder, and add the following at the very end of the text file:

@PART[WBI_interimWheel]:NEEDS[WheelSounds]
{
MODULE
{
name = WheelSounds
wheelSoundVolume = 1
wheelSoundFile = WheelSounds/Sounds/KerbalMotionTR-2L
}
}

I'll have that in place for the next update, thanks again for the suggestion. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. :) The reason you don't hear the sounds is because WheelSounds doesn't know about the Buffalo wheels. If you are willing to do some text editing, you can edit the RoveMaxM1A1.cfg file found in the WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo/Parts/InterimWheel folder, and add the following at the very end of the text file:

@PART[WBI_interimWheel]:NEEDS[WheelSounds]
{
MODULE
{
name = WheelSounds
wheelSoundVolume = 1
wheelSoundFile = WheelSounds/Sounds/KerbalMotionTR-2L
}
}

I'll have that in place for the next update, thanks again for the suggestion. :)

It works perfectly! Thank you!

Could you add a part with KIS storage inside it, so I can transport parts using the rover?

Great question. :) The Command Cab and Crew Cab both have a small amount of KIS storage. Also, the Chassis parts and Wagon can be configured to store items, as can all of the Buckboards. Simply right click on the part and press the Prev or Next buttons until you see the Storage template.

Great question. :) The Command Cab and Crew Cab both have a small amount of KIS storage. Also, the Chassis parts and Wagon can be configured to store items, as can all of the Buckboards. Simply right click on the part and press the Prev or Next buttons until you see the Storage template.

I'm sorry, I first commented then looked at the mod in KSP itself. I said it because in the Imgur album, I saw nothing about KIS storage, and it seemed like a good idea

I'm sorry, I first commented then looked at the mod in KSP itself. I said it because in the Imgur album, I saw nothing about KIS storage, and it seemed like a good idea

No worries, I might update the graphics to indicate that many parts have KIS storage. Meanwhile,

Get the latest here.

The Buffalo gets new wheels! The stock-based RoveMax M1A1 wheels were always interim placeholders, but now the Buffalo has its real wheels. The new M1A1 Mountain Goat is inspired by the wheels found on NASA’s MMSEV but they have been brought inline with the KSP art style. The current stock-based wheel will be going away. They are deprecated in this release (existing craft won’t break but you won’t find the wheels in the catalog) and it will be removed at a later date, so be sure to retrofit or retire your rovers that have the older wheels.

New Parts

- Added the M1A1 Mountain Goat. The M1A1 can switch between a wide wheelbase for normal driving, and a narrow wheelbase to get in and out of cargo bays. And to top it off, it has sound effects if you have the Wheel Sounds mod installed. Thanks for the suggestion, Supermarine! :)

- Added the Tundra 200 and Tundra 400. These are conformal storage tanks for the Buffalo that are intended for aerospace craft. Unlike the Wagon, they do not expand, but you can attach other parts to them.

Interim Rover Wheel

- The existing stock-based rover wheel has been deprecated in favor of the new M1A1 Omni Wheel. Be sure to retrofit your rovers.

Command Cab

- Increased storage slots slightly.

And a new/old image:

iGjWG8R.jpg

clKvvJj.jpg

Edited by Angel-125

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.