[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

I've experienced the same issue trying to construct the Buffalo in the SPH on my Career mode save.

Apparently, as soon as you put the wheels on a chassis piece, it will detach the chassis unit itself from the rest of the vehicle on loading. Only happens on parts connected indirectly to the command module. So chassis units connected to the command module via other chassis units, will basically detach if you attach a wheel, and act like they have no collider except for the wheels themselves. Although they still remain controllable and no 'part detached' events are logged in the F3 window. Basically, ghost parts.

EDIT: I can confirm it only happens with buffalo pieces, regardless of wheel. I constructed different rovers:

1. Buffalo wagon unit with crew cab, 2 pieces of chassis, and M1-A1 wheels.

2. Same as 1, but with Rovemax TR-2L wheels.

3. Mk1 command pod with Rovemax TR-2L wheels attached to them.

Only rovers 1 and 2, the ones with the chassis pieces, fell off and had the glitch. Rover 3 functioned normally without abnormalities.

Here are 3 screenies, featuring rovers 1 and 2. http://imgur.com/a/S2UYx

Hope this helps with bugfixing.

Interesting. Can you help me reproduce the problem by showing me the steps you take to assemble your rover? Here's what I do, and I don't see the chassis separate and fly off:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks for your help, I really want to get to the bottom of this. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've experienced the same issue trying to construct the Buffalo in the SPH on my Career mode save.

Apparently, as soon as you put the wheels on a chassis piece, it will detach the chassis unit itself from the rest of the vehicle on loading. Only happens on parts connected indirectly to the command module. So chassis units connected to the command module via other chassis units, will basically detach if you attach a wheel, and act like they have no collider except for the wheels themselves. Although they still remain controllable and no 'part detached' events are logged in the F3 window. Basically, ghost parts.

EDIT: I can confirm it only happens with buffalo pieces, regardless of wheel. I constructed different rovers:

1. Buffalo wagon unit with crew cab, 2 pieces of chassis, and M1-A1 wheels.

2. Same as 1, but with Rovemax TR-2L wheels.

3. Mk1 command pod with Rovemax TR-2L wheels attached to them.

Only rovers 1 and 2, the ones with the chassis pieces, fell off and had the glitch. Rover 3 functioned normally without abnormalities.

Here are 3 screenies, featuring rovers 1 and 2. http://imgur.com/a/S2UYx

Hope this helps with bugfixing.

Interesting. Can you help me reproduce the problem by showing me the steps you take to assemble your rover? Here's what I do, and I don't see the chassis separate and fly off:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's another image:

nPMzQ6O.png

Thanks for your help, I really want to get to the bottom of this. :)

@Angel-125: Thank you for the toggable compromise, your truely an ... well, you know.

I've built the rover in several sequences, even according to your last suggestion but in all cases the wheels came off as did the chassis. I suspected a modclash so i removed mods until i only had Buffalo remaining. The problem still occurred. So i created a clean install of KSP 1.0.4 and added the buffalo plus the modulemanager. Even in the barest of barest the problem remained. So finally i even removed the modulemanager. No parts existed anymore.

If i had to guess than i would say something in Buffalo is clashing with something in KSP or something is missing. If it does work for you, it could be that you have an other version than us or you've installed something that we don't have installed. I don't know. It does seem that the chassis has something to do with it as the buffalo without chassisparts has no problems.

@Angel-125: Thank you for the toggable compromise, your truely an ... well, you know.

I've built the rover in several sequences, even according to your last suggestion but in all cases the wheels came off as did the chassis. I suspected a modclash so i removed mods until i only had Buffalo remaining. The problem still occurred. So i created a clean install of KSP 1.0.4 and added the buffalo plus the modulemanager. Even in the barest of barest the problem remained. So finally i even removed the modulemanager. No parts existed anymore.

If i had to guess than i would say something in Buffalo is clashing with something in KSP or something is missing. If it does work for you, it could be that you have an other version than us or you've installed something that we don't have installed. I don't know. It does seem that the chassis has something to do with it as the buffalo without chassisparts has no problems.

Hm. Like, say... Community Resource Pack? I noticed that was missing, and there was an incorrect path to a template icon. Anyway, I'm working on the next batch of fixes and hope to have something later this weekend.

Edited by Angel-125

Hm. Like, say... Community Resource Pack? I noticed that was missing, and there was an incorrect path to a template icon. Anyway, I'm working on the next batch of fixes and hope to have something later this weekend.

I updated CRP like you said, and tried again. I tried to reconstruct based off the first imgur gallery and additional image, and then tried using the Chassis 2U as the root part.

The 1st image is what happened when I built and launched the rover, constructed as per the gallery. The entire cab unit fell off and the chassis pieces seperated. They can still clip through the cab unit as if they were attached.

The 2nd image is what happened when I recreated the rover in your 2nd image in the same post. Cab and Cabin stayed together, chassis fell off outright.

The last 3 images show what happened when I tried using the Chassis 2U as the root part. As soon as the physics 'loaded', the Cab unit separated and started floating up and away, the wheels immediately broke, and the back Chassis 1U detached and broke a wheel.

Notice how in the last image, the speed is still reading 174m/s after the physics loaded, which is probably why the wheels broke.

http://imgur.com/a/2IrSG

This mod is a really awesome concept, and I want it so bad, which is why I'm trying my best to help you fix it. I want to rove around in swag too. :D

Latest version is now available, get it here.

This release fixes a number of issues that resulted from separating the Buffalo out of Pathfinder. It also introduces two new Buckboard storage containers, and a couple of new parts for the Buffalo. Finally, the Buffalo Crew Cabin and Buffalo Command Cab have been improved.

New Parts

- Added MC-2000 Buckboard and MC-3000 Buckboard. With colliders and glowing resource decals. ;)

- Added the Auxiliary Electronic Navigator (AuxEN). In the Old West, oxen were frequently used to pull wagons. The AuxEN doesn't pull anything, but it does the driving. The probe core is the same size as a Chassis 1u, and supports RemoteTech, AntennaRange, and kOS.

- Added an adapter that tapers from the Buffalo cab form factor to a 1.25m cylinder.

Buffalo Command cab

- Widened the headlight beams and angled them down slightly for better ground operations.

- You can now toggle the headlights separately from the cabin lights. Both cabin lights and headlights will turn on when you tap on the Lights button.

Buffalo Crew Cab

- Reworked the crew cab to include doors and ladders on its sides.

- Added a small amount of inventory space.

Bug Fixes

- The Buckboard MC-1000's decal glows again.

- Fixed file paths for several Buffalo parts so they'll show up again.

- Moved Trailer Hitch to Utility.

- Moved Chassis Decoupler to Structural.

Is there any chance that we could possibly see this on CKAN anytime soon? It would be greatly appreciated. Amazing work by the way, I absolutely love it.

I haven't had much luck with CKAN and it tends to cause support issues, but I'll put that on the list for the next release. If there is a way to tell CKAN to force download and replace everything, then that would help. :)

I haven't had much luck with CKAN and it tends to cause support issues, but I'll put that on the list for the next release. If there is a way to tell CKAN to force download and replace everything, then that would help. :)

I see. Thanks a bunch for the quick response and please keep up the excellent work. :-)

Hey Angel, just curious, a while back I posted a PDF about the MSEV and in it was essentially a dockable space exploration vehicle (I call it Space sub) for probing asteroids with robotic arms. Is there anyway you can make an Orbit worthy variant. Maybe not go all out with robot arms, but just something similar.

Hey Angel, just curious, a while back I posted a PDF about the MSEV and in it was essentially a dockable space exploration vehicle (I call it Space sub) for probing asteroids with robotic arms. Is there anyway you can make an Orbit worthy variant. Maybe not go all out with robot arms, but just something similar.

Maaayyyybe.... ;)

either it's some data error, OR someone really messed up, giving the inflated storage module 12k+ of volume, but only 4 item space... fix please?

Well, it does expand outward to provide a larger storage area.. :) It should only provide a good amount of storage after expansion, not in its stowed size. If that is not the case then it is a bug.

Ok, I double-checked. Here is a screenshot comparing the Wagon to the Buckboard MC-2000:

VmU0B6u.jpg

The MC-2000 is twice as long as an SC-62 KIS container, so that's the equivalent of 12 SC-62 containers.

Edited by Angel-125

either it's some data error, OR someone really messed up, giving the inflated storage module 12k+ of volume, but only 4 item space... fix please?

I think he means the Item slots (slotsX and slotsY) not the volyme , which regulate the number of diffrent item you can store in the KIS storage. and they are indeed set to 2 x2. It is easy to change in the CFG-file. I marked the things to change in the code sippet below.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleKISInventory

maxVolume = 100

externalAccess = true

internalAccess = false

slotsX = 2

slotsY = 2

slotSize = 50

itemIconResolution = 128

selfIconResolution = 128

openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerOpen

closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/containerClose

defaultMoveSndPath = KIS/Sounds/itemMove

}

I think he means the Item slots (slotsX and slotsY) not the volyme , which regulate the number of diffrent item you can store in the KIS storage. and they are indeed set to 2 x2. It is easy to change in the CFG-file. I marked the things to change in the code sippet below.

Ohhhhh! Ok, yup, definitely gonna fix that, thanks! :)

np, just filed some issues on github, to make it easier to remember different small changes. I hope you dont mind. I, like most people tends to forget things when I get absorbed in working on things

Edited by Prime flux

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.