[Min KSP 1.12.2] Buffalo: NASA Inspired Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

19 minutes ago, Arcane Intervention said:

Glad to here it, couldn't find anything about KEI but i'm looking forward to trying out DSEV.  It great to see someone out there making such a cohesive set of mods, but i must ask again, does ANYONE know what fits in the back of a buffalo cargo bay?

Buckboards do...

Buffalo Wings 2.0.0 is now available:

The Buffalo Modular Space Exploration Vehicle (MSEV) is designed for a wide variety of environments. While previous releases focused upon rover and spacecraft components, this release introduces Buffalo's aircraft components; now you can fly the Buffalo to various destinations!

New Parts

- WB-22 "Typhoon" Tiltrotor: This tiltrotor is designed for both horizontal and vertical flight. You can control the tilt angle via the new VTOL Manager GUI; just look for the helicopter icon in the app toolbar. For compact storage, the tiltrotor's blades can be folded. It is powered by ElectricCharge and takes in Atmosphere (found on Kerbin, Laythe, Eve, Duna, and others).

- WB-44 "Hurricane" Tiltrotor: This is a larger, heavy-lift version of the WB-22.

- Compressed Air RCS Thruster: Instead of running on Monopropellant, this RCS thruster runs on Compressed Air (produced by the WB-22 and WB-44).

- GTG-125 Gas Turbine Generator: Similar to a jet engine, the gas turbine generator is throttle-controlled and consumes LiquidFuel/IntakeAir. But instead of generating thrust, it generates large amounts of ElectricCharge.

- GTG-250: This is a larger version of the GTG-125.

- Buffalo Half-Service Bay: As its name sounds, this part is half the length of the Buffalo Service Bay. It can hold a single Buckboard 1000.

- Buffalo Wing Root: Specially designed for the Buffalo rover, the Wing Root gives you a place to attach wings, and it can store resources.

- Buffalo Wing: This wing fits the new tiltrotor. There are 4 types.

- Type 1 Buffalo Elevon: This elevon fits the Type 4 Buffalo Wing.

- Buffalo Winglet: This winglet is rougly equivalent to the stock AV-R8 Winglet, but done in pork-alike fashion.

- Buffalo Canard: A half-sized version of the winglet.

- Chassis 3u: 3x the size of the Chassis 1u, with 3x the storage capacity.

- S.A.F.E.R. : The Safe Affordable Fission Engine with Radiators generates ElectricCharge for your spacecraft needs. It is based upon the real-world SAFE - 400 reactor created by NASA.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Moved the Flatbeds to the Payload tab.
- Moved the Flex Fuel Power Pack to the Electrical tab.
- The Flex Fuel Power Pack is now available after unlocking the Electrics node. The available flex fuel generators increases as you unlock more tech nodes.
- Both the Tundra 200 and Tundra 400 storage tanks now have rooftop solar arrays.
- The Grizzly and Bear Cub wheels now have the ability to decouple and self-destruct.
- Moved the Bear Cub to the Miniaturization tech node.

46 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

How exactly do I control the tilt rotors? I can't seem to get a design to fly right in hover mode, no matter how hard I try...

You need to carefully balance your aircraft in the VAB/SPH before attempting to fly. The best way to do that is to install your tiltrotors, point them to maximum, and then turn on the center of mass and center of thrust indicators. Make sure those indicators line up. If you have the Heisenberg mod installed, I included a sample craft, the KV-8 Kestrel, which is a tilt-fan design that is balanced properly.

An easier way to do it is to install two sets of tilt rotors, and use Thrust Controlled Avionics to control them.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Kinda figured that, but the new GUI is... confusing.

How so? You tilt the rotors up for vertical flight, tilt them forward for horizontal flight. You can turn the engines on/off, and reverse thrust to slow down. You also have the fine tune controls to pivot the rotors.

38 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

But how does the vertical speed control work?

To activate hover mode, press the "TOGL HOVR" button. The button text turns yellow. Press it again to turn off hover mode.  The VSPD buttons control your vertical speed. 0 sets your vertical speed to 0, - decreases your vertical speed by 1-meter per second per click, and + increases vertical speed by the same amount. These are pretty much the same controls that the JetWing has used for some time now. :)

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

To activate hover mode, press the "TOGL HOVR" button. The button text turns yellow. Press it again to turn off hover mode.  The VSPD buttons control your vertical speed. 0 sets your vertical speed to 0, - decreases your vertical speed by 1-meter per second per click, and + increases vertical speed by the same amount. These are pretty much the same controls that the JetWing has used for some time now. :)

Hate to say it, but I think something has broken :/ at least With your sample craft setting the hover speed to -1 from 0 caused me to drop from the sky at 30+m/s. Not sure why, the craft I built (the one that I remembered to put a tail on) flew very well. The reactor was running, I had been hovering with fans up and flying with fans forward for some time. Anyone else seen this?

Edited by Arcane Intervention
A letter

43 minutes ago, Arcane Intervention said:

Hate to say it, but I think something has broken :/ at least With your sample craft setting the hover speed to -1 from 0 caused me to drop from the sky at 30+m/s. Not sure why, the craft I built (the one that I remembered to put a tail on) flew very well. The reactor was running, I had been hovering with fans up and flying with fans forward for some time. Anyone else seen this?

Nope, definitely not seeing that. The Kestrel flies just fine for me.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:13 PM, Angel-125 said:

You need to carefully balance your aircraft in the VAB/SPH before attempting to fly. The best way to do that is to install your tiltrotors, point them to maximum, and then turn on the center of mass and center of thrust indicators. Make sure those indicators line up. If you have the Heisenberg mod installed, I included a sample craft, the KV-8 Kestrel, which is a tilt-fan design that is balanced properly.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could get the Pandora to fly? With Buffalo wings that is. She's really heavy, but very finely balanced to land as a VTOL in a vacuum... I'll have to try it later today.

8 hours ago, Arcane Intervention said:

I am happy to say that i made a bad call. In a new save, the thing flies like a dream. It flies so well in fact, that i landed it on the VAB. UPSIDE DOWN:

Glad to see it working for you. :) I make sure that the Kestrel was well balanced before releasing it to the wild. The only downside is that you have to warm up the nuclear reactor slowly; increase the throttle a bit at a time so that the ElectricCharge draw  doesn't outpace the reactor's output. And if you add CompressedAir RCS thrusters to it (the fans can generate CompressedAir), it'll be even easier to fly- you can make precision landings with it.

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmm... I wonder if I could get the Pandora to fly? With Buffalo wings that is. She's really heavy, but very finely balanced to land as a VTOL in a vacuum... I'll have to try it later today.

Buffalo'w WB-22 tiltrotors would be a good fit. I'd suggest a quad tiltrotor design, like so:

2lPJDFB.png

ipn0T06.png

The Hover Manager can handle tilting all four rotors at once. One S.A.F.E.R. is enough to power a single tilt-rotor, though if you have a Mandarin or a couple of Krupp fusion reactors, you're good to go.

Took the Kestrel out for a spin, and landed at the abandoned air field for the first time in playing Kerbal Space Program in two years, lol.  I put a probe core on it, since all my Kerbals are off planet.  I've figure out how to maneuver it in helicopter mode moving at a top forward speed of about 60 m/s, haven't successfully transitioned to horizontal mode without crashing.

q9TvYdG.png

IsQ8POy.png

Edited by Gumby1973

On 4/19/2017 at 8:22 PM, Arcane Intervention said:

I had the same sort of problem trying to land after being in horizontal flight.  I wound up having a bumpy landing.  When I just used helicopter mode with the fans up, the hover mode was working just fine and I was able to land vertically quite easy.  I think part of the problem might be with it monitoring the upward thrust.  I think having it in horizontal flight at greater speeds throws off what it thinks it needs to do for vertical descent and throttles back the fans too much.

On 4/11/2017 at 5:07 AM, Angel-125 said:

t5kH6Pk.png

36GhlPW.png

Only thing left is the nuclear reactor to power the rotors on Duna & Eve...

would it be possible to get the craft file for this plane, mine is so unbalanced i wanna pull your apart and see how you made it :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.