New theory on Kerbal civilization!

Tex

Attention, boys and girls and otherwise! I have a brand new theory (unless someone theorized it before I did... I haven't seen anything exactly like it before, so.) regarding Kerbal civilization, the purpose of the Space Program, and many many other little details.

As we all know, the entire Kerbal civilization appears to be concentrated on two places on the surface of Kerbin: KSC1 (which here includes the island airbase) and KSC2. No other significant structures exist apart from scattered monoliths and other anomalies across Kerbin's surface. The reason for this is widely debated and many many theories have been cooked up over the years to explain this. Maybe they live underground, maybe the KSC workers are the only ones left, maybe they're aliens that crash-landed and called this place home. However, my theory explains just about everything, and in true scientific fashion I even have a research source! Yay science!

The Theory

Kerbals do indeed live underground, but they do so for a very specific reason: Harmful ultraviolet radiation hinders Kerbal lifespan on the surface of Kerbin, forcing them to mainly live underground to protect themselves and live longer. The Kerbal Space Program is a method for developing new radiation-resistant structures, vehicles, and clothing that will allow Kerbals to live on the surface of Kerbin.

The Background Information

Kerbin has NO magnetic field whatsoever. While there is no way to be exactly sure a body like Kerbin wouldn't have one, as Kerbals have yet to perform (or at least share their results of) analysis on the interior of Kerbin to determine if the planet has the requirements for producing a magnetic field, there is also the fact that Kerbin is not programmed to have a magnetic field, nor is any other celestial body within the game. Because of this fact, it can also be assumed that while Kerbin does have an atmosphere, it does not have a proper layer of ozone that filters out UV radiation that the home star, Kerbol, produces. The same argument can be made that Kerbol is not programmed to emit UV radiation (because, of course, it isn't), but it does emit or is the source of light in the Kerbol system. This light is evidence that Kerbol does produce the spectra of radiation similar to our own Sun, and also allows for the trees and grasses on Kerbin to survive. Players have also theorized that Kerbals, because of their green skin, can use Kerbol's energy to photosynthesize for long periods of time with no need for tedious life support systems, which is an idea I subscribe to as well, and, in fact, include in my theory.

Because of the lack of an ozone layer, which filters out the particular section of UV radiation designated UV-C that comprises roughly 91.2% of the UV spectrum (Hollosy 1), a much, much larger amount of UV light and radiation is allowed to reach the surface of Kerbin. While this has no real beneficial effects on the growth of plants, UV radiation is harmful for organisms, thus leading to Kerbals living underground and allowing the surface of Kerbin to protect them.

The Textwall

I theorize that because of this, because Kerbals would naturally want to live on the surface of the planet they live on, the Kerbal Space program was established in order to test different ways to negate the negative effects of radiation. Why don't Kerbals walk around the KSC? Maybe they don't want to be out and about during a rocket launch, but maybe it's because they're either not allowed to be outside due to the radiation (policies, policies...) or are scared enough they don't want to for fear of being damaged. Kerbal astronauts are safe in their space suits because the suits must be made of some material that absorbs UV radiation, and the same fabrics or what have you are simply to expensive yet to be made into regular clothing. Kerbals are safe inside buildings as the walls and windows are thick enough and made with special materials that protect them from radiation. In the VAB and SPH, kerbals can be seen walking around inside even though the huge hangar doors are open, but they are safe because they are never in direct sunlight.

I think that KSC2 might have been the original space complex, but was abandoned as the structures weren't strong enough to protect Space Program workers from radiation, and the same goes for the Island Airfield. I also think that more than being a testing ground for kerbal architecture, I think having a Space Program makes sense for kerbals because although they may simply be fascinated by engineering and space, perhaps they are wanting to study celestial bodies in the Kerbol system to try and find a new home planet, one that could potentially be safer than Kerbin is.

Source: http://www.pucrs.br/fabio/fisiovegetal/EfeitoUV.pdf

I may update or edit this theory as I think up new stuff that either doesn't agree with it or fits the story, but that's my idea in a nutshell!

Feel free to reply, criticize, help support, or argue against this theory.

You know, as a matter of fact, Laythe was pretty much the celestial body I had in mind the Kerbals would be interested in to colonize... Of course, doing a bit of extra reading tells me there are some other interesting candidates as well.

You know, as a matter of fact, Laythe was pretty much the celestial body I had in mind the Kerbals would be interested in to colonize... Of course, doing a bit of extra reading tells me there are some other interesting candidates as well.

It's interesting reading the lore about Laythe. I read somewhere official (I can't recall where though) that the atmosphere has air, but it isn't breathable. Much like Pandora in Avatar. This means it must have something else in the atmosphere that is fatal. Doesn't mean you couldn't get air from filters though, and there is enough heat from tidal forces to keep the oceans liquid, and enough atmosphere to keep it there. The earthquakes and waves would be hell though.

Very interesting. But:

HxDXwIw.jpg

The Pyramids, obviously ancient and disused structures. There's a statue - a head of a bearded Kerbal in a weird (ceremonial) headdress, sort of a Kerbal pharaoh, as a part of the anomaly complex. It means that the Pyramids were built by the Kerbals, and excludes the theory that their race is not native to Kerbin.

Of course, it could mean that there was an ancient Kerbal civilization above ground, but because of an asteroid impact or some other cataclysm the planet recently lost it ozone layer. But Kerbin has diverse visible plant life, which should probably be quickly killed out if there was such a cataclysm.

Edited by Haruspex

Very interesting. BUT: The Pyramids, obviously ancient and disused structures.

Ah. I actually avoided using them for spoiling anomalies for other users. Besides, I stated that

As we all know' date=' the entire Kerbal civilization appears to be concentrated on two places on the surface of Kerbin: KSC1 (which here includes the island airbase) and KSC2. No other significant structures exist apart from scattered monoliths and other anomalies across Kerbin's surface.[/quote']

and was making a generalization, because apart from the pyramids those are the only places that evidence of Kerbal architecture is found. Even using the Pyramids as evidence, I offer the counterargument that these pyramids were likely constructed in an era when it was not understood why Kerbal lifespan was significantly shorter, and the effects of the space radiation were not known to have such damaging effects. Like the Egyptian's pyramids, these are simply monuments to a time thousands of years past.

Oh, also:

the Pyramids were built by the Kerbals, and excludes the theory that their race is not native to Kerbin.

I realize this, and don't really think that the Kerbals were not native to Kerbin. I only listed it as a theory I'd heard, and can actually come up with a convincing piece of evidence for the theory but again want to avoid spoilers.

Its going to be very hard to grow plants down there.

Sorry for missing this point for so long!

Actually, across my research I discovered that plant's don't need and UV light at all to grow. They function on visible light, the tiny tiny tiny teeny tiny portion of the EM spectrum that we see. As long as the plants Kerbals grow to process into their endless variety of snack products have the correct colors of light, it wouldn't be hard to set up large-scale hydroponic farms. Of course, maybe they hunt hitherto-unknown fish underwater, or maybe occasionally pop to the surface to snag fruits from trees. Or, because of their ability to photosynthesize, maybe they just let the lights in their own homes take care of the feeding.

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 7:05 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

It's interesting reading the lore about Laythe. I read somewhere official (I can't recall where though) that the atmosphere has air, but it isn't breathable. Much like Pandora in Avatar. This means it must have something else in the atmosphere that is fatal. Doesn't mean you couldn't get air from filters though, and there is enough heat from tidal forces to keep the oceans liquid, and enough atmosphere to keep it there. The earthquakes and waves would be hell though.

of course it has air In the atmosphere, 'air' just means gasses in atmospheres. the water on laythe must be ammonia rich/very salty for it to not freeze. laythe seems to be like earth 3,000,000,000 years ago. when you run an atmosphere analysis on laythe, it says the air is similar to kerbins, and it wont kill you... very quickly. the air may have some sort of bacteria, or may have lots of ozone near sea level. when you do an EVA report on laythe it says that you take your helmet off, but you do not die. the air could have lots of ammonia from the water, which may be dangerous. I did some research on the temperature of Europa (since Europa seems like a frozen laythe, and is close to Jupiter, its temperature is -160C) , and greenhouse warming, and this is how hot laythe should be: -160 + 30 = 130 degrees Celsius. I'll add an extra 10C for uranium inside laythe, so then get 120, and add another 20c for being tidally locked, so laythe with an earth like atmosphere should be -100c. laythe could have a 10% carbon dioxide atmosphere, which would account for the mild toxicity, and would account for (probably) 10 more degrees of warming. since jool is closer to its sun than Jupiter, I will increase that temperature by a further 20c. -70c. if anyone could calculate how much ammonia/salt is needed for laythes oceans to be liquid. Laythe reminds me of a colder and smaller and moonier (is that even a word) version of Kepler62f. P.S, Kepler62F is my favourite planet

I think that kerbals lived aboveground, and then colonized deep space. then a cataclysmic event wiped out hundreds of colonies,causing them to return home. when they go back, they found the  civilization in complete ruin. a solar flare had long since torn away the magnetosphere, baking the kerbals and other animals alive in UV radiation. all but the most resilliant structures had been lost to the sands of time, save a runway or two and some ancient pyramids. the kerbals were surprised by another solar flare, causing their saucer like ships to crash. a few landed on kerbin and the mun, and many died. those on the mun died quickly, without an infinite source of oxygen. On Kerbin, the crash survivors dug under the ground and began plotting their escape...

It's an interesting theory but I have a couple of problems with it.

UV radiation is also harmful to all organisms - it can disrupt plant photosynthesis and it'll chew up plant DNA as happily as DNA from any other species. I've seen mixed reports on that though - it's possible that Kerbin plant life could be unusually UV resistant.

More importantly, I'm not sure that a lack of magnetic field would prevent ozone from forming. I thought (but could be wrong) that ozone is formed by the interaction of oxgygen molecules with ultraviolet light. Given that Kerbin does have plant life and that jet engines apparently work in it's atmosphere, we can assume that it's atmosphere contains oxygen. Or at least that's the simplest assumption - figuring out an entirely new chemistry / biochemistry for Kerbin is more worldbuilding than I care to do! :)

So Kerbin probably would have an ozone layer, hence UV-C wouldn't be the level of problem that you're supposing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 2:15 AM, KSK said:

It's an interesting theory but I have a couple of problems with it.

UV radiation is also harmful to all organisms - it can disrupt plant photosynthesis and it'll chew up plant DNA as happily as DNA from any other species. I've seen mixed reports on that though - it's possible that Kerbin plant life could be unusually UV resistant.

More importantly, I'm not sure that a lack of magnetic field would prevent ozone from forming. I thought (but could be wrong) that ozone is formed by the interaction of oxgygen molecules with ultraviolet light. Given that Kerbin does have plant life and that jet engines apparently work in it's atmosphere, we can assume that it's atmosphere contains oxygen. Or at least that's the simplest assumption - figuring out an entirely new chemistry / biochemistry for Kerbin is more worldbuilding than I care to do! :)

So Kerbin probably would have an ozone layer, hence UV-C wouldn't be the level of problem that you're supposing. 

I don't even remember writing that... lol :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.