What is your favorite stock engine?

Mad Rocket Scientist

Yeah, there are a lot of engines. 2 size 0 rocket engines, 3 size 1 (LV series) rocket engines, 3 size 2 (Rockomax) rocket engines, 2 size 3 (Kerbodyne) rocket engines, 3 radial rocket engines, the nuclear engine, the rapier engine, the ion engine, the monopropellant engine, 1 LFB, 5 SRBs (including the sepratron) and 2 jet engines. Arguably also the escape tower and RCS ports. And then there's going to be at least two more in 1.1 1.0.5

EDIT: Oh, and the aerospike. I knew I'd missed something.

I like the RT-10 because stacking them and using explosive staging is always fun.

Edited by TheMoonRover

My favorite is the Spark. It's a low powered engine with so many uses. I have used it in my LM replicas (notably as the ascent stage), and also, I love it because it's so efficient. I can slap the smallest 1m fuel tank and with the Spark that's like 2km/s of DV. It's under credited, I don't see anyone using it, yet it has so many uses!

On a side note, the aerospike is the WORST engine. It sure has good efficiency, but it's almost as heavy as the nuclear engine!! Moreover, it doesn't gimbal making flight harder on a rocket. Lastly, it has NO BOTTOM NODE, ie, you can't put anything under the engine!! I read the wiki about it and the idea is that it's a space plane specific engine, but I still find it a crappy excuse. The RAPIER has a bottom attachment node, why not the aerospike? The aerospike would be my second favorite if it was slightly lighter and could decouple. End of rant.

When the new aerospike is out, that will probably be my favourite.

Until then, I have to say the Poodle, as well.

Happy landings!

ETA: And yes, the Skipper is a great engine as well.

Wait, what new aerospike?

*looks stuff up*

THE HYPE IS REAL.

I use the Rhino engine way too much. Maybe that's my favorite, but it's hard to tell, since they're all useful for different purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite is the Spark. It's a low powered engine with so many uses. I have used it in my LM replicas (notably as the ascent stage), and also, I love it because it's so efficient. I can slap the smallest 1m fuel tank and with the Spark that's like 2km/s of DV. It's under credited, I don't see anyone using it, yet it has so many uses!

On a side note, the aerospike is the WORST engine. It sure has good efficiency, but it's almost as heavy as the nuclear engine!! Moreover, it doesn't gimbal making flight harder on a rocket. Lastly, it has NO BOTTOM NODE, ie, you can't put anything under the engine!! I read the wiki about it and the idea is that it's a space plane specific engine, but I still find it a crappy excuse. The RAPIER has a bottom attachment node, why not the aerospike? The aerospike would be my second favorite if it was slightly lighter and could decouple. End of rant.

Oh, the new aerospike coming in 1.0.5 has a bottom attachment node.

:)Ant. Funny exhaust but still useful engine. This is even my mostly-used payload engine (although largely because most of my in-flight probes are small satellites)
Wait, what new aerospike?

*looks stuff up*

THE HYPE IS REAL.

I use the Rhino engine way too much. Maybe that's my favorite, but it's hard to tell, since they're all useful for different purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the new aerospike coming in 1.0.5 has a bottom attachment node.

Thank Jeb!

Have to love the kicker (SRB). Started with way too much reliance on RT-10 ("can of boom") but economics, nerfs, and the general usefulness of the kicker pushed it ahead. It probably remains even after the post 1.0.x nerfs to SRBs.

Yes, it counts. Just look under the engine tab and you will find all the SRBs.

48-7S "Spark". Very good for delta v for anything less than 4 tonnes. Although, I love the "Dawn" as well. For bigger rockets, I love the "Aerospike." It just looks really cool and mostly efficient, but I like the looks more than anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.