SpaceX Autonomous SpacePort Drone Ship (ASDS) [1.2.X]

sciencepanda

Much better, like the containers.

:P still gotta finish those. Didn't include the partially finished ones in the screenshots cause they look really crappy with only a quarter of them done lol

Edited by ym101

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, johnnyhandsome said:

I don't see any attachment points to put a rocket on it. So I've lauched it outta the Hanger and am "walking" it down the runaway to the ocean (reaction wheels set to normal).

This is silly!

I did add attachment points, I don't know why they wouldn't be showing up. I'll look into it.

Ok, I dropped it into water via HyperEdit, since walking it down the runway to put it in the water didn't seem to do much once the ship was in water.

Now it's in the water with via HyperEdit and I have to ask, is the ship supposed to move? Because it doesn't seem to want to move, i.e. go forward and backward. It'll turn, but otherwise not move. 

Checked for attachment points again, after grabbing either a fuel tank or engine from the parts menu. The only point that shows up is the one in the center.

34 minutes ago, johnnyhandsome said:

Ok, I dropped it into water via HyperEdit, since walking it down the runway to put it in the water didn't seem to do much once the ship was in water.

Now it's in the water with via HyperEdit and I have to ask, is the ship supposed to move? Because it doesn't seem to want to move, i.e. go forward and backward. It'll turn, but otherwise not move. 

Checked for attachment points again, after grabbing either a fuel tank or engine from the parts menu. The only point that shows up is the one in the center.

IIRC, this issue is from not using HyperEdit properly.... Re-read the instructions... (I know, its kinda confusing)

• 1 month later...

What exactly is the difference betwixt this ASDS & the one that's included in Kartoffelkuchen's SpaceX launcher-pack?

Also, is it possible to add a second texture-mesh to make it either JRtI or OCISLY?

Edited by StevieC

22 hours ago, StevieC said:

What exactly is the difference betwixt this ASDS & the one that's included in Kartoffelkuchen's SpaceX launcher-pack?

To be honest, i haven't used Kart's ASDS, so I'm not completely sure exactly what the differences are. There are a few texture and model differences, but I'm not sure about specifics.

22 hours ago, StevieC said:

Also, is it possible to add a second texture-mesh to make it either JRtI or OCISLY?

Actually, the differences between JRTI and OCISLY are more than just textures, it's actually modeling too. I already have the model made, but I'm waiting on textures. I'm not too good with textures, so my friend ym101 usually does the textures for me. So it's in the works. Unfortunately I can't give an estimate on release, because I'm not the one working on it.

On 5 November 2015 at 3:09 PM, sciencepanda said:

Just gonna leave this here.....

X1DFzHl.png

and this

GuffOfe.png

Yes, i put a boat in orbit around a gas giant.... don't ask why... just accept that it's insane and move on...

Now try landing a Falcon 9 first stage on it. :P

Update on Progress

So I've finished modeling a new ASDS. I've imported them into the game, but I'm still waiting on textures..... I've also added thrusters to help move the ASDS to water, and move it in water. 

So obviously I brought pictures.

On the Runway

xoPS1wy.png

Supersonic

QRbXjw2.png

Water.

yIFAmpp.png

Also, I found a glitch. It likes to jump for joy whenever you return to it after stepping away.

Edited by sciencepanda

• 8 months later...

1xKAzDR.png

I'd call this a pretty nice view. 

Update 1.3 is LIVE!!!!! 

Newly updated textures, updated model, added thrusters (rcs) for maneuverability, and ballast.

On 6/26/2016 at 0:33 AM, DavidHunter said:

A supersonic ASDS.

Only in Kerbal.

:D

Yes..... also, this only happens in kerbal:

Jm6UD0L.png

N57jfDS.png

25 minutes ago, sciencepanda said:

1xKAzDR.png

I'd call this a pretty nice view. 

Update 1.3 is LIVE!!!!! 

Newly updated textures, updated model, added thrusters (rcs) for maneuverability, and ballast.

Yes..... also, this only happens in kerbal:

Jm6UD0L.png

N57jfDS.png

GREAT!

Of course I still love this mod!

Hey I'm ym101, the texture designer. Let me know if you get any texture issues or see anything that is not true to the real thing, or if you have any suggestions/ complaints. I'm working on a slight improvement for current shipping container textures, as I think the textures are a little too high in contrast.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

That's awesome! You should change the F9 textures though to roasted heh for realism :P

Yeah I know, but I can't in this install. I have a separate KSP install for mod development. I only install the mods needed testing. Installing the texture switch mod would be unnecessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.