[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I\'ve seen alot.

Though,

actual players

like skm03,

and trydyingtolive.

but the thing is, mechjeb kinda takes all piloting skill away,

I saw some post 'lol noob just use mechjeb 2 get 2 the moon'

and I almost shoved my palm through my face.

I don\'t care about the people who use it.

I care about the people who brag.

What\'s sad is when people think other people think they\'re pro for using mechjeb, while all they are doing is praizing mechjeb\'s accuracy.

The final objective of a game is for people to enjoy it. While some of us enjoy rocket-wrestling and don\'t have any problem landing on the Mun without even SAS, some prefer the rocket-building side of the game, or just like the visuals.

Here isn\'t the place to discuss how the game should be played, or how people should behave about their accomplishments on the forum, so please refrain from doing that.

Ok ... been lurking here as a guest for quite awhile .... time to take the plunge. ... Gotta agree with Aegrim. I did all the usual stuff with the Demo Version ... by hand. (you know, Launch, Orbit, Mun, Mun Landing, Safe Return, Safe Return to Space Port & Rendezvous) I only broke down and bought the updated version after I found MechJeb. Because all that stuff is .... Tedious .... (imagine that said with an exasperated sigh). MechJeb lets us do way cool stuff with all the other features because is saves hours and hours of gameplay time which would otherwise be spent doing stuff we already know how to do anyway.

I\'d make the suggestion that some form of MechJeb be incorporated into the basic release.... (but, of course, I\'m too new here to make suggestions) .... perhaps MechJeb\'s features could be unlocked as the newbees mastered each new skill.

i installed it... you move the .dll to plugins and then it should work when you launch something right?

not happening for me..

does mac mean anything?

I guess it doesn\'t work because you didn\'t add a Mechjeb part to your rocket after installing/adding the plugin.

Posted this in the general support thread but was referred here by moderator:

I tried to use mechjeb\'s ability to 'keep alive' the debris to make deployable 'landing probes' that piggyback onto my main vessel i but got some problems:

even if i have an SAS on my probe i cannot alter the course without using the engines. there is no response at all to wasd when engines off. I can throttle and engage SAS ok, and steer when the engines are running (although with some strange limits, as sometimes not able to turn left etc.)

when i add RCS i can use those with wasd, but their behavior is also strange, as in mirrored effects etc. (turn occurs in direction of plume, not all RCS ports venting etc. )

i can operate landing gear just fine.

I have tried this with the probe constructed above and below the command module, but the error occurs in both cases.

Initially i did not think this was due to mechjeb, it seems like there is a bug with how the axises of the child vessel is set up when it detaches, but i was referred here. Could it be an issue with mj?

I\'ve attached a ship to demonstrate, requires mechjeb 1.8.4 and novapunch 1.2 beta, but the bug can be recreated with stock parts as well. (+ mechjeb o.c.)

I think he already had a MJ module on it.

But Cherenkov, it\'s true, MJ controlled debris doesn\'t work flawlessly.

Besides the very slow and sometimes plain wrong rotations experienced, MJ also activates all stages, SRB\'s and LFE\'s (when thrust is on) when it\'s decoupled.

just downloaded and installed this! i have only used a few of the basic functions as of yet, but it is really boosting the playability of the game for me! props to all involved :D

one very small quibble for me is that there is no readout for remaining fuel, perhaps another parameter for the surface/orbit information panels?

help please

whenever i launch a spaceplane down the runway on a 90 degree heading it always turns to the left. I now launch my planes manually but I really want to set up an autopilot to get into orbit

I don\'t think that The runway is perfectly lined up with 90 degrees, try headings a degree or two to the side of 90, or better still, perform your take-off manually :)

just downloaded and installed this! i have only used a few of the basic functions as of yet, but it is really boosting the playability of the game for me! props to all involved :D

one very small quibble for me is that there is no readout for remaining fuel, perhaps another parameter for the surface/orbit information panels?

If you search the forums for 'Improved Fuel Gauges', there\'s a part that does just that.

If you search the forums for 'Improved Fuel Gauges', there\'s a part that does just that.

I believe I have seen that, however it does not appear to give a value for the remaining fuel on the whole craft, just on individual tanks

Is there a way to use the 1.3 version of MechJeb? I can\'t afford the game at the moment (and probably not real soon) but would love to use it to get to Mun.

Like all plugin-based mods, MechJeb is only compatible with v0.14 and higher. There never was a v0.13-compatible version.

Is this plugin still being worked on? There haven\'t been any updates for a while. I know it\'s probably because of the 0.16 update coming soon, but it would be nice to have some bugs being fixed here and there.

Hey!

From me too: You guys did a wonderful job with this Plug-In!!

Not that I spent much time on this game anyways, but now it\'s even more....

:-D

I have just one question/problem: When I click on the 'Online Manual' button, it refers me to the MechJebWiki with the manual, which unfortunately is a few month old and hasn\'t the explanation of the Rendevous application.

I want to Rendevous but it doesn\'t work properly, maybe because I have no idea what the buttons do (c;

Keep on your good work!

Edit: Maybe it\'s a stupid question, but do you need Rendevous Engines to automaticly Rendevous?

I don\'t know if this has been addressed already but it is a rather serious shortcoming of Mechjeb:

Is seems that mechjeb currently does not utilize SAS units that are on a vessel.

The attached vessel is intentionally unstable (asymmetrical) to demonstrate that mechjeb can not keep is stable at all,

but ASAS and even SAS alone can keep it somewhat stable.

With mechjeb the craft gets barely a few 100m off the ground before diving back down. Without mechjeb it makes altitude just fine, be it at a bit of an angle while it\'s directed to go straight up.