[1.1] VesselMover v1.5 (+Vessel spawning, toolbar ui) - Apr 25

BahamutoD

VesselMover v1.5

Pick up, move, rotate, and place landed vessels quickly and easily.

Download from GitHub

Installation:

Extract the folder called "VesselMover" to KSP's GameData folder.

Usage:

Use the toolbar menu buttons to pick up or place a vessel. It must be landed or splashed down in order to pick it up.

Use pitch/yaw (WASD by default) to move around.

Use roll (Q/E by default) to roll, and translation buttons (IJKL by default) to rotate pitch and yaw.

Use translate fwd/back (H or N by default) to auto rotate planes and rockets respectively to level/upright.

Press Tab to toggle speed modes.
For long distances, it works well to use "Ludicrous speed" in map mode!

Click spawn vessel to open the craft browser.  Select a craft, then select a place to spawn it.  
It will spawn in vessel-move mode so you can reposition it or rotate it before placing it down.

Video Demonstration:

License: MIT

Source: https://github.com/BahamutoD/VesselMover

Edited by BahamutoD

Awesome! That'll be very useful for when those base modules land just a few meters too far apart!

I'd like to see a "descramble" plugin for when those base modules just land a few meters too close (that seems to be my problem, hahaha)

This is awesome. Just a thought: f you added a GUI so you could zoom out to map mode and drag the model across a planet (or place a marker, then select the vessel and have it automatically shift coordinates to that point), you'd be able to place anything anywhere! :)

Total global warfare, without the fuss! :D

VesselMover v1.0

Pick up, move, rotate, and place landed vessels quickly and easily.

Download from KerbalStuff

Installation:

Extract the folder called "VesselMover" to KSP's GameData folder.

Usage:

Press Alt-P to pick up and place vessel. It must be landed or splashed down in order to pick it up. (Not time, I mean movement speed)

Use the WASD keys to move around, and Q or E to rotate.

Video Demonstration:

License: GPLv3

Source: https://github.com/BahamutoD/VesselMover

This is.... I didn't know I needed it, but I did. That is so awesome.

As usual, giving us the most awesome stuff.

Also, if you feel like expanding, I think a 4x speed or similar button would be neat, for extra speed when moving the thing.

After speed adjustments, adding keys for height adjustment would be awesome. This reminds me of slewing in MS Flight Simulator.

Other ideas I have, which would mimic hyperedit functionality would be an input for coordinate insta-transport, while keeping the rest of the movement-ability intact upon arrival. Rotation of the craft on multiple axis, maybe using modifier keys to swap the rotation modes. Multi-selection of craft, so one could move more that one craft at a time. I was also thinking about some way for the angle of the terrain/surface under the craft to be matched on the craft you are "holding" at the time, so that moving a craft into a surface with a steep incline could be done without disaster, with a modifier key to override the mode and force zero-angle on the craft in question.

Extremely unlikely wishes would be the ability to select a vessel, move it into a position where the docking ports would align with another vessel, and activate the docking which could either re-insert the craft into physics and force initialize the docking procedure, or force the docking to occur and bring the new craft seamlessly into the selection. That one sounds extremely complicated though.

How does it handle not being used on the surface of a planet? Actually, I would think space-slewing would be simpler since you don't need to try and maintain a radial orientation with the ground.. but if you were to slew into a planet, you'd want some way to transition into surface-relative slewing.

Either way, I'm going to go dig through your code. This is some awesome stuff. I could see this becoming, eventually, a real-time flight-scene craft editor. At the very least, it's a great tool for setting up scenarios or building a set for a video. I'd love to see this combined with Kerbal Konsttucts to further smooth out the editing of static object positions.

Edited by Gaalidas

Update v1.1

- Added change log

- Added slow and ludicrous speed modes (press tab to toggle)

- Added other rotational axes

- Changed input bindings to use your settings for attitude and translation control to support non-QWERTY keyboards

- Changed controls to follow cardinal directions when in map mode

- Fixed surface relative rotation

- Fixed and improved vessel size calculations

- Vessel size calculations update when vessel is rotated

- Smoother pick-up action

- Faster yet more gentle put-down action

Here's some updated instructions:

Press Alt-P to pick up and place vessel. It must be landed or splashed down in order to pick it up.

Use pitch/yaw (WASD by default) to move around.

Use roll (Q/E by default) to roll, and translation buttons (IJKL by default) to rotate pitch and yaw.

Press Tab to toggle speed modes.

Press Alt-P again to put down.

For long distances, it works well to use "Ludicrous speed" in map mode!