[1.0.4] AirPark

Smelly

hey I found this works great with VesselMover to re-orient craft however you want to get that perfect dynamic still shot. With the vessel parked, toggle on VesselMover then unpark and use the VM keys to rotate/roll/spin the craft and then re-park and place it, which will remove the VM indicator but the craft will not be landed on the ground, it will stay in the air as-is. I've already put in a request to add an altitude change to VM.

10 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

I've already put in a request to add an altitude change to VM.

Was discussing something similar in this issue here as a possible solution to another problem.  I have also gotten somewhat familiar with VesselMovers' code and may attempt to code the changes myself and do a PR as Pappajoe is pretty busy with BDArmory. Waiting for 1.2 to settle down a bit, there are some other interesting things popping up during testing.

Hi. just my two cents worth, re altitude change, I don't think its needed,  and I've a feeling there's a snag in the procedure envisaged, parking the craft before vessel mover has placed it  is effectively derailing the placing of vessel mover, and doing that unless it's allowed for is not going to end well, eventually it'll throw a fit.  You can already create some neat shots with airpark, just takes a couple of mins to set up.

Spoiler

ALL Airparked

H9HomIk.png

5WSuG1k.png?1

N6sA6H1.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 9/18/2016 at 11:16 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi. just my two cents worth, re altitude change, I don't think its needed,  and I've a feeling there's a snag in the procedure envisaged, parking the craft before vessel mover has placed it  is effectively derailing the placing of vessel mover, and doing that unless it's allowed for is not going to end well, eventually it'll throw a fit.  You can already create some neat shots with airpark, just takes a couple of mins to set up.

Reveal hidden contents

ALL Airparked

H9HomIk.png

5WSuG1k.png?1

N6sA6H1.png

The only reason I need the altitude adjustment in Vessel Mover is that the default 35M height that is hard coded makes it difficult say to drop a plane on an Aircraft Carrier deck. Its just slightly above 35M.

1 hour ago, gomker said:

The only reason I need the altitude adjustment in Vessel Mover is that the default 35M height that is hard coded makes it difficult say to drop a plane on an Aircraft Carrier deck. Its just slightly above 35M.

On consideration and 1.2 violence I retract my previous comment and completely support any altitude adjustment facility and or speed of placing, Closer the better to the intended landing spot would be very desirable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 8:16 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

On consideration and 1.2 violence I retract my previous comment and completely support any altitude adjustment facility and or speed of placing, Closer the better to the intended landing spot would be very desirable.

@Drew Kerman  Awaiting a review from PapaJoe on my Pull Request - this branch has Velocity fixes and Altitude adjustment using Throttle up / Throttle down

https://github.com/gomker/VesselMover/tree/development

Note this is built for latest 1.2 dev build , experimental to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

1.2 version up on SpaceDock

Tool Bar functionality is there however, the part is still required to function. Some work remains to tweak how the toolbar interacts with a VesselModule.

1.2 gravity / physics changes do make this mod unnecessary for parking large vessels as the easing in and out during load is manageable now with KJR update.

I will continue to support this if this continues to be useful to anyone.

1 hour ago, gomker said:

Totally! Unless VesselMover also adds the option to hide the movement cursor when F2 is pressed (HRRRMMM... I think I actually posed that to BahamutoD back in the day, might have to bring it up again for PapaJoe) AirPark is still essential for me to create those perfect image captures...

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 1:05 AM, Darth Jeb said:

I have problem in airparking on Jool and Laythe (haven't tried on other planets). I made an airship with HL labs and was able to park it on kerbin but not on jool and laythe. Please help.

Hey Darth, did you see any screen messages telling you anything?  As far as I know the code that calculates position should work on any celestial body but had not tested.

I will take a look and see whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2016 at 4:50 PM, gomker said:

1.2 version up on SpaceDock

Tool Bar functionality is there however, the part is still required to function. Some work remains to tweak how the toolbar interacts with a VesselModule.

1.2 gravity / physics changes do make this mod unnecessary for parking large vessels as the easing in and out during load is manageable now with KJR update.

AirPark is perfect for use with the Heisenberg, definitely keep going if you have the time. :)

I'm having fun using AirPark. :) I can slow my airship to a near stop and then turn on AirPark. I do have a question though: thus far I've tried using AirPark around KSC, and when I return to the space center, my airship is gone and appears to be recovered. Is that normal behavior? If so, how far away do I need to be in order to stop KSC from recovering my airparked vessel?

46 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm having fun using AirPark. :) I can slow my airship to a near stop and then turn on AirPark. I do have a question though: thus far I've tried using AirPark around KSC, and when I return to the space center, my airship is gone and appears to be recovered. Is that normal behavior? If so, how far away do I need to be in order to stop KSC from recovering my airparked vessel?

In KSP settings you can stop the game from auto-recovering ships around KSC

18 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

First page, right side, called something like "tidy up debris at ksp" (I think, I don't have KSP open)

Ah, no wonder! I saw that but didn't realize that it also pertained to vessel recovery. Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

• 1 month later...

So, something weird is happening with AirPark...

When I leave a vehicle parked in the air, go to the KSC, and then rendezvous with it with another craft the Air-Parked Vehicle looks normal until you get close enough to it and then it just teleports to the ocean/sea only to be destroyed.

How do I counter this? Is it a known glitch in the mod?

12 hours ago, Astrofox said:

When I leave a vehicle parked in the air, go to the KSC, and then rendezvous with it with another craft the Air-Parked Vehicle looks normal until you get close enough to it and then it just teleports to the ocean/sea only to be destroyed.

Shouldn't be anymore - are you using the latest version from here - http://spacedock.info/mod/936/AirPark Continued

//Also this is designed to work with KSP 1.2+ only

Edited by gomker

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue, more or less. I'm on KSP 1.2.2, and I installed it through CKAN, so it should be on the latest version. If I park an aircraft in the air, go back to the space center, quit the game, restart it, and continue the flight, it teleports down to just above the ocean floor, and the button in the airpark window is to park it, rather than unpark it. It does not, however, get destroyed.

13 hours ago, SaintWacko said:

I'm having the same issue, more or less. I'm on KSP 1.2.2, and I installed it through CKAN, so it should be on the latest version. If I park an aircraft in the air, go back to the space center, quit the game, restart it, and continue the flight, it teleports down to just above the ocean floor, and the button in the airpark window is to park it, rather than unpark it. It does not, however, get destroyed.

I don't know how to update CKAN - its reading right from Spacedock, but I have noticed it has both "Airpark" and "Airpark Continued" in its lists

Can you confirmed you have the "Airpark Continued" version or manually install from this location - http://spacedock.info/mod/936/AirPark Continued

17 minutes ago, gomker said:

I don't know how to update CKAN - its reading right from Spacedock, but I have noticed it has both "Airpark" and "Airpark Continued" in its lists

Can you confirmed you have the "Airpark Continued" version or manually install from this location - http://spacedock.info/mod/936/AirPark Continued

I do have AirPark Continued, v0.1.5.5. I don't actually see AirPark in my list. It's probably being filtered out because it isn't updated.

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2017 at 11:55 AM, gomker said:

@Astrofox @SaintWacko

I can confirm I was able to recreate the issue. Bug back from the dead. 

I've opened this to track https://github.com/gomker/AirPark/issues/6 

I ran into the vessel exploding due to reload while over the water issue, and tried to fix it by downloading your source code on github. As far as I can tell, the source code on github doesn't match how the compiled dll works, and I'm wondering if the github repro is out of date or missing some stuff. For example, this code will cause an NRE due to Body never being initialized. But when you park an aircraft using the dll provided, no NRE issue occurs.

//Code Adapted from Hyperedit landing functions 
        //https://github.com/Ezriilc/HyperEdit

public CelestialBody Body { get; set; }
        public double Latitude { get; set; }
        public double Longitude { get; set; }
        public double Altitude { get; set; }
        public double alt;
        public Vector3d teleportPosition;

public void SetAltitudeToCurrent()
        {
            var pqs = Body.pqsController;
            if (pqs == null)
            {
                Destroy(this);
                return;
            }
            var alt = pqs.GetSurfaceHeight(QuaternionD.AngleAxis(Longitude, Vector3d.down) * QuaternionD.AngleAxis(Latitude, Vector3d.forward) * Vector3d.right) - pqs.radius;
            //alt = Math.Max(alt, 0); // No need for underwater check, allow park subs
            Altitude = GetComponent<Vessel>().altitude - alt;
        }

I also noticed that the air park part module is using static variables for critical information such as the parked state of a vessel. Unfortunately for me, I need multiple air park parts on my airship; the airship itself and the aircraft it carries. If I launch the aircraft and they remain in physics range, then toggling air park on one craft will toggle air park on all other aircraft in physics range that also have the air park part. I can fix that as well, but it would really help to know what the dll is doing differently than the source in github.

I've almost got a rewrite working, but my code causes the aircraft/camera to jitter as the plane switches between flying and landed; it appears that the game is doing that..

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help you could provide. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 9:21 PM, Angel-125 said:

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help you could provide

Hey there, sorry for the late response, been out of pocket for a bit, had to rebuild my rig. I recall I was working on this issue and thought I had fixed it.  I am recompiling and getting my debug setup redone and will let you know as soon as I can test / verify. 

As for the source, you may try my "devbranch" it has more up to date code, but it should be merged with master as soon as this is sorted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.