From the Ashes- A follow-up on the SESEOR Programme

Rhyunix

Main redirection page

What came before: SESEOR program

In Memoriam, the brave crew of MunBase One, of the SESEOR Program, who lost their lives for the greater knowledge of their race

Trinity Mun Program Kerbonaut bio and status
Docan Kerman Ex-Aviation Force Engineer On-board X-0 Incapicating, stable
Endun Kerman Ex-Aviation Force Navigator On-board X-0 Normal
Danley Kerman Civilian heavy duty Transport Pilot On-board X-0 Normal
Edrim Kerman Civilian Pilot Instructor On Kerbin Normal
Ania Kerman Civilian Systems and Structure Engineer On Kerbin Normal

Chapter 1- Before, Part 1, just below, you lazy git

Chapter 2- Dusting off

Chapter 3- Preparations

Chapter 4- Selection

Chapter 5- X0 is go

Chapter 6- Transfer

Chapter 7- Troubled horizon

Chapter 8- Repairs

Edited by Rhyunix

Chapter 1- Before

*Evening, two Kerbals are sat on rocking chairs on the porch of a wooden New England house, overlooking the Cape. Rain drips off a tin roof, a haze over the lights of KSC*

Ronland: *Lights cigarette*

Got the shakes again... it's the little things, you know? Seeing our emblem, losing signal on the TV, static on the Radio.

*Looks out the window*

Been raining like this all day you know that

Johnlin: Yea * staring too* you don't like it?

Ronland: ...

Johnlin: Ronland?

Ronland: ... rain's calming, but I've still got the shakes

Johnlin: Not enough, huh?

Ronland: If pills won't do it...

Johnlin: Lets not do this Ronland

Johnlin: I can't tell you enough-

Ronland: But you're still here, still coming back...

Johnlin: It pains me to see you here, like you never moved

Ronland: I still eat, promise you that.

Johnlin: *looks forward, into the rain*

Ronland: *drags on cigarette* ... how's the program?-

Johnlin: That'll kill you, y'know

Ronland: ... it's the least I deserve

Johnlin: ... when are you going to-

Ronland: Let go? Phridding heck Johnlin, you think I'm that easy?

Johnlin: ... actually, I was going to say move on.

Johnlin: You know, at this moment in your life, you're a disgrace to the emblem

Ronland: What did you-

Johnlin: *Lurches out of chair* I said you're a disgrace! Look at you, sat on-

Ronland: *Slams chair back* Shut up!

Johnlin: No! I'm not done Ronland! *pointing at house* when has hiding helped you? Not now, not last year, not before! What would've they said?-

Ronland: They're dead! Because of me!

Johnlin: No! That's where you're wrong! You stay here, still hung up on the small details-

Ronland: You think death is a small detail?!-

Johnlin: Don't ignore my damn point!

Johnlin: Whether you we're in that room or not, a thousand years of training or not, they'd still have died. Don't let your selfless arrogance get the better of you! This isn't a time for the Old Days, Johnlin Space Program-no! There was nothing you could of done.

Johnlin: *Sighs*

Ronland: *sits down* ... have you come to shame me about the emblem then? To haunt me to my deathbed?

Johnlin: *still standing* ... no-

Ronland: No? It's pretty phridding hard to believe right now.. you come to my place, and talk rubbish about my failure, and you're telling me it's not shaming?!

Johnlin: No, it isn't. It's time for you to move on.

Ronland: You gonna make me...

Johnlin: No... you will

Johnlin: There's a part of you, still out there, on the Mun- that's what's left you like this, immobilized, in a rot-house, waiting... waiting for annihilation. It won't come. It never will. Look at everyone else- the families; of course, some were prepared, military and all, but the point still stands Ronland - they've moved on.

Johnlin: So you tell me... are you gonna drag fags until your dying days, cowering from curiosity... or are you made of more...

Ronland: *looks up, towards Johnlin *

Johnlin: Only you can answer that question, but no one has asked you it yet, until now... honour them, Ronland... do it for them. Good night

* Johnlin turns on heels, grabs coat and flips up hood, then walks into the rain*

Ronland: *takes a long drag on cigerette, watching as Johnlin enters two door, brown sedan and drives off into the rain*

Ronland: ... what's so different now then Skipper?

2 years before

*Late, Control Room Cape, KSC*

NGBIFLV.png

Comms: ...and we have connection, Base to Julius to Cape, you get that Ron?

Ronland: Copy Comms

Johnlin: I'm patched through too Comms

Comms: ...reading an affirm on that Johnlin, Doc's tapped in too

Ronland: Base, Cape here, Ronland speaking, who's up?

Doodby: This is Doodby here, manning the fort-

Ronland: Where's Nedfurt?

Doodby: Oh, don't worry, he's'a snoozin', deserves it, I can already see his dreams now- nothin' but steering wheel... heh

Johnlin: Anything we can do for you?

Doodby: Actually, yea, down here, we seem to've lost timings on that Resupply pod, can you patch it through to us?

Ronland: Hold on a second, how'd you lose it?

Doodby: ...eh, we think it was a power lapse, some wire misconnections in the system, since it was only a few seconds- at least we know the emergency batteries still work

Johnlin: Solid copy Doodby, ETA on Sup 1 is 50 minutes

Doodby: ... roger that Cape

Ronland: What's up Doodby

Doodby: Eh, well, I'm gonna miss the first Kerb-made thing, since ourselves, arrive on the surface- it'll be like Christmas, AND I didn't get a sneak peak.

Johnlin: Can't win 'em all D-

Ronland: Johnlin's right Doodby, Doc says you need rest- just cause you weren't driving doesn't mean your energy wasn't deprived, y'know?

Doc: I'd have to agree with Ronland Doodby.

Doodby: ... I know guys, you're right... I'll get some sleep, try not to crash that Pod on me will you?

Ronland: Top priority Doodby, top priority

Doodby: Anyway, you got no excuse, been doing this long enough- so long Cape

Johnlin: Stay safe D, out

Doc: With great confidence...

Ronland: Did you have something to say Doc? Nearly forgot about you there...

Doc: ...no, friend, Doodby sounds to be in, well, sound condition. I'm leaving this shift with your permission Ronland, my health report is on the desk for-

Johnlin: Don't worry Doc, I'll let him know- go get some sleep now, you gotta look after yourself... and treat your lady

Doc: *smiles* Of course. Good night friends.

*Doc leaves the control room*

Ronland: Is it down yet Control?

Johnlin: We could've knocked the aerial during the landing, I mean-

Control: Guys, I've got... no idea- data like this happens if you drop the damn Tel.Com out a window

Comms: We could try and raise Base- they'll know if it's landed, it'll be on their front door

Ronland: You're right, but that could ruin their next day over some Aerial damage- is there nothing Control?

Control: Zilch, Zero, nothing

Ronland: ...frack. Phone up Julius, Comms

Comms: On it now

Johnlin: Maybe this was a step to far...

Ronland: What are you talkin' bout John

Johnlin: I mean, we're testing so much new technology on this flight, who knows what could've broken.

Ronland: Who knows IF anything has broken, we can't make assumptions...

Johnlin: So according to that Tel. Com, we're on a parabolic orbit, the wrong way round the Mun?

Comms: Julius is on the line now...

Ronland: I'll take it, thanks

Comms: ... err, roger that... sir.

Nelrim: ...

Ronland: Julius, this is Cape, are you receiving?

Nelrim: ...I can't tell him... I... oh Jool

Ronland: Nelrim, are you receiving me?!

Fredlas: There's no easy way of putting it, but... we saw it from here- it blew up Ron, it just blew up.

Ronland: ... what are you sa-

Fredlas: I SAID IT PHRIDDING BLEW UP RON, THEY'RE GONE. *line goes silent*

Johnlin: Everything OK Ron...?

Ronland: Comms, switch it off

Comms: Say again sir?!

Ronland: Switch your damn link off, now.

Comms: ...

Ronland: *moves paper off his right desk, hesitates, stands* That wasn't a Aerial malfunction... Doc on deck, report MunBase crew as KIA, all of them. *sigh* Someone get me a cigarette and a typewriter, ASAP *looks up*-

*stunned silence*

Ronland: ...Mission Failure... damn, the whole program maybe.

3 years later

16_imagereader-11.aspx_WHG-730x547.jpg

*Quiet Jukebox Bar, 4 Kerbals are at a table against the window, looking at the highway they drove on*

Fredlas: The tradition, then...

Doc: ... yes, of course

Johnlin: Aye

*Beers clatter*

*"For the Crew"*

Doc: *looks out window, then turns to Johnlin* Any progress with the patient John?

Johnlin: Well, eh, I tried- again

Doc: His resilience to move on is remarkable

Fredlas: Always has been....

Nelrim: ... hope he won't always be

Fredlas: It's what made him who he was-

Johnlin: Is... we need him back, for his sake as much as ours

Fredlas: Mmmm *turns to Johnlin* Say, how's your bike Johnlin

Johnlin: Broken.... haven't had time for it

Nelrim: Shame, it's a beauty

Johnlin: You can say that again- oh I know Nelrim, trust me

Fredlas: Anyone any good news for this meet?

Nelrim: As a matter of fact...

Johnlin: The talk with the Commissionary? You got results, are you serious?!

*Nelrim smiles, Johnlin looks in shock, Doc smiles too*

Nelrim: It got us a big wad of results... enough for a re-boot

Fredlas: Well I never... y'know what this means

Johnlin: Our nation's going back! We're finding ourselves again!

Fredlas: ...it also means more Roco-pop!

Johnlin: ...so it does... Sandy!

Sandy: Yea?

Johnlin: More Roco-pop! Fast!

Sandy: Better not drink into a stupor or your cleanin'...

Doc: Steady the stead Johnlin, there's Kilometres of paperwork to be done- certainly can't be done drunk....

Johnlin: It can wait...

*Sandy enters with a tray of Roco-pop, places it on the table*

Johnlin: Thanks Sandy, love this stuff sometimes...

Sandy: All the time...

*Sandy leaves*

Johnlin: I'd marry her if Space didn't have my heart

Nelrim: It's got your money too, your committed now

*Table laughs*

*Sandy re-enters*

Sandy: Have you boys made a mess?!

Johnlin: No ma'am, not yet- can we have the bill please?

Sandy: You never've been so happy in this Diner- is it my hair?

Fredlas: Sandy, you look great, believe me

*Sandy blushes*

Johnlin: Can't wait to tell Ron

Doc: Not coming with us to the Launch?

Johnlin: Of another Com sat? I'll tell you something, that launch is the last of an era, and I'm gonna see the end by resurrecting an old Eagle, just you watch me. *stands* Catch you on the phone guys.

Fredlas: Good luck-

Doc: Agreed-

Nelrim: Let's go see us a launch!

* The excited band stand, Roco-pops in hand, heading for the door and passing Johnlin on the way out. Johnlin stops, turns to the bar where Sandy is cleaning the surface*

Johnlin: Sandy, um *Sandy stops working* after I see my friend, you want to come round for dinner?

Sandy: Aww, you...

Johnlin: Well, someone's gotta look after ya, don't they now?

*Sandy beams*

Johnlin: Catch you later- bye for real

*Johnlin lays change onto the table on the bill*

Johnlin: Damn, they took my Roco...

*Johnlin leaves the room, rambling to himself*

Edited by Rhyunix

Chapter 2- Dusting off

*Same day*

*Johnlin's Brown Sedan drives down the dirt road to Ronland's house, the sun is just setting*

Radio: ...and lift-off of the HiRAS-4, connecting the nation and the world...

*A sunrise-intensity light can be seen towards KSC, left of Johnlin, as he reaches Ronland's house*

Radio: ...quite a speed it's picking up according to miss-

*Johnlin turns off radio, stops the car and gently walks over Ronland's porch*

Johnlin: ...watching the launch?

Ronland: *on porch with mil-spec binoculars* I'm looking for chicks...

Johnlin: *Smirks* Well, HiRAS is a beauty after all- *taking steps up porch now* don't you think?

Ronland: *tracking rocket*... it's too thin, like a needle- we never made them this precise before

Johnlin: -thin, we never made them that thin before; speed was not the interest before, nor was appearance

Ronland: Beauty in the detail...

Johnlin: Quite....

Ronland: *lowers binos* So what's got you straightened? Sandy coming round your house?

Johnlin: ...nearly forgot about that, Minmus Mighty...

Ronland: OK, so sparing your social ineptitude-

Johnlin: Steady-

Ronland: What has happened? Spill the dri- no don't spill my drink, I want it...

Johnlin: *deep breath in* Doc, Nellie, Fredlas and I have been informed that we have successfully obtained funding from the Commissionary for a new scientific mission to the Mun, to attempt to settle there and conduct scientific research about the possibility of Colonization

Johnlin: Well?

Ronland: ... that's swell...

Johnlin: That's it?! You know how hard we've worked at it and all our efforts are rewarded with "that's swell"!?

Ronland: It's swell because now there's only me holding back myself going back

Johnlin: You need to come back, you're not yourself without-

Ronland: Without my addiction? Well look what happened when I was getting my fix, kerbals died, because. of. ME

Johnlin: Then honour them! Don't hide back here with bino's and watch their efforts go to waste, do something!

Ronland: Like what?! Become PR!? Because that would go SWELL- I can see the headline's now; "Murderer chief runs the show"

Johnlin: That wouldn't-

Ronland: Don't dare even say it, 'cause you're lying to yourself if you do

Johnlin: ...

Ronland: ... thank you.*sighs* I congratulate you- you and YOUR team- on your success, and wish the Moons of Jool's alignment for you, but my ticket stops here

Johnlin: ... you could do something quiet

Ronland: ... the Comissionary have standards, they aren't going to let me in

Johnlin: -only if the public see your face often... come on, something like a Backup Crew Manager, they won't mind-

Ronland: Yea, as much as the Lowlands didn't mind "diplomatic intervention"...

Ronland: I already have newspaper clippings about what the whole world feels about me, but I don't want any more

Johnlin: There wouldn't be any if you had a quiet job

Ronland: You want me to sweep the floors as a covert agent or something? If anyone in the media looks for names from the previous project, they're going to see me and you know what will happen from there

Ronland: That's agreeing and you know it

Johnlin: ... damn... give me a minute

Ronland: You've got longer than that, 'cause it better be good if I'm to go ahead with any of it

Johnlin: I can bring you in as an advisor, maybe-

Ronland: Are you crazy?! Do you want to bury your funding where Kerbol doesn't shine! If I get seen...

Johnlin: You won't! I'll put you with backup! ... there, trump that

Ronland: It's a big risk, especially if anything goes wrong- the Air Force would go mental if they realized a failure was in their ranks, have me replaced faster than-

Johnlin: ...you didn't fail... don't say that, it's wrong

Ronland: ... the Air Force would still replace me, for Kerbal casualties on my watch

Johnlin: Perhaps, but only the new rankers- the vets know you, they respect you and always will; I've spoken to them... come on, let's do it, like old times

Ronland: *sighs* What the Frack, try your-

Johnlin: *turning for the car quickly* That's the spirit! Sure I will!

Ronland: *Johnlin closes door and start's car* ...best, but don't stretch- whatever

*Ronland waves Johnlin away as he is honking the car horn, then heads inside- above, a twinkling flicker of orange ascends into the evening glow*

*Kerbal Space Program Munar operations press room, several suited Kerbals are seated around a crescent table facing a reporter audience, with the occasional flash photographs *

Nelrim: Thank you all for coming- it is my great honour to introduce you to my team; Fredlas Kerman

Fredlas: * stands * Thank you Nelrim, hello everyone, I'm the head of crew management for this project, selecting the finest Kerbonaut recruits from our pool; any Kerbal interactions will be under my belt * sitting down*

Nelrim: Thank you Fredlas; Fredlas will also have an assisting team with him, including doctors from the SESEOR program

A Reporter: * raised voice* Will a list be available to us of which of the ex-SESEOR team are part of Fredlas’ selection

Nelrim: Fredlas?

Fredlas: Why yes, the list of staff will be available, however some of the staff will not be on that list, due to the advisory roles they may take, instead of permanent employment

*several reporters call for Fredlas’ attention *

*Fredlas fumbles with his shirt *

A Reporter: Is it true that the Air Force will have one full crew on the rota?

Fredlas: It is possible, but unlikely due to the nature of their training and the mission requirements

A reporter: How much influence will the Air Force have in the mission?

*From the far left of the table, a young, stern looking Aviation Force Captain stands and the reporters quoted down *

Captain: I think these thoughts need to be put to rest here… the Mun is the equivalent of international waters, thus cannot be claimed, militarised or fought over- the Aviation Force is lending a hand to this cause, not tampering with it- this will clarify our role here *turning to Fredlas, he nods, then sits *

A reporter: What is the mission objective, precisely?

Nelrim: Based on the mining we have done previous, we believe, as you know, that there is water on the Mun- we’re going to find it. When we find it, we're going to use it to grow plants, recycle our air, possibly power our vehicles… this is going to be our test, to see if it can be done- the experimental colonisation of the Mun

A reporter: Surely the kerbonauts are Test subjects?

Nelrim: Yes, they will be, but without testing on Kerbals, no progress could possibly be made with anything, in space or on this planet

*the reporter nods in agreement and understanding *

Fredlas: Please remember that all of the team have volunteered or had a choice to take part in this Project

Nelrim: Yes, all of the team are willingly taking part, right down to the… well the cleaner

*quiet laughter *

Fredlas: That's a wrap folks

Nelrim: -we understand you have many questions, we will be able to answer them once we have smooth operations *raising his voice above the symphony of reporters and flash photography * thank you for your presence, good day *walks out *

Edited by Rhyunix

Chapter 3- Preparations

*In a desk lamp lit room, Fredlas sits at a monitor, reading reports*

*The Captain from the interview enters the room wearing off duty Officer Uniform. Fredlas turns  in his seat, face plain*

Captain: Alright then Fredlas, what've you got lined up for them

Fredlas: *turning back* Well, I've had to file out any potentials without the physical standards, the Doc did some basic checks. From there, we tested their reactions under acceleration, motion sickness-

Captain: OK, there've been lots of background tests, but let's go to the top of this pyramid please?

Fredlas: ... of course. At the top of this fine selection, a few of your background have made it, combined with some test pilots, biochemists- I've got a list here of Aviation Forcepotentials

Captain: Care to explain why they're still potentials after your rigorous testing?

Fredlas: You tell me- what's the most important thing in success with multiple kerbals?

Captain: Co-ordination

Fredlas: Precisely- which is their last test. The simulation they will participate in will test their co-ordination, a puzzle subjecting them to immense distraction, as well as their thought process, which can be observed- are they self centred? Perhaps they have a favourite from the potentials? Who is the potential leader, and so on.

Captain: Your thoroughness is comforting

Fredlas: It's also tiring-  the test will occur tomorrow, after individual testing- you want to keep that copy of the potentials?

Captain: Yes

Fredlas: Alright, I've got a copy on this computer, as well as back ups

Captain: Thank you- good luck with your testing tomorrow

Fredlas: You're not going to be there?

Captain: My superiors would much like a face-to-face update on progress

Fredlas: Anything that needs to be improved? I've-

Captain: Fredlas, there is nothing negative to report, just update... your efforts will be made known, as with other notable personnel

Fredlas: ... great

Captain: I look forward to the testing results *turns and leaves via the door he came through*

*1 Week later*

*In a meeting room overlooking the Mountains behind KerbalCape, the Captain, Fredlas, Johnlin and several other staff are seated behind a crescent table with Nelrim in the centre. Nelrim calls the staff to quiet*

Nelrim: We've made great progress since our last meeting, and I'm glad to report we now have a list of our primary candidates for the first missions to the Mun

*Small applause*

Nelrim: Now then *waits for applause to die off* now, this list will be published, so I need PR to have these details written down- for the rest of you, I'm going to read the personalities of these candidates to you. Our Kerbal Health team say and quote "this is a fine group of candidates, who interact well with one another and their environment"

Fredlas: I must also add my agreement to the statement- I watched the test via the observatory and was pleased with the teamwork that was built in that simulation- they will be a great group

Nelrim: Thank you  Fredlas- onto the statements, they are quite brief and short:

"Docan Kerman: Calculated, calm, motivated based on the needs of the many- a true team player. Thorough, but will prioritize well." A good start

"Edrim Kerman: A quiet kerbal, even in stress, heavily thinking. Bound by the task at hand, with all un-necessary sacrifices skipped to continue with the goal. Often consulted, rarely consulting" A smart individual is always welcome, especially one with a clear-cut motivation- Captain, isn't he an Aviation Force Pilot?

Captain: No, he's a Civil Aviation Instructor- I'm Captain Mokle Kerman- given that I was temporarily assigned to this program I expected that my name would not need to be known, but I am permanently assigned now *nods to Nelrim* please continue

Nelrim: Thank you Captain... "Endun Kerman: Works for what he wants to keep, is not concerned about great improvement- appears to have capped his capacity for knowledge, preferring to let someone else remember it and him to exercise it. Extremely capable when using skills he knows, such as navigation and trajectory physics"

"Ania Kerman: Responsible, self-contained, learning master- a personal favourite of most of the observers, respecting every option, opinion and possibility. She excelled in company with Edrim (the only one Edrim seemed to consult with) as they both rebounded ideas and criticisms of those ideas. Ania is any team's asset, ready to adapt roles and instructions, as well as provide team support in times of great stress." That ends the list so far

*quiet conversations amongst the meeting room*

Johnlin: She seems quite the character

Nelrim: Yes, she will be an inspiration in the program... PR, make sure focus is on Ania, but don't put her in interviews, just get some pictures and make sure they print

*the PR Chief nods vigorously*

Nelrim: And last on the immediate recommended list is this one; "Danley Kerman: Loyal to whoever is in charge, willing to learn, adapts well to the work environment- Imagination is not limited, but considers the sensible and logical when making decisions- slight friction noted between him and other members of team when in dire situations, but friction was on decline during testing" A prime example of good learning. Anyone have anything to add?

*Mainly shaking heads*

Nelrim: OK, onto section reports- Engineering

Eng. Chief: Making good progress on the retrofitting of our new designs to the old launchers, we should have test-bed launches available by next week, Munbase parts landing by the end of this Month at this rate, Kerbals on the surface next Month.

Nelrim: Good work Engineering- PR, make sure we get some pictures of the new stuff out to the public, keep their interest high. Johnlin, do we have sites for landing yet?

Johnlin: We're working on it, the old Satellites don't really want to play the game, so we're having to retrofit our new tech with the old, it's taking time but we'll still be on schedule.

Nelrim: Keep an eye on those events Johnlin... anyone anything else to add? No? No. I conclude this meeting then.

* general noise increase as people rise from their seats and exit the room*

Edited by Rhyunix

OOC- SESEOR was I fun project and I'm really glad it inspired you, I take that as a high compliment. This project's due to the enjoyment I got from giving characters... character. This one takes inspiration from the greatest piece of writing I've ever seen on this forum, by Czo, the great writer- more is coming :)

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 4- Selection

*Crew Training Centre, Recreation Room- all the Candidates are present, either sat or standing around a coffee table with two sofas*

Endun: *laughing* Trinity?

Ania: I like it

Docan: It's just a name, why break a sweat over it-

Edrim: Top hats would've thought hard about it, avoid any nasty meanings-

Endun: *frowning* Top hats?

Danley: Command-The Board, Endun...

Endun: I get it, I get it...

Docan: What nasty meanings? From mythical times or something loony?

Edrim: Precisely- any possible implications of destruction, death, failure and so on would have the sceptics on a field day with no end

Ania: Why do they care so much?! They don't even pay for rockets, the training-

Edrim: They're conservative, don't forget-

Ania: They're blind is what they are-

Endun: Let's not focus on the negatives, at least we're more official

Ania: ...

Danley: There will always be sceptics...

Edrim: ...Indeed- I find it rather fitting, with the cooperation of multiple nations and elements- the only other name I would imagine would be Jigsaw

*Captain Mokle, Johnlin and Fredlas enter the room- Endun and Docan stand to attention*

Mokle: *Strolling in* Carry on

*Endun sits, Docan goes to the fridge in the room, the remainder are fixed on Fredlas*

Fredlas: I have an announcement I'm sure you will all want to hear

*Docan sticks his head out of the fridge*

Fredlas: I have selected the three Kerbets for the primary flyby of the Mun- the mission will test vital equipment, the functioning of our SatNet and, well, you...

You being... Docan, Endun and Danley-

*Docan beams, Endun nods at the table, Danley looks between the two*

backup team of Ania and Edrim- if the primary crew all fall by the wayside, the mission's scraped, period, until they are able to fly.

Edrim: Good name for the project- your idea Fredlas?

Fredlas: Actually it was Ron...

Edrim: Ron... have I met him?

Fredlas: ...Errr, unlikely, but he's part of the Board Advisory Team

Edrim: Do send my appreciation his way please

Fredlas: ... of course! Of course...

Cap. Mokle: ...well Kerbonauts, I look forward to your first flight and this nation's return- I'm sure you'll do the Board an honour. Congratulations primary crew, I wish you safe travels.

Docan: You're not going to be watching us, sir?

Cap. Mokle: Ah, duty, duty, duty Docan... it has me in it's grasp

*Docan looks disheartened, Danley too*

Cap. Mokle: Perhaps, however, I will be able to contact you in space- wouldn't that be something... *smiling* farewell *with a nod, leaves the room*

Ania: *turning to Docan* I think he likes you...

Docan: *confused, then realizes* ppsshh! Right...

Danley: *picking up too* Yea, dream on! We're just the crew, and he's a Captain!

*Fredlas clears his throat, grabs attention of everyone*

Fredlas: Remember to keep your training up, don't strain yourself and stay well away from anyone with an illness- I'll see you all again soon *leaves*

*General farewell comments*

*Docan comes out of the fridge*

Docan: Better keep off the snacks then... damn- I may as well hit the fart-sack and all...

Ania: You don't have to stop living Docan y'know....

*Danley gets up*

Danley: It would be advisable- I'm doing it *leaves*

Ania: What, you going to stop breathing too? *Danley turns corner, no reply* I guess a mission turns you full robot- I'm starting to not like the thought of selection

Docan: Really now?-

Ania: Who am I kidding!

*Quiet laughter*

Ania: Hey, why aren't we celebrating! Come-on, you're going to space!

*Grumbles from Docan*

Ania: Really, you were fine before- there's time for conference-face later, get yourself a Rocopop from my room-

Edrim: Now I really wouldn't advise that...

*Ania jokingly glares at Edrim*

Edrim: *sigh* I see nothing...

Ania: *quietly* That's the spirit

Docan: Alright then...

*Ania pulls out two Rocopops from out of the fridge and gives them to Endun and holds onto on, raises her leg onto the table*

Ania: Tonight, we celebrate as flyers- tomorrow, Kerbonauts!

*cheers*

Edited by Rhyunix

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Chapter 5- X0 is go

an8JfRx.png

Docan: *breathes out slowly* OK, we all set in here?

Endun: Roger that

Danley: Affirmative

Docan: Let's light this candle... Cape- X0 here, ready to go from our side, over

Cape-comm: Copy that Docan, we'll do pre-flight and start, out.

Docan: ... pre-flight nerves guys?

Danley: No way

Endun: Nerves won't help you, ya know? Embrace the excitement-

Docan: Oh I don't have any nerves me, just stirring discussion...

Endun: ...well, we can ask where the Captain is

Docan: Yeaa... that dastard, where' d he get to-

Danley: Oh yea- he said he may be watching!

Docan: Dastard had "other things to do"- they're all the same brass to me

Cape-comm: Pre flights underway now, don't worry about any fluid flow, we're stirring the oxygen with a isolated pump

Docan: ...err, sure Cape, out.

*Over at South Cape Control, Nelrim, Johnlin, a PR manager and Launch Control Team are standing and seated in an open planned, but filled Control Room*

Nelrim: Take it away John

Johnlin: ...OK team, I want go, no-go for stations- Guidance

*Guidance is go*

Johnlin: Orbital

*We're go*

Johnlin: Sub-Orbital

*green*

Johnlin: Control

*We're- wait a sec*

Johnlin: ...we've got time... we've got some time

*We have a overlap error, reverse docking adjustment phase*

Johnlin: No-no-NO! *runs hands through hair, clearly frustrated*

Nelrim: ...hold on- that's the reversal of the capsule, right?

*Yes*

Nelrim: And that can be done manually, can't it- it'll just consume some more Mono

*That's... correct, but-*

Nelrim: Danley's trained in it, for sure- can you erase that section?

*We can*

*Johnlin looks at Nelrim*

Nelrim: Do it

Johnlin: Now hold on a minute-

Nelrim: One line of code is not going to stop us now, we're going

Johnlin: That's my call, Nelrim

Nelrim: ...

Johnlin: Danley, you there

Danley: Reading you Cape

Johnlin: We've had a technical bug-

Danley: Mission Abort?

Johnlin: No Danley, but I need to know if you can manually dock the pod to the ferry stage-

Nelrim: It'll be abort if you can't

Johnlin: *hand over mike-phone, hisses* This is my decision Nelrim, keep your bias view out of this, and you do it right now

*Nelrim glares at Johnlin, Johnlin returns*

Danley: *Muffled*

Johnlin: Repeat please Danley?

Danley: ...I can do it chief, let's go

Danley: Cape?

Johnlin: OK Danley, thank you, out. *sigh*

*back in the capsule*

Docan: What is taking so LONG-

Endun: Relax, there's nothing we can do

Docan: *sigh*

Danley: I want to get on with it now, been-

*deep rumble*

Docan: What-the-p...

Danley: *defeated sigh* rolling the walkway back proba-

Cape-comm: You there Docan?

Docan: Present

Cape-comm: We are go X0, T minus 1 minute and counting, over

Danley: OK Cape. We're doing it, Docan

Endun: Sure did take their time

Danley: Damn right, must've had a good reason

Endun: For sure!-

Cape-comm: T minus 30, strap in tight.... T minus 10, 9, 8, 7-

Docan: Take-off's for the Av Force fellas!

Cape-comm: Ignition

hiwPLan.png

Danley: Here we go... 2 gees- phew, this is- something

Endun: Goin' real...fast

Docan: Uhh!

Danley: 3...gees! Boosters are near- ugh- empty! Standby...

TPi8w6z.png

b4ORSJB.png

XZUvka0.png

Danley: They're clear, Cape

Cape-comm: Affirmative X0

Danley: 4... gees!

Endun: ...And hold- *gasps*

Docan: How...long...

IhZ6XAe.png

y1ypD8e.png

Danley: *gasps* Capsule Rescue... clear Cape... *holding breath*... *hyperventilates* Cape we've...  finished... sub-orbital

Docan: *moans* slept... like a baby

Endun: hah... haha! You we're out weren't you! *laughs*

Docan: Cape, you can calm the doc down, I'm still here, over.

Danley: Docan you're rookie...*breaths* embarassment! Didn't you follow training? The breathing? I mean-

Endun: *panting* he didn't do ANY breathing *laughing hard*

Docan: Damn, that aches...

Danley: Well it's gentle from here on in

kMbMqGS.png

Docan: What's going now?

Danley: Circularization

Docan: ...Right on

Endun: How long

Docan: ...If I remember right, 1 minute

Danley: That's right chief... finishing up now...  Cape, this is X0, we're registering an orbit up here, how copy

*Solid copy X0, we're getting a good 90 and 100 K*

Danley: OK Cape, we're green for the turnaround

*OK X0, standby*

*back at South Cape*

Johnlin: OK team, update- Orbital how are we looking?

*Orbit's holding steady*

m5QryO2.png

Johnlin: Guidance?

*We're seeing green here*

Johnlin: Thrusters?

*Solid green*

Johnlin: ... alright, let's do this turnaround *thumbs up Comms*

*X0 you are go for turnaround, how copy?*

Docan: Receiving clear Cape, waiting on control unlock, out

nMfhS4B.jpg

Danley: ...I've got it, I am in, Docan...

Docan: Cape we've got control and are going for it, over

Danley: Right, I'm separating from the ferry stage... now

WUqFZEN.jpg

Danley: 3, 2, 1... rotate

Endun: Over we go...

Danley: ...and facing the port

NE76KrA.png

Docan: We're facing the port Cape

Endun: We're also breathing, blinking and moving- want to tell them anything else Docan?

Docan: ... it's better that they know

Endun: They've got a camera-

Danley: Guys, please, I need to focus.

Docan: ...

tkxAtWi.jpg

Danley: We're coming in slow... ah, trimming... standby...engaging lock

wEZqoFQ.jpg

*sighs*

Docan: Cape we have solid lock, how's the bus looking?

Cape-comm: All systems nominal X0, good job

Docan: Roger cape-Danley, cape says good job

Danley: Gee, that's nice of them

Endun: Look at it out there- magnificant

Danley: We've got time to look, plenty of time

Cape-comm: Alright X0, you can take a break now, we're seeing all green here- get the log and check-board started, out.

Edited by Rhyunix

• 3 months later...

Chapter 6- Transfer

Docan: Anyone seen my camera?

Endun: The science one or the recreational one?

Docan: Latter

Endun: Have you checked on the desk?

Docan: Ha-ha. Seriously

Endun: I dunno dude, I just work here

Docan: Fine

Danley: I haven't seen it chief, before you ask

Docan: ...oh, never mind

Danley: Huh?

Docan: I've got it with the science-cam

Endun: You idiot, left it in the kit , like I said

Docan: Hey, you didn't... never mind

Danley: Better get snappin' boss, we're going places in a few minutes and so's the scenery

Docan: OK *glides up to front window with camera* take one...

Danley: Say, that's a insta-print isn't it Docan?

Docan: Sure is-

Danley: Who are you going to give the photos to? I mean, Trinity will use the science-cam footage, you saving it for family?
Docan: *looking through camera scope* For the boys, Danley, my mates

Danley: Ah right... I was thinking about that

Docan: What about it?

Danley: Well, since you can only have one insta-print, wouldn't it be best to take several of the same, so-

Docan: *turning to Danley* There's more to share?

Danley: ... precisely.

Docan: *turns back to camera* ...should've brought more prints

Danley: Well, there are weight limitations-

Docan: How many do y'think I was gonna take? Besides, I had sell my arm to get this on here

Danley: Ah, well, I wouldn't worry about getting lots of copies then- snap time's over for now, we've got to get going

Docan: *putting camera away* Shucks...I'm buckling in now

Endun: I'm strapped in, Danley

Danley: 20 seconds to TMI

KWfBSpK.jpg

Danley: We're going

Endun: So long Kerbin- catch ya later....

l2ly4hc.png

Docan: There's the prize- target Mun

Danley: 10 seconds till shutdown

Endun: Look at the colours...

Danley: ...shutdown, engine's off

Docan: Well, it's been running suger cube, good job guys- lets catch some rest for a few hours

Endun: Not going to take pictures?

Docan: No, I'll spread them out over the mission

Endun: Take in the rays Danley

Danley: ...

Endun: *shaking Danley* I said, take in the rays kid!

Danley: Huh, oh, hello too...

Endun: The next move is in 10 minutes, on schedule

Danley: Yea, got it, I'll prep

Endun: We wouldn't want to have all the fun without you

Danley: Oh, thanks- not like you needed me

Endun: Well, there's that *smiling*

Danley: Wow, I'm hungry- dreaming of toasted bagels...

Endun: I can feel your dribble from here, not cool

Danley: Sorry, sorry- speaking of food, do I get any?

Endun: We ate all the breakfast for today

Danley: Uh huh

Endun: *reaches to a container and opens it* Incoming energy, not the radiation kind

Danley: *catches dry food* Thanks *moves off to back of capsule*

Docan: Endun, how close have we been to predictions on timing?

Endun: Our launch section has let us down regarding resource consumption but we're making a really efficient transfer so it's balanced out well

Docan: That's good to hear *opening a drink*

B6MVye0.png

Danley: *In the frame between cockpit and fuselage* Right then, the engine is prepped, manual control is ready- strap down everything guys, no spills please

*Docan and Endun check around, strapping things down- Danley sits and straps in*

Danley: Err Docan, you need to put that drink away

Docan: Huh? Oh yea *closes drink* no spills

Danley: Right-Cape comm, you there

Cape-comm: Receiving you X0, how have you been up there- all seems smooth from what we're seeing

Danley: Make that two Cape, we've had no issues so far and *looking around* we're in good shape

Cape-comm: Glad to hear that X0, you're green for the orbit injection, out

Danley: OK, this one's easy *rubbing eyes* here we go- 3, 2, 1, ignition

x6jbd37.png

Danley: Approaching orbital speed... shutdown... engine off

13dkZDr.png

Docan: Nice work Danley

Danley: Thank you. I'll turn off the engine now * floats to back of capsule*

Docan: *pulling out drink again* Did you not sleep well Danley?

Danley: ...still not used to the early mornings... *moving around the capsule*

Docan: Sound like a mama's boy, you know that?

Danley: Well, I'm not like you two if that's what you mean...

Endun: What, with the gunfire wake-ups?

Danley: Sure

Endun: Part of me misses them, part of me remembers not to...

Docan: When we woke up, we did the shooting

Danley: *looking back at the two* You went on missions this early?

Docan: Early could be the night before

Danley: What was your earliest

Docan: That's classified buddy

Danley: Oh, Black-ops

Docan: More, much more

Endun: And the less you know the better, for everyone Danley

Danley: Alright alright, I get it, very hush-hush

Endun: And as the posters say, "keep it shut, big mouth!"

Docan: Oh yea, those posters *chuckles*, ah they we're so annoying

Danley: Hate to interrupt the memory lane trip, but we've got to perform the space-shuffle that makes this ferry service interesting- Endun please check that the Bus is in Mode 2- it's at the back, Blue panel, under G-B-C

Endun: On it *moves off*

Docan: Anything I can do?

Danley: Oh you don't need to do anything, that's just one last check that I've already done, but a second look does no harm

Endun: *returning* Mode 2 engaged

Danley: Then let's begin this tango-Cape Comm, this is X0, you there

Cape-comm: We're reading you X0

Danley: We are ready for the orbital manoeuvres on this side, do you have connection with the Bus?

Cape-comm: We've just got the signal, Mode 2 engaged and receiving, you have green light for the orbit change

Danley: Roger that Cape, I'm detaching on 3- 1, 2, 3

Docan: *looking out the window* Visual confirm, disconnect has occurred

Danley: Roger that, beginning manual manoeuvres

okDptlc.png

Danley: How are we looking up front Docan?

Docan: We've got 2 metres space between us and the Bus

Danley: Then let's shift

l8QNe7a.png

Docan: Are we moving?

Danley: Yea, pretty quick

Docan: Damn, can't feel anything

Danley: Yea, they're pretty gentle engines- you'll get to see them soon enough- as a matter of fact, they're off now

Docan: Are you sure they were on?

Danley: Ugh, yea? We won't be pulling major G's here, unless we change direction or something crazy

Endun: Suits me fine

Docan: I'm bringing the solar panels out now... solar panels deployed... cells charging, support systems nominal... no faults from the burn as far as I can see. *sits back in chair* So now we wait- about 3/4 of an hour isn't it?
Endun: About that, yep

Docan: *fumbling with camera* you should get some rest Danley, not much for you to do right now

Danley: Yea, you're right... *turns to a compartment and pulls out a CD player*

Endun: How did you get that on here?!

Docan: I'd say he sold an arm

Danley: Actually, I asked nicely- it's less bulky than you think you know, I think that's why it was so easy to get on board

Endun: Neat

Danley: That, combined with bringing nothing else personal

Endun: Oh

Docan: Say, what did you bring Endun?

Endun: Oh nothing much, souvenirs- dollars, pack of cards

Danley: For you to keep or give away?

Endun: ...dunno yet...dunno

Danley: *plugging in CD player to headphones* Well, on the recommendation, I'm going to rest- wake me if the Mun moves

Docan: Deal

mZcip0q.png

Edited by Rhyunix

Chapter 7- Troubled horizon

MMyvmNg.jpg
*crew sat in seats*
Endun: So Docan, I know we’re testing equipment and ourselves, but what research is there to do? We’ve been training on the ground since the beginning-
Docan: The main thing is this * knocks display * all of this ship is a test rig, and we’re-
Endun: The test rats
Docan: …now that sounds harsh, we agreed to do this.
Endun: True, true… so all of the ship is being tested
Docan: No, not exactly, the principle is what's being tested: going up on an old, but proven, firework, the precision of docking manoeuvres, multi stage orbital ballet, procedures for docking and locking, etc. There’s a bigger picture being drawn here, hence why I only motion to what we can see here
Endun: So we are test rats
Docan: We’re a practice run, so when the full thing comes they’ll hit the ground on their feet
Endun: I wish we were doing the full thing, first time, like the old guys did
Docan: If you knew this arrangement of spare parts and bolts like I do, you wouldn’t want to- besides, the old guys took big risks because they were explorers, not settlers
Endun: You don't see us as explorers, re-igniting the natural behaviour of expansion into space?
Docan: I see us as settlers, building the platform for research labs that will one day produce domestic benefits
Endun: And at the end of it, colonise new worlds?
Docan: Whilst it isn't mission priority, it's almost an inevitability, to continue our inquisitive expansion by making a foundation away from home
Endun: And the research we do, isn’t that exploring?
Docan: We’re not doing the bulk of the research, just cause we're flying on a  prototype plan; we’re running the test flights, don’t you see?
Endun: I guess so
Docan: It says it in your sign-up detail- good at trajectory physics, for getting us here. And regarding the prototype flight, it’s all to make the journey more efficient, safer, for when the frail, overloaded and eager scientists come. The trail, left by the explorers, albeit cold and almost forgotten, is exactly what we're following right now
*Danley fills the frame of the divider between cockpit and fuselage *
Danley: Hey guys
Docan: Hey dude
Endun: Good to see you
Danley: Thanks guys *enters * I’ve warmed up the ship, we’re ready to descend further
Docan: How close are we going to get?
Danley: Oooh… around 30 K
Endun: Should be able to touch it…
Danley: That’s a negative Endun, no Mun sampling on this mission, however it will fill the view and, more importantly, radio communications if our byway dish is, for example, on the over side of this Mun- if you fellas have any phone calls to make to, I dunno, your lady friends-
*Endun and Docan laugh *
Danley: Otherwise, strap in please
*Danley disappears back through the frame-way, Docan and Endun strapped in *
Danley: Docan, are we ready as far as you see?
Docan: …looks like it
Danley: Cape this is X0, we're going for the burn, standby… ignition

J3MGFyF.jpg

We’ve been holed, losing pressure!
I can get my suit to seal, oh phrid, PHRID!
Mayday mayday! We're losing pressure, we cant-

*Sharp breath in, Fredlas turns on his side*
Fredlas: *panting slightly * A dastard dream… or phriddy nightmare, whatever… I need a smoke
*gets up, hits head *
Fredlas: Oww!... ppphrid! I chose to sleep under the desk of all places… stupid
*Fredlas creeps out of the meeting room, up stairs, onto the roof service walkways *
Johnlin: Up early
*Fredlas whirls around on the walkway *
Johnlin: We're up here for the same reason ya know
Fredlas: *opening cigarette  box *To get a break?
Johnlin: For clear air, to de-mist the mind
*Fredlas thoughtfully puts the unopened box away *
Johnlin: Its going suger cube, Fredlas… sit with me, take in the air
*Fredlas obediently sits with Johnlin *
Johnlin: Its going suger cube my friend…

s1LeIJC.jpg
Danley: Engines off… all stop
Endun: …well look at that
Danley: So detailed-
Docan: And pristine… *stopping himself* I’ll check the ship’s integrity
Danley: How did I do Endun?
Endun: From what I can see, your burn was on target and our orbit is holding steady- we’re right next to this beauty
Danley: Great
Endun: We’ve also got plenty of fuel remaining for any orbital changes, which I can-
Docan: We’ve got a problem here
*Danley and Endun look back to the fuselage *
Endun: What is it
Docan: Something gone wrong with the servo on one of the solar panels
Danley: That’s not a mission critical is it?
Docan: Not yet, but if we can’t reposition the solar panel, it will be
Endun: Aww phrid
Docan:… quite… I’ve got to go outside and repair it, soon
Danley: We’re in a communications blackout right now, how can we ask-
Docan: If we don’t do it now, it’s mission abort anyway Danley, we’ve got no choice if we’re to carry on this mission
Danley: What if something else goes-
Docan: If I cant repair the servo, we abort the mission. If I don’t look, we abort the mission. If anything goes wrong after the servo at any time, we abort the mission- the only way to carry on this mission, is with a spacewalk
Endun: He’s right Danley, we’ve got the reserves and the return burn would be easy to-
Danley: Alright alright I get it! We’re taking the risk
Docan: Relax Danley, It’s  just another day in the office- besides, I’m taking the risks, if any
Danley:…
Docan: Danley, it wouldn’t be an test flight without risk- suit up guys

Edited by Rhyunix

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 8- Repairs

*In the cabin*

Danley: I've locked down the controls in the cockpit, we should be safe from any... unexpected manoeuvres

Docan: *In EVA suit * Right, so no bugging out without me

Endun: Precisely

Danley: Good luck Endun

Endun: ... thanks * opens airlock door* and here we... go

dDIgf7S.jpg

Danley: Docan-Capsule, do you read

Docan: ...reading you loud...and clear

Danley: Roger that, how is your suit?

Docan: Suit's fine manoeuvring jets functioning fully- I'm letting go of the bars... now

Danley: ...roger,

Moopcq8.jpg

Docan: Visor down... I'm straddling X-0 now

Endun: We can still see you

Docan: And I can see you * chuckles* pity you can't see... this... from in there

Endun: I'll get my time, you just make sure you keep on top of yours

Docan: Roger dodger

vtcSA8U.png

Docan: I'm approaching the starboard panel now- looks to me like it's failed to open and is, say 30%- no 50% of the way through the sequence... ah phrid- *louder* I'm seeing scorch marks from the hinges of the lid to the edges, that's not good- phrid

Endun: Can we repair it if it's burnt out?
Docan: The best we can do is delay the inevitable, the worst- no, we can't

Danley: Then we go back

Docan: Gee, it's almost like you want to go back Danley

Danley: Rather that then be stuck inside a malfunctioning container!
Docan: Easy there! X-0 has feelings!

Danley: ...

Docan: Now where was I- ah yes

f1WwHEm.png

Danley: You done yet?

Docan: ...now I am... OK- now, Endun: go to the main power conduit, and under solar, engage, err... panel two to out

Endun: Found it- engaging now

*high pitch, low frequency warble sounds*

Danley: Phridding heck, what have you done? Wh-

Endun: Relax, it's just current flow, right Docan?

Endun: Docan you there? *flies into cockpit and looks out window * phridding heck where is he!

Danley: I can't see him!

Endun: Docan are you there?! Docan!

*dull thud, Docan drifts past the window*

Danley: *flies back a little* PHRID!

Endun: No, no, no!... I gotta get out there!

Danley: Wait, look!

*manoeuvring jets appear, Docan turns, clearly in pain, face contorted trying to say something*

Danley: *whispers* Oh...phrid

Endun: *whispers* Comms must've fried...

*Docan shouts a word, over and over*

Endun: R.... no, D... DOOR! *Endun heads over to the airlock and taps controls

Danley: Wait! The air-

Endun: Phridding air can go to the next galaxy!

8w6AQyt.jpg

Danley: *at airlock keyhole* he's in, close it, fast!

*door closes*

Endun: I'm overruling the safety stops, just a few more seconds... hang in Docan!...there!

*air floods the airlock, Endun wrenches the door open*

Endun: Docan, talk to me man! *taking off Docan's helmet*

Danley: *taking off Docan's suit* phridding heck, look at his arm

Endun: *crying now* Docan, don't die dude, come on! *checks Docan's breathing*

*Endun and Danley stop, Endun holds his face in his hands*

Endun: No....

Docan: ... *coughs quietly, Danley and Endun look* circuit...breaker *more coughing* my a**

*Danley silently looks at Docan, Endun sobs with inaudible words*

Endun: *cradles Docan's upper body, takes a long breath and wipes tears* Phridding thought I lost you *voice wavering, takes another breath*

Danley: I'll...contact Cape... *heads for cockpit*

Endun: *shakes head* you're a tough boot

Docan: Sure *coughing* ...am... I can't *wheezes* feel my...hand

Endun: Yea, 'bout that...

*Docan laughs a little, when breaks into coughing*

Endun: *weak smile* we're gonna go back now, and you're not staying here, got it *tears but not crying*

Docan: We'll I gotta bring back som'in *wheezes*

Endun: What?

Docan: My... first! *clears thought, winces a little* first shock in... space!

Endun: *beaming* you hear that Danley? We're in the presence of the first rocket man who shocked himself!

Edited by Rhyunix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.