[1.8.0-1.12.5] AtmosphereAutopilot 1.6.1

Boris-Barboris

2 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Was this option ever added, and if so, how can I access it? Have been looking through the buttons and config file, but can't seem to find any way to switch from the main toolbar to Blizzy's where I keep all of my "mission critical" buttons.

Hello! No, unfortunately it was not done.

Hey! I don't know if it's a bug, but when I am on the standard fly-by-wire mode and I fire missiles from BDA, the plane nose dives quite violently and I cannot regain control nor input control. But when I turn off the autopilot and go back to SAS, the plane flies fine. Any idea why this happens and how could I resolve it? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 9:31 AM, ExMachina said:

Hey! I don't know if it's a bug, but when I am on the standard fly-by-wire mode and I fire missiles from BDA, the plane nose dives quite violently and I cannot regain control nor input control. But when I turn off the autopilot and go back to SAS, the plane flies fine. Any idea why this happens and how could I resolve it? Thanks!

Weird nose dives can happen when the 'Moderation' feature of the fly-by-wire gets a bit confused. Try turning it off while firing missiles, if you have it on!

On 7/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, ExMachina said:

I don't know if it's a bug

AA 'learns' what works as it first flies your craft.  (You will see a file appear in GameData/AtmosphericAuotpilot/designs for your craft, recording what it has gleaned.)

Firing missiles changes the mass/geometry including e.g. leverage of control surfaces -- your craft becomes essentially different to fly.

I do think it is a good idea to turn it off during/immediately after firing missiles, recovering to a 'safe' flight attitude and then turning it back on to let AA readjust.

I have no experience with this particular situation, so you will be pioneering the effort.  (e.g. "you are on your own, kerbal!")  :)

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the autopilot.

Director controller/allow_spin_down -- interesting setting, but I never use it.  But for my tasks it is even harmful. It is very annoying to turn it off constantly after each load of the save. It would be nice to add the state of this button to the save.

Flying to a given point is very useful. Unfortunately, Cruise Flight does not remember the entered coordinates, when saving and have to be entered again when loading.

Speed control after loading does not highlight the selected speed units, although it uses m/s.

When climbing to a given height, the pitch straightening does not occur smoothly. At first, it gradually decreases, but just before reaching level flight, there is a sharp increase in pitch and then its gradual decrease. Unfortunately, this jerk can significantly reduce the speed of the aircraft, which can take it out of the optimal speed range. As a result, the speed will begin to fall further due to insufficient engine thrust. I would like to get rid of this jerk.

If it is required to slightly (by 1-10 m/s) reduce the speed of the aircraft, the autopilot turns off the engine completely for a very short time. This causes the speed to decrease more than the set value. Maybe you should not turn off the engine completely when braking, but simply reduce its power so that it restores it faster. With significant speed reductions, it could also be useful to bring the engine power from zero not immediately, but gradually, so that they have time to warm up.

From time to time, when you fly at a given speed at a given altitude, there will be small beating of the thrust and pitch controls. Sometimes the beats are weak and affect only the last sign in the amount of fuel consumption by the engine, but there have been cases of fairly sweeping fluctuations. In most cases, you can quickly click on the pitch control key or turn on the PID controller in the Thrust controller window, but this does not always help.

Maybe it will be interesting:

Speed control can work with knots.

1 knot = 1 nautical mile / h

Historically, nautical mile was defined as the meridian arc length corresponding to one minute (1/60 of a degree) of latitude at the equator. Today the international nautical mile is defined as 1852 metres.

Kerbin radius = 600000m. Equator length = 3769911.18m.  1 minute of angle -> 174.5329m (3769911.18/(360*60)).

1 (Kerbin) knot  = 0.048481 m/s (174.5329/3600). :)

Edited by Udav

• 2 months later...

Hey, so I'm having an issue with the plane on FBW just refusing to roll. It just straight-up does not acknowledge the roll input exists. When I turn off FBW the plane handles fine and responds to roll inputs, but when it's on, the surfaces just stop moving completely. Any idea as to what could be causing the issue?

8 hours ago, ZW03 said:

Hey, so I'm having an issue with the plane on FBW just refusing to roll. It just straight-up does not acknowledge the roll input exists. When I turn off FBW the plane handles fine and responds to roll inputs, but when it's on, the surfaces just stop moving completely. Any idea as to what could be causing the issue?

Try disabling Moderation and see if the issue persists. A lot of the time when I'm using AA and the controls get sluggish, that's typically what the cause is.

• 1 month later...

Hello here :D

The mod works perfectly during a initial takeoff until I land at an airport. If I try to take off again (I play with contract pack Kerbin Side Remastered GAP) , my plane goes in all directions and crash just after leaving the ground. I've tried disabling Atmospheric Autopilot on the ground and re-enabling it, turning off and restarting my engines, disable moderation but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to reset it once on the ground?

10 hours ago, Misucat said:

Hello here :D

The mod works perfectly during a initial takeoff until I land at an airport. If I try to take off again (I play with contract pack Kerbin Side Remastered GAP) , my plane goes in all directions and crash just after leaving the ground. I've tried disabling Atmospheric Autopilot on the ground and re-enabling it, turning off and restarting my engines, disable moderation but nothing seems to work. Is there a way to reset it once on the ground?

I'm afraid not, but the reset will inevitably happen after game save-load cycle.

11 hours ago, Misucat said:

Is there a way to reset it once on the ground?

Assuming you landed with AP engaged and that is what caused the ensuing problem, then...  try the following.

When you take off again, do it without the auto-pilot.  Once you get to a safe altitude, engage the auto-pilot and give it some time to get straightened out.  If you get out-of-control, disengage the a/p, get re-established en route, at a safe altitude -- and try again.  I think this may help, but can't guarantee it.

Edited by Hotel26

Note that the behavior returns to normal after 3 minutes of flight. A lot of Kerbals have died to obtain this information :sealed: ...

I haven't tried returning to the KSC screen between two flights to see if it solves the problem and if doesn't affect the contracts. Thanks again for your responses!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.