New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Tex_NL

6 hours ago, GeneralVeers said:

Klingon officer rewarding those of his charges who do the most killing

Can you provide more context for this?  Killing whom?  The most opponents in battle?

I seemed to. But did I......? I could answer "no", but you have no idea if I mean that or if I simply made it up.

Yup.  Hence my original quote, emphasis added: "Conversational tactics like these seem to indicate that you're not listening."

I never made an absolute statement about your listening or not, precisely for the reasons you state.  I note, though, that you're not giving reasons for the behavior that made it seem that way, which is interesting -- as is the fact that I evidently have to repeat myself when the conversational topic is about listening.

Not even. Star Trek was fun even when it was predictable

Okay; that's a decent opinion.  But even if we take it as written, that doesn't imply that new story territory is a bad thing; there are more cheesy stories to tell in entertaining ways than the ones covered by Star Trek's original format.  In other words, it seems like difference in format and excellence in storytelling are separate issues, and as such, there's no reason not to try new formats.  Even if you take one storytelling format as excellent, that does not even imply that other storytelling formats are a bad direction for the franchise to take.

9 hours ago, Nikolai said:

Can you provide more context for this?  Killing whom?  The most opponents in battle?

See previous post. "A Private Little War".

"It's hard to divide one woman."

"Giver her to the man who killed the most of her people. The others will see the profit in bravery."

as is the fact that I evidently have to repeat myself when the conversational topic is about listening.

It's not. It's not about listening, and it's not about the fact that I'm failing to answer some of your stuff. (it used to be, but it changed, and you missed the change!)

This particular line of argument is that you, Nikolai, don't know why GeneralVeers is not answering some of your stuff. You think you know.......but you don't.

Okay; that's a decent opinion.  But even if we take it as written, that doesn't imply that new story territory is a bad thing; there are more cheesy stories to tell in entertaining ways than the ones covered by Star Trek's original format.  In other words, it seems like difference in format and excellence in storytelling are separate issues, and as such, there's no reason not to try new formats.  Even if you take one storytelling format as excellent, that does not even imply that other storytelling formats are a bad direction for the franchise to take.

That's just it. Later serieses after TOS did mess with the format. And they tanked. (the fact that the storytelling was lackluster did not help......or, rather, it did help tank the shows)

Star Trek needs to do one of two things. Either it needs to stick to what made it great in the first place, or it needs to die. To hell with the reboot, because I know damn bloody well it will not do the first one.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.