Retain pseudo-physics outside 2.5km range for objects with parachutes deployed

I have no real idea how your physics system works, so I have no idea how possible this would be.

However one area of minor frustration with the game is that there is no way to save hugely expensive bits of rocket that we jettison on the way up. Attaching parachutes fails because when too far away from the main rocket they are simply treated as "burning up in atmosphere".

So would it possible to make an exception, to make recovery of our most expensive kit possible?

I'm sure coding the system to retain "real" physics for objects out of range would be impractical.

But might it be relatively simple to have an exception to the "burning up in atmosphere" treatment, e.g. by testing for deployed parachutes + current airspeed, checking whether this allows for a touchdown / splashdown, then applying a % recovery value to the object (even if this means cheating and placing it immediately on the surface as far as the tracking station is concerned)?

My apologies if this has been suggested before...

There are at least two mods that deal with this problem AFAIK.

But I agree. I already said this in the thread about pilot class, but I'll say it again: Vessels shouldn't despawn if there is at least one Kerbal Pilot on board of the vessel flying in the atmosphere.

• 1 year later...

THIS! I tried to make "Sciencebombs™" that are basically equipment with a parachute and a probe that can be dropped during flight and would land safely and be able to do science on Kerbin and be recovered. The problem here is that when they are dropped with a deployed parachute they only get destroyed for no apparent reason. This should not happen!!!

For the love of gods and all that is precious, devs please if there is a way make an exception to things with deployed/autotriggered parachutes so they don't just vanish. I will name my firstborn Jebediah for this!

9 hours ago, KooMa said:

THIS! I tried to make "Sciencebombs™" that are basically equipment with a parachute and a probe that can be dropped during flight and would land safely and be able to do science on Kerbin and be recovered. The problem here is that when they are dropped with a deployed parachute they only get destroyed for no apparent reason. This should not happen!!!

For the love of gods and all that is precious, devs please if there is a way make an exception to things with deployed/autotriggered parachutes so they don't just vanish. I will name my firstborn Jebediah for this!

This mod may help you... 

Edited by mikesm

On 22/06/2017 at 10:39 AM, Laythe Dweller said:

And thus, the thread necroing began!

This was fixed in 1.0, by the way, where being on a suborbital trajectory extends the physics range to ~40 km IIRC.

Well thread was old but I found it by search and it was correct so why write a new one?

And I don't know how it was fixed but it sure as heck didn't work for me. Try what I described yourself and tell me how that went :)

On 23/06/2017 at 11:56 AM, 322997am said:

I just use physics range extender and that's it

Thanks for the tip, I'll go check that out immediately! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.