What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

4 hours ago, phantom000 said:

Is there a landing radar?

It's kinda janky, but there is a radar altimiter on the inside of the capsules.You have to be in cockpit mode to see it, though. Also, lights.

As for me, I would prefer that stock remains somewhat simple and uncluttered. Boats, helicopters, and warp drives are neat, but they can remain the place of mods.

For me:

Visual updates (even just clouds, though scatterer would be amazing.)

Easier vessel switching. I have downloaded KAC just for the vessel switching function.

Pipes from KIS/KAS.

A surface mount dead weight.  Maybe adjustable?  A heavy one would be nice on cars, er I mean rovers, stick them right in front to get the handling characteristics correct.  Would be useful to really dial in the handling characteristics of Space Planes.

I suppose this thread is now old enough that it might be interesting to review some of the things suggested we now have:

Bigger fixed solar panels. More steerable landing gear, though the biggest ones are still fixed. And bigger gear overall. OMS engines sort of, with the Puff redesign. Inflatable heatshield. "More satellite parts" now we have all the antennas and the commnet system to make them useful. "Reinforced joints" in a sense with the autostrut feature.

And probably more, I only read the first 5 or 6 pages.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, phantom000 said:

Is there a landing radar? I have crashed on Mun so many times because i had no idea how high i was. The altimeter only measures sea-level so when landing on a dry body it gives only a vague idea of where the surface is. If it hasn't been implemented maybe it could work as a part that is attached to the landing module and can be activated in the action groups.

The in-cockpit view has a radar altimeter (press the C key to go inside).  If you're open to mods, Kerbal Engineer Redux can provide you with all sorts of informational displays, including altitude over terrain.

better solar panels, bigger ions, or better electric systems.

To make functional satellites for communications, power requires are ridiculously high that by the time you have just ONE transmitter on Duna or Dres, you require somewhere upwards of 15,000 units of EC. To have that much EC stuffed into a 0.625m "satellite" makes your satellite appear to be a micro rocket, not to mention high part count. Now I concede NEAR Future Electrical has a few really nice, high storage parts, and I even use them from time to time, but honestly, they aren't really higher density so you get loosely the same dimensional requirements so you're ending up with lower part count, but loosely the same shape&size. Now we have lots and lots of satellites in Earth orbit, and I'm pretty sure for the most part very very few (if any) of them ever truly run out of power during dark side trips. And we don't have micrometeorites or "dust" in KSP, so I don't see us (yet) being forced to send Kerbals out to "clean & repair" satellite solar panels.

So to fix the dark side energy needs to have transmitting communication satellites, if we don't reduce the stock need for power (which is arguably the easiest fix), or a super high-density EC battery is needed, so we can keep those communication satellites low part count, and small & compact like they should be.

OMG some new capsules please, especially a two man one.  Thank heavens for LeBeau Space Industries mod, it feels like a replacement for major capsule upgrades missing...

I'll echo Warzouz' request for more space station parts, in fact a whole revision to the tech tree to support this wouldn't be a bad idea...

Oh, the usual.

• A more comprehensive 3.75 m parts system
  • Inflatable Habitats
  • A 2.5 meter NERV
  • Better, bigger solar Panels
  • MOAR planets, or a few new moons at least

Of course, mods can do most, is not all, unless of course your computed is, bad, like mine, and then a stock game is most agreeable.

Whichever parts I need to build a forklift for manipulating modules on planet and moon surfaces. The hoses and extendable docking ports others have mentioned would be useful as well.

Currently, surface-base building is one of the major areas where KSP is lacking. It's almost impossible to get things connected down there.

I think a part pruning would be useful as well. Certain parts like the AV-R8 winglet, Tail Fin and Standard Canard are so similar as to be practically identical and just clutter up the parts menu.

On 1/5/2017 at 2:55 PM, Somtaaw said:

To make functional satellites for communications, power requires are ridiculously high that by the time you have just ONE transmitter on Duna or Dres, you require somewhere upwards of 15,000 units of EC. <Snip>

Unless you are transmitting some unholy amount of data using your antenna, there is no way you need that much electricity for it. AFAIK an antenna doesn't actually use the rated power except when transmitting data. You can use it to control your probe/as a relay nearly free of charge.

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Unless you are transmitting some unholy amount of data using your antenna, there is no way you need that much electricity for it. AFAIK an antenna doesn't actually use the rated power except when transmitting data. You can use it to control your probe/as a relay nearly free of charge.

I installed some mod (AmpYear I think it was) a few weeks back for double checking my EC needs for standard, run of the mill communication satellites over different planets. Even with just a HECS probe core, a standard RA-15 dish, and 3 solar panels for recharging. Assuming a 100km orbit of Duna, the mod tells me I need almost 35,000 EC to handle the dark side orbits. Sample picture of the AmpYear Mod displaying EC needs

Since it's a communication satellite, possibility of brownouts is bad, would really suck if you forgot to account where your satellite is, start to transmit data, your satellite runs out of juice due to darkside passage, which shuts down due to no power, and then your rover stops functioning because you no longer have an active relay. If Ampyear didn't also setup most probes to have reserve power, you'd then be forced to send an actual Kerbal over on what amounts to "ok Bob, We're sending you out to Duna, you need to hit the reset button on the rover and the satellite and come on back home."

Amendment: ok, it might be some of my other mods that could be influencing the need to have a Kerbal physically turning probes on, I have quite a few and several I got months ago and keep updated without actually being sure why I like(d) the mod in question.

What do I think is missing?... Build aids!! Mods like RCS Build Aid and Kerbal Engineer should be in the stock game. Also an alignment guide for wheels would be nice as well, speaking of which... The landing gear in the game ought to be like the Adjustable Landing Gear mod ... Procedural!!! :)

The game should not be v1.+

Its not finished.

• Life support (LS) - minimum of Heat (Electric Charge) and Air (O2) with relevant parts and functions. scrubbers, processors, generators.
  • Adequate mission planning tools with alarms to assist players with LS system. (Δv calculator, LS calculator, flight planner, mission calendar with alarms)
  • Procedural tank system with tweakable resource contents, size (with limits), auto tank skins + light weight "skinless/gold foil" and heavy heat shielded skin options. *tank tweakables only accessible within VAB **backwards compatible to preserve current craft files
  • Procedural wings. *backwards compatible to preserve current craft files
  • Player programmable probe cores using drag and drop programming system. number of commands limited depending on core. allows probes to operate outside of communication range. also automate flight plans. (eg: "eject fairing when alt = >20000" or "set throttle 0 when perigee =>70000") *not quite autopilot as player has to program it.
  • Complete planet survey system. visual cameras, cloud penetrating radar and map view layers. feeds back to mission planning tools. let the kerbals take pictures!
  • Clouds. puffy, fluffy, wispy, clouds
Edited by Capt Snuggler

On 06/01/2017 at 7:48 PM, LetsGoToMars! said:

A 2.5 meter NERV

Before that we need 2.5m and 3.75m liquid only tanks. Stripping the oxidizer out is hellishly weight inefficient compared to 1.25m liquid only fuselages.

On 1/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, Capt Snuggler said:
  • Life support (LS) - minimum of Heat (Electric Charge) and Air (O2) with relevant parts and functions. scrubbers, processors, generators.
  • Adequate mission planning tools with alarms to assist players with LS system. (Δv calculator, LS calculator, flight planner, mission calendar with alarms)
  • Procedural tank system with tweakable resource contents, size (with limits), auto tank skins + light weight "skinless/gold foil" and heavy heat shielded skin options. *tank tweakables only accessible within VAB **backwards compatible to preserve current craft files
  • Procedural wings. *backwards compatible to preserve current craft files
  • Player programmable probe cores using drag and drop programming system. number of commands limited depending on core. allows probes to operate outside of communication range. also automate flight plans. (eg: "eject fairing when alt = >20000" or "set throttle 0 when perigee =>70000") *not quite autopilot as player has to program it.
  • Complete planet survey system. visual cameras, cloud penetrating radar and map view layers. feeds back to mission planning tools. let the kerbals take pictures!
  • Clouds. puffy, fluffy, wispy, clouds

Player programmable probe cores? At default when a probe is out of range, you can still activate parts on, throttle max/min and set to aim at orbital cardinal directions...it's a good compromise between real-time control and the limits of self-programming.

The rest of the ideas are cool though(Life support is somewhat overrated...it's cool that it stops you from sending 1-man landers all the way to Jool, but it also causes headaches when missing Minmus intercepts)

8 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Player programmable probe cores? At default when a probe is out of range, you can still activate parts on, throttle max/min and set to aim at orbital cardinal directions...it's a good compromise between real-time control and the limits of self-programming.

Programming isn't really the right word. more script writing.

kOS is a bit too complex for stock while MechJeb is does too much, removing the player entirely.

I'm suggesting simple context based "if commands" the player can use to automate events in the flight plan like staging automatically when the engine cuts out or changing pitch at specified altitude. when stacking these commands you could easily automate the entire launch process.

other processes could also be automated with careful planning, but there is still allot of room for error on the players part, much like the craft building process.

*In the late game the process of repeatedly launching rocket after rocket with similar payloads becomes very tedious. This should help alleviate that while still making the player responsible for success or failure.

Edited by Capt Snuggler

1 hour ago, Capt Snuggler said:

Programming isn't really the right word. more script writing.

kOS is a bit too complex for stock while MechJeb is does too much, removing the player entirely.

I'm suggesting simple context based "if commands" the player can use to automate events in the flight plan like staging automatically when the engine cuts out or changing pitch at specified altitude. when stacking these commands you could easily automate the entire launch process.

other processes could also be automated with careful planning, but there is still allot of room for error on the players part, much like the craft building process.

*In the late game the process of repeatedly launching rocket after rocket with similar payloads becomes very tedious. This should help alleviate that while still making the player responsible for success or failure.

Yes of course it would be fun, but i havn't seen something that can fit stock. I know RemoteTech had an automation screen, but it was near impossible to make an automated mars lander. For launching, maybe it's easier on standardized boosters. The thing is, it feels too complex for stock (even with drag and drop). Remember how SQUAD doesn't even want lots of numbers on screen(dv readout?) for fear it might scare away new players?

On 16.11.2015 at 7:11 AM, Xkay7 said:

Why propellers? We already have jet engines for high efficiency atmospheric flight, and ion engines and nuclear engines for high efficiency space flight.

On Eve? Any single engine that allows for reasonable powered flight in low Eve atmosphere?

I'd add a minimalistic late game probe core, "Stayputnik 2". No SAS, no RW, minimal power draw, minimal mass, minimal size. Okto2 is too power-hungry.

Tiny RTG.

2.5m LF-only tank.

More various lights.

Radial separators.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.