What do you feel is missing from the STOCK game as far as parts goes ?

I think these parts would be great

2.5 meter cargo bay

2.5 meter plane parts

2.5 meter plane cockpit (like an AC-130)

Robotic parts

Nuclear reactor 

Planetary base parts

Mk 1 F/A-18 and F/A-22 cockpit

F/A-22 style jet thrust vectoring

Bigger ion engines

Petal adapter

Propellers

///////////

This isn't a part really but I think there should be a competition difficulty where you have to beat other rival space programs to get more science

Mechanical arms(mini Klaw?!)

Anything allowing for a robotic joint to make objects movable for things like ground based docking.

Sweepable wings

More/Bigger asteroids!! ><

I think there are other things but I can't remember.

Edited by Arugela

• 2 weeks later...

The main thing that I would like to see is more structural parts. I only play with the game on stock, and I'd love it if there were some more structural panels.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and I dislike seeing extra paneling protruding from my builds. The square plates have been quite a lot of help in building crazy vehicles, but I'd love it if we had triangular and/or some even smaller structural plates.

It's just I'm currently trying to build a nice semi/rig and the front section is somewhat v-shaped in design, but I can't complete it the way I'd want it without having panels sticking out as it is. All I'd need is something like the small structural plate cut in half diagonally and I'd be able to complete it.

On 2017-01-10 at 7:33 AM, Somtaaw said:

Even with just a HECS probe core, a standard RA-15 dish, and 3 solar panels for recharging. Assuming a 100km orbit of Duna, the mod tells me I need almost 35,000 EC to handle the dark side orbits.

The math is correct. A 100km Duna orbit has a dark time of just under 860 seconds and your satellite is apparently burning through 40EC per second which would need 35KEC of battery power. Pretty sure that power rate only holds while actually transmitting data though...

While more plane parts would be nice (2.5 meter C-130 esque cockpit? Yes please.) I think the single thing that would add the most to the game is stock hinges. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Something as simple as being able to surface-mount parts to cargo bay doors and then have them move with the door would allow me to design aircraft with variable geometry wings or build a simple mechanical arm.

Most important?

- Electrical propellers, so you can flight on the bodies that have atmosphere but do not have oxygen in it.

- Some kind of rubber hosepipe for easy refueling, especially on the ground (with proper gas caps or something, smaller than docking ports). This is MUST HAVE and SUPER DUPER IMPORTANT!

- More light choices! Both smaller and bigger, plus navigation lights (red, green, white)

- Some parts to build ships or boats? That could be much useful on Eve or Laythe!.

- Moar spaceplane parts! I feel a bit limited by current amount.

- More structural parts of different shapes and sizes, for building walls etc.

I think the thing with gas caps is they should probably be on existing parts on top of being radial options. I know there is also the wierd thing with those holes at the front of the MK2 cockpit and whatnot that should be monopropelient holes to help stop the craft. but they were not put on. Which is a shame. they should really go back and add all the stuff that was never put in the game that was supposed to. Most of them would be insanely useful. I'm tired of having to create bidirectional stuff to slow my ship when most of my ship parts should already have a means to do it. There are alot of things that should be in the game already but aren't. It looks like they stopped halfway through with most of the objects in the game and never made stuff work. I bet they originally planned to have much more complicated and realistic software to stop the ship and control movement. Probably to act like real craft. How does every game start out that way then they never do it. It's not like in this game there is no realistic version to model after. they could probably even get a simplified code from nasa or the form of it. There alot less excuse with it being based on real life analogs. There should be tons more stuff in this game. We should get real SAS type stuff like the real shuttles and stuff had. Almost totally realistic docking procedures etc.

So, I think the existing parts need to be hashed out fully also. Isn't there alot of automation in real spacecraft. Add that stuff in then focus on making more realistic missions to do so there is something to do in the game. Model everything more after how real spacecraft and missions work and add in things reflecting real missions or planned missions. The games controls are all simple simply because there is nothing in the game to do. Which is pretty silly as we have a whole host of real world analogs to model. This game should be full of things to do. How about more realistic experiments. Put in walking in stations and have it where you actually grow plants and run experiments and get results etc. Same thing with more analysis of the environment on planets. Anything and everything that can be thought of. This game needs more dimensions added to it. (more aspects to it not dimensional warp.)

Edited by Arugela

Exit/entry hatches that can be placed at any point on a command pod and be used as the default hatch. I don't block my command pod hatch very often but sometimes your particular vessal design requires you to sink the command pod into another part or block the hatch with a part. In that case hatches would be a great addition and create a lot of new potential vessal configurations. 

On 12/14/2015 at 5:34 AM, Stoney3K said:

5-way Vernor-type engines

Either this (big enough to be effective on 3.75/2.5 m ships with several in line tanks), or add linear Vernor type motors (thrusting forward or backward) to augment the existing Vernors, allowing full RCS with Lf/O supply (i.e. removing the need for monopropellant on ships that will have a reserve of Lf/O).  My current Mun/Minmus/maybe Duna/Dres ship design could fly without monoprop tankage if there were a complete Lf/O attitude/vernier solution that ran entirely off the RCS controls.  The existing Vernors do fine for pitch/yaw.  They don't give roll, but the command pod reaction wheel can handle that (these stages are too big to fly well without any RCS, and need to dock anyway).  But without any means of translating forward and back, I wind up having to install RCS and monoprop tankage.

I may try mounting Vernors on the smallest winglets or smallest trusses to get roll and fore/aft translation, but I don't know if they'll work like an RCS block.

On 12.02.2017 at 3:57 PM, Zeiss Ikon said:

I may try mounting Vernors on the smallest winglets or smallest trusses to get roll and fore/aft translation, but I don't know if they'll work like an RCS block.

They do. Not even mounted on these, just rotated 90 degrees, so they stick out of the spacecraft side. Looks a little silly and sucks aerodynamically, but works. (also, for somewhat better looks, I stick another vernor right on the bottom of the first, for a fore/aft pair.)

Regarding the "programming" idea, I never tried it but maybe the old "Smart Parts" mod would give us some cues; it's able to do certain actions based on certain conditions. Something like that on the probe cores would work too. I don't think it would be too hard to make it simple for simple stuff, yet nonetheless powerful for the real nerds.

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestions are fairly simple compared to a lot of you guys.

Expanding landing platforms for ground bases with fuel transfer options.

Wind turbines for atmospheric bases

Programerble prob cores for staged parts, this is so you could fit srb's or staged fuel tanks with air brakes and chutes that activate at set intervals for recovery later

The ability to change how control surfaces react regardless of the position of the COM. For example, putting the elevators at the front of the SSTO/Plane instead of always having to have them at the back.
And of course, more parts and more missions/challenges to do. Kinda gets boring when the same stuff repeats over and over while having everything already unlocked. I'd probably ask for the science tree to be re-balanced and more planets/moons, but I'm sure many have also asked for it.

12 hours ago, Joltout said:

The ability to change how control surfaces react regardless of the position of the COM. For example, putting the elevators at the front of the SSTO/Plane instead of always having to have them at the back.
And of course, more parts and more missions/challenges to do. Kinda gets boring when the same stuff repeats over and over while having everything already unlocked. I'd probably ask for the science tree to be re-balanced and more planets/moons, but I'm sure many have also asked for it.

You can already do this. Right click on the control surface and set it to pitch only. You can invert the direction of positive pitch as well...there are canards in the stock game, they are specifically made to be elevators at the front :confused:

You want to explore Kerbol system before everything is unlocked? Play with 30% reward settings, you will really enjoy that.

Don't bring up the "science tree to be re-balanced" topic, it usually summons that career-overhaul guy :P

8 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

You can already do this. Right click on the control surface and set it to pitch only. You can invert the direction of positive pitch as well...there are canards in the stock game, they are specifically made to be elevators at the front :confused:

Tried this, doesn't work. The designs I try to make with this problem in mind don't generally have canards either, but the COM is behind the main wings instead and it doesn't matter if I invert the controls, the control surfaces just act in the one direction, the one that pushes against the tail controls and denies what should be a smooth/easy take off.

An example of one of the designs I tried to make was the Me-262 HG-2. I had to put 4 full small ore tanks in the nose to push the COM forward enough to make them behave correctly, despite everything being perfectly fine otherwise.

Me-262 HG2:

Spoiler

germany-me-262-hg2-screenshots-03-950x43

Edited by Joltout

On 11/16/2015 at 0:11 AM, Xkay7 said:

- Electric Propellers (I'd say 3 sizes: 0.625, 1.25 and 2.5 to fit existing fuel tanks)

Why propellers? We already have jet engines for high efficiency atmospheric flight, and ion engines and nuclear engines for high efficiency space flight.

We had propellers before we had jet engines. It could be another career tech tree node.

I, personally think props would be a great addition to the game. As a 'replica builder', it would unlock a lot more options (planes) for me to build.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.