Snark

[1.2.2] BetterBurnTime v1.5.3: Accurate burn time indicator on navball. No more "N/A"!

359 posts in this topic

Okay, I'm doing .zip from now on, but have to say that .zip is nearly double the size than .7z and I didn't use it for years as long no special circumstances forced me to do.
I edited the post above with a new link.

And I can't provide "text postings" of full logs because I don't want to get an account on pastebin to be able to post text stuff that is longer than 512 KB ...

58 minutes ago, Snark said:

whatever mod provides those info windows says you have a max thrust of 0

It's MechJeb ..

btw the titles of the imgur pictures were mismatched, I changed the titles but inside the post they still show the wrong title... perhaps a forum issue with a cache not actualizing soon...

Then the issue is more clear if you switch "deactivated" with "activated" and vice versa ...

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

It's MechJeb ..

btw the titles of the imgur pictures were mismatched, I changed the titles but inside the post they still show the wrong title... perhaps a forum issue with a cache not actualizing soon...

Then the issue is more clear if you switch "deactivated" with "activated" and vice versa ...

In this picture http://imgur.com/lH1EOIO it looks like you have no LH2 left in the stage. I'm not certain of this because I don't use ARP but it does say 0.00/0.00 and if your engine relies on LH2 as it looks like in the pic then BBT will be unable to calculate a burn time seeing as there's no fuel. Also, there's a chance BBT doesn't work with the RO engine module (@Snark does it?).

Gordon, I'm going to say to you what has been said in several other threads. Please take some time and find a reproducible problem with the minimum set of mods needed to create the problem and post exact steps on how to reproduce. It'll make debugging a heck of a lot easier.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Also, there's a chance BBT doesn't work with the RO engine module (@Snark does it?).

BetterBurnTime finds engines that use ModuleEngines (or a module derived therefrom, such as ModuleEnginesFX).  As long as it's using something derived from ModuleEngines, I think that ought to be fine.  (If I'm looking in the right place-- am I?-- then I think it uses ModuleEnginesFX, which would work okay.)

I do have a vague memory of somebody having trouble getting BBT to work with RO, but it was a long time ago, and whatever it was may or may not still be relevant.  Can't say from first-hand experience because I never run RO myself.

@Gordon Dry, you could try running without RO installed and see whether that makes the problem go away-- that would definitively answer the question.  Based on how BBT works, I'd say that RO would be far more likely to be the issue than Procedural Fairings, since that mod tinkers with engines, which is what BBT cares about.

In this picture http://imgur.com/lH1EOIO it looks like you have no LH2 left in the stage.

Yeah, that would do it-- if an engine has been starved for propellant, BBT discounts it, so it's the same as if the engine weren't there, even if it's activated.  Easy way to test this:  turn on the "infinite propellant" cheat, then briefly blip the engine to some non-zero throttle setting to clear the "starved" flag.  If that makes the problem go away, then this is the issue and it has nothing to do with RO itself.

Please take some time and find a reproducible problem with the minimum set of mods needed to create the problem and post exact steps on how to reproduce.

^ Very much this.

It'll make debugging a heck of a lot easier.

That, and also the mod author would probably be considerably more inclined to spend their time trying to help you.  :wink:

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I've noticed that the forum software can be a bit flaky where imgur albums are concerned.  Better to just post the imgur image link directly, so that it shows up as an inline image rather than an album.  That works, reliably.

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

it looks like you have no LH2 left in the stage

No, this is allright, with this specific engine it's just to be switched with "Toggle mode" and only shows the "main ingredient" but not the amount.

16 hours ago, Snark said:

Better to just post the imgur image link directly

I will do.

20 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

No, this is allright, with this specific engine it's just to be switched with "Toggle mode" and only shows the "main ingredient" but not the amount.

Could you post a link to the.cfg file for the engine? (It ought to be available on whatever place the mod lists its source code, like GitHub or wherever.) Being able to see the config will allow me to verify (or eliminate) some possible root causes of the issue.

38 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Snark it's using a regular noduleenginefx 

@Gordon Dry could you post your ModuleManager.configCache. That'll show us if anything is being overridden in the part's .cfg. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Thanks, that's helpful to see.  For one thing, I gather that it's a multi-mode engine with different modes that use different fuels.  Not sure how well BBT handles that-- it wasn't a specific test case that I can recall looking at.  I don't know that it can't.... but then, I don't know that it *can*, either.  Something to check.

Can you please check the following:

• Launch a test ship that has a standard stock engine on it (with appropriate fuel).  Do you still see the problem?
  • Launch a test ship that has this engine on it... and also has fuel tanks with appropriate fuel for all engine modes (regardless of which mode happens to be active at the moment).  Do you still see the problem?

Also, would be helpful to see a log file in an appropriate format, per my earlier request.