[1.12.x] BetterBurnTime v1.10: Provides extra burn-time indicators on the navball for suicide burns & target rendezvous.

Snark

17 minutes ago, MK3424 said:

Anyone else having this graphical bug? (navball) It only shows up when you're close to a target... 

9xFfsSI.png

That's weird, I get time to and distance of encounter, and time to burn to 0 velocity there. Along with those dots, of course. Are you on 1.2.2? I'm on 1.2.1 as I've not updated yet.

40 minutes ago, MK3424 said:

Anyone else having this graphical bug? (navball) It only shows up when you're close to a target... 

I get this too. Did you isolate it to BetterBurnTime? I had no clue where to begin from all my other mods. Running 1.2.2 with GPP (Galileo)

9 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

I get this too. Did you isolate it to BetterBurnTime? I had no clue where to begin from all my other mods. Running 1.2.2 with GPP (Galileo)

Yes it was better burntime because it only pops up when betterburntime displayed only the dots and no burn info...

On normal maneuvers it was fine tho.

And yes i'm using 1.2.2... 

Me too, driving me insane.  Sometimes going to Map View and back clears it, sometimes not.  I did notice it started after the recent update to BBT (and the six other mods I updated at the same time).  Will confirm if removing BBT fixes it

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

Me too, driving me insane.  Sometimes going to Map View and back clears it, sometimes not.  I did notice it started after the recent update to BBT (and the six other mods I updated at the same time).  Will confirm if removing BBT fixes it

Yes.. it was BBT...

Everyone who has that bug with the navball, try rescaling the navball in the KSP settings menu...
This exact thing was a stock bug i reported for the 1.2 pre-release, that was linked to UI scaling settings...
It got fixed in 1.2.0...

Edited by Stone Blue

Sorry for the disruption, everyone.  I totally dropped the (nav)ball.  1.5.2 is just a broken update, it's simply wrong, and I didn't test enough to catch it.  Mea culpa, totally my fault, it's been a very hectic week (not that that's any excuse) and I didn't do sufficient testing before releasing it.

I've released v1.5.3 now, which puts it back the way it was in 1.5.1.  It's fixed.

Really sorry for the screwup.  Now I just need to go hide in a cave.  :blush:

8 hours ago, Snark said:

Sorry for the disruption, everyone.  I totally dropped the (nav)ball.  1.5.2 is just a broken update, it's simply wrong, and I didn't test enough to catch it.  Mea culpa, totally my fault, it's been a very hectic week (not that that's any excuse) and I didn't do sufficient testing before releasing it.

I've released v1.5.3 now, which puts it back the way it was in 1.5.1.  It's fixed.

Really sorry for the screwup.  Now I just need to go hide in a cave.  :blush:

It's okay Snark.. at least you have done something about it... there are other mod developers who we don't hear from them for a while...

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, alphaman said:

Does it work for KSP 1.2.1?

Yes.  :)

(KSP 1.2.2 was a very minor update that was mainly just bug-fixing-- I doubt it would have broken any mods, unless they're explicitly locked to a particular KSP version.  For the most part, I'd expect any mod that works in 1.2.2 to work in 1.2.1.)

Also, just an FYI:  for any mod hosted on SpaceDock (such as this one), you can look at the "Changelog" tab of the mod's download page, and it'll show you every posted past version, along with what KSP version it was for, the date it was released, and any release notes the author may have included.  I always try to include meaningful, useful notes in each new version of each of my mods; if there are any changes that were required due to a KSP revision, I make a point of saying so.

Thus, for example, if you look at the version history of BetterBurnTime, you'll see that v1.5 was for KSP 1.2, whereas v1.5.1 was for KSP 1.2.2.  But none of the change nodes on v1.5.1 mention anything about "KSP 1.2.2 compatibility"-- that's because KSP 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 didn't cause any compatibility problems with BBT and required no changes.

Aside from the changelog tab on SpaceDock, I've also taken to including a changelog.txt file that gets installed with each of my mods, which echoes essentially the same content.  That way, if you already have one of my mods installed, you can see which version you have and what the changes have been, just from looking in the mod's folder.  Here's the changelog.txt file for BetterBurnTime.

Anyway, I'm kinda curious-- any particular reason you're still running KSP 1.2.1 and haven't updated to 1.2.2?

I tried to use BBT with RSS (without RO) but RSS doesn't start with BBT. In the log I found much issues.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

This issue only appears with BBT. When I delete BBT RSS works perfectly.

10 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I tried to use BBT with RSS (without RO) but RSS doesn't start with BBT. In the log I found much issues.

This issue only appears with BBT. When I delete BBT RSS works perfectly.

Sorry, no clue.  In the absence of more solid evidence, I'd have to say I'm skeptical that this has anything directly to do with BetterBurnTime itself.  Rationale:

• The stack trace you provide is an error in Kopernicus, not with BetterBurnTime.  It's Kopernicus code that's hitting a NullReferenceException, which means that pretty much by definition it's a Kopernicus bug.  (It's possible it could be a subtle bug that doesn't show up unless certain conditions are met, such as the presence of other mods or something.)
  • I took a quick look at the Kopernicus function where the NRE is happening.  There's a lot going on in there, so I have no idea where the actual problem is... but certainly none of the stuff it's doing in there has anything to do with any of the parts of KSP that BBT touches, as far as I can tell.
  • You were a little vague about exactly what problem you're having... but from your use of the phrase "doesn't start", I'm guessing that the problem happens when KSP is starting up?  If that's the case, I'd say it definitely can't be BetterBurnTime; it runs all its scripts in the flight scene only, so it should never interfere with starting up KSP, since its code isn't even running then.  If this were a BBT issue, you'd expect to see problems while flying ships.
  • I know that BBT works okay with Kopernicus in general, though I've never run it with RSS.  I've played just fine with Outer Planets installed (which uses Kopernicus), also with New Horizons (ditto), and had no problems at all.

So, no clue what could be causing your issue, but I'm dubious that BetterBurnTime is the cause of it.  (The fact that it doesn't happen when BetterBurnTime is not installed is interesting, but not necessarily a "smoking gun"-- it could be that there's some other problem going on, like out-of-RAM or whatever, and BBT might just be an "innocent bystander" whose contribution to your problem is taking up just that extra bit of memory, or something.)

It would be interesting to hear whether anyone else has tried running BBT with RSS before, and whether they experienced the same problem you did.  (Though, given the popularity of RSS, I'd be surprised if you're the first BBT user to try it.  There are a lot of RSS users out there.  If there really were a BBT-RSS interop problem, I suspect I would have heard of it long before now, though of course there's a first time for everything.)

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help you with this.  Perhaps you might try posting your question in the technical support for modded installs forum?  Some info you should include:

• your system stats (e.g. how much RAM?)
  • which version of KSP you're running
  • the complete list of all mods you're running, with version numbers
  • an exact description of the problem you're encountering (i.e. what exactly happens, not just "doesn't start")

4 hours ago, Snark said:

I know that BBT works okay with Kopernicus in general, though I've never run it with RSS.  I've played just fine with Outer Planets installed (which uses Kopernicus), also with New Horizons (ditto), and had no problems at all.

Adding to this, I use Galileo's Planet Pack, which also requires Kopernicus, and BBT works just fine with that as well

I'm running RSS and BBT w/out RO.  KSP is stalling for me, too.  I get to the main menu but I see Kerbin in the background instead of Earth.  Any menu selection from there locks the program.  If I take out BBT everything is fine.

i7-4770K 3.5GHz 16 GM, 64 bit Windows 10.  Plenty of memory left.  All mods are fresh. RSSVE, Scatterer, Kopernicus, PlanetShine, TextureReplacer, KAS & KIS, Precise Maneuver, RCS BuildAid, SMURFF, DMagicOrbitalScience, ThroughTheEyes, TransferWindowPlanner, Wwwwwwww. No parts mods.

First forum submission but a long time reader.  Love all the work you and the modding community do.  Thanks for your help. It's a great mod I've gotten very used to using.

Edited by Timothius
Extra detail about problem

1 hour ago, Timothius said:

First forum submission but a long time reader.

Welcome to the forums!  :)

1 hour ago, Timothius said:

I'm running RSS and BBT w/out RO.  KSP is stalling for me, too.  I get to the main menu but I see Kerbin in the background instead of Earth.  Any menu selection from there locks the program.  If I take out BBT everything is fine.

Thanks, it's helpful to get confirmation-- e.g. this makes it more clear it's not something idiosyncratic about @Cheesecake's KSP installation.  Thanks also for the specific info about when/how the problem happens.

However, as I already discussed above, for a variety of reasons:  1. there's not really anything I can do to investigate (since the problem's not happening in my code), and 2. it seems likely to be a problem with some other mod that has a bug in it (likely Kopernicus).

I could be wrong, of course (it has been known to happen) :wink: ...but I'd need much more of a "smoking gun" (e.g. a BBT error message, with stack trace) to be able to confirm that this actually has anything to do with BBT at all.

In the meantime... it might help to approach the problem from the other direction.  It's clear that quite a few Kopernicus-based mods (OPM, New Horizons, Galileo's Planet Pack) do just fine with BBT; it's only RSS that seems to have any problems.  So, it would be an interesting data point to know... just what's different?  What does RSS do, that OPM, NH, and GPP don't?  For example, Cheescake's sample error message from the log was happening inside the Kopernicus code for dealing with a custom star, if my (admittedly cursory) glance at the code means what I think it does.  So, for example, might it be that RSS tinkers with the sun, but OPM / NH / GPP don't?  If that's the case, that would help narrow the problem down for whichever mod the problem is happening in.

Thanks for the welcome.  BTW - KSP 1.2.2 64 bit, Module Manager 2.7.5.  I pulled all mods except BBT, RSS and the needed RSS-Textures.  Without BBT loads great.  With BBT same fail point as described in my earlier post.  I went browsing through output_log.txt.  I don't know the first thing about it but just giving it a programmer's sniff:

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String modName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.CreateObjectFromConfigNode[Loader] (.ConfigNode node, System.String modName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Injector.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It's a total guess, but looks right (er, wrong, if you know what I mean).  This is about 4/5 of the way through the load after what looks like module manager starts doing stuff.  Hope it helps.

37 minutes ago, Timothius said:

at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode

^ This is starting to look like we may be getting somewhere... maybe.  Kopernicus recently did a fairly major refactor that moved a bunch of stuff into a separate "parser" module.  Any time you take a huge body of code and refactor it-- even if you're someone as skilled and careful as Thomas P., the proprietor of Kopernicus-- it's a high-risk endeavor and a fertile breeding ground for bugs.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that's snuck into a recent Kopernicus version.

Still no clue how on earth BBT could be involved, but it's worth pinging Thomas about it.  I'll post over in the Kopernicus thread.

...we'll see what develops.

On 3.1.2017 at 3:52 AM, Timothius said:

Thanks for the welcome.  BTW - KSP 1.2.2 64 bit, Module Manager 2.7.5.  I pulled all mods except BBT, RSS and the needed RSS-Textures.  Without BBT loads great.  With BBT same fail point as described in my earlier post.  I went browsing through output_log.txt.  I don't know the first thing about it but just giving it a programmer's sniff:

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[KeyValuePair`2] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String modName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.CreateObjectFromConfigNode[Loader] (.ConfigNode node, System.String modName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Injector.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It's a total guess, but looks right (er, wrong, if you know what I mean).  This is about 4/5 of the way through the load after what looks like module manager starts doing stuff.  Hope it helps.

Please post your Kopernicus logs (Logs/Kopernicus/) on the Kopernicus thread. Seems to me like an issue with the loading of the bodies itself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2017 at 7:15 PM, Snark said:

^ This is starting to look like we may be getting somewhere... maybe.  Kopernicus recently did a fairly major refactor that moved a bunch of stuff into a separate "parser" module.  Any time you take a huge body of code and refactor it-- even if you're someone as skilled and careful as Thomas P., the proprietor of Kopernicus-- it's a high-risk endeavor and a fertile breeding ground for bugs.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that's snuck into a recent Kopernicus version.

Still no clue how on earth BBT could be involved, but it's worth pinging Thomas about it.  I'll post over in the Kopernicus thread.

...we'll see what develops.

I don't know if it was Kopernicus or the Outer Planets mod but I was having stability problems, a few things made me suspect them and I dumped them--and the game has behaved much better since.

Anyway, I found what appears to be a bug--I'm not getting a suicide burn timer for a Kerbal, just a time to impact.  I have a rover on Minmus that needs a part, I stuck it, a screwdriver and some extra fuel in an engineer's backpack and kicked him out the airlock.  Impact timer but no burn indicator.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

What I wonder more... I start a 60 seconds estimated burn in my highly modded install, but only set the throttle to 50%.... it stays around 60s after the burn start. I had expected, it would show 120s cause I am only using the half throttle.
However, when I limit the engine to 50% it does go to 120s. Is this a mod conflict on my side or was it that way always?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.