Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

2 hours ago, something said:

Let's furthermore recall the thread title for the update before. It was "Chapter 19 pg 9: Qd8+". Now any reader will be familiar with chess at this point so look up the move "9 Qd8+" on the web. You will find one match: Reti vs Tartakower. That match ended with a white win after 11 Bd8#. So the basic question is who is white and who is black, right? Now, you would assume that the Kerbals where white, but they aren't - it is the Kerbulans. Otherwise they wouldn't announce "Check" on page 9, would they? From there on it is straight forward to the end. White wins in move 11. Now, watch closely how the Kerbulans manipulate the poll on page 11 - the final move. The rest is - once more - straight forward.

I have to admit, when I first saw the announcement of the Kerbulans winning on page 9, I was a bit confused and thought I misinterpreted something here but well, @Kuzzter@Kuzzter sticked so tightly to the eleven moves, this cannot be coincidence.@Kuzzter

Not going to disagree with the analysis on the date zones, I'd had the same thought.

As to the chess - that is a neat set of moves in that match.  But in this story, I figured that chess/cheks was something that would be kept to, but not rigidly so.  The rules of KSP/basic orbital mechanics may be strict, but there is a lot more loophole abuse there than in chess (especially when in webcomic form), which is more or less mathematically solved.  I kind of figured that the Kerbals would win by subverting the game or playing it differently.  Something like in "The Player of Games" by Iain M Banks, where the protagonist nearly loses playing 'The Game' (Azad) the way it's meant to be played, which is to say it does read like chess, with some sort of centralised power, and then beats it by playing like how the Culture exists (some sort of weird post scarcity anarchy communist utopia).

I certainly didn't figure Kuzzter would go full on "Red Wedding" on us, and end it there too. 

Of course it is his story to end how he likes, and so, if this is how it ends,

Thank you Kuzzter.

Edited by 1101
It's polite to say 'Thank You'.

1 hour ago, something said:

Maybe @Kuzzter will continue this in a few months time, but I'd bet against it. As I said, there's no hint supporting that point of view - at least in my opinion. Also, there already have been several announcements from @Kuzzter pointing out that he wished it was over... so yeah.

I can only hope that your analysis is wrong. I am enjoying each page of this comic and while there are excellent other stories in this forum, @Kuzzter's is unique in many ways.

Now, regardless of the question if this really was the end:

Thank you, Kuzzter!

and I really hope that you keep having a blast writing this comic as much as I do reading it

HAHAHA HOW DID I KNOW?!?!?

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

They... They're us!!!   :0.0:   :0.0:

The look on Val(s) face... too funny!!!  

They're like "Wait......... huh? I know I didn't just hear that...... Did I? No, surely not!...... But...... what if......."

16 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

HAHAHA HOW DID I KNOW?!?!?

They're like "Wait......... huh? I know I didn't just hear that...... Did I? No, surely not!...... But...... what if......."

Kinda off-topic... but this reminds me so much of one of my favorite Dr. Who scenes...

"WHAT????"

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

Hehe. Numths.

I'd totally forgotten that neither side actually knew that about the whole mirror-Kerb thing. It's such a big thing, that's so fundamental to what Kerbulans are, which makes the fact that they're totally oblivious to it until this moment hilarious. :D

22 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Kinda off-topic... but this reminds me so much of one of my favorite Dr. Who scenes...

"WHAT????"

Reveal hidden contents

Still off-topic, but I always liked how his reaction was almost the same when the Titanic crashed into the TARDIS. It just kinda became a thing :P

Edited by GluttonyReaper

It's great you guys love the comic so much that you'd want to intentionally make me dead if you didn't get your updates. Which...would not get you your updates.

37 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

So, when the Kerbulans hear Dilsby say "they're just like us," does that mean they'll think Our Heroes are hostile?

Well let's remember, they can't really understand non-hostile thoughts so well. Recall what Kenlie Kermulan "hears" when Kenlie Kerman is talking to Lisa about whether or not she should tell Val about the stories.

Come to think of it, I bet they'd get along GREAT with @KAL 9000!

On 3/31/2017 at 7:23 PM, Kuzzter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

jFcWoIL.png

Reveal hidden contents

DmXQNPc.png

Reveal hidden contents

5hP3e04.png

Well, yep, that's it. Sorry for the abrupt finish, but like Mister Blocko says, this has been going on for far too long. Honestly I haven't really enjoyed writing this comic for, well...I won't say exactly. But don't worry, you might not have ol' Kuzzter to kick around anymore, but there's lots of other great fan fiction on the Forum--and of course there's always the Kerbal Chronicles. :wink: 

So anyway, I don't know half of you as well as I should like, and I like half of you half as well as you deserve, yada yada, bye. :) 

Just curious, could you have done this with a straight face outside the forums?

1 minute ago, Drethon said:

Just curious, could you have done this with a straight face outside the forums?

Easily. I mulch you not, some days doing this comic are worser than others. But, I'm glad I didn't really stop. I think I'd have regretted it.

4 hours ago, obney kerman said:

too late...

They were never fired, just armed.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

It's great you guys love the comic so much that you'd want to intentionally make me dead if you didn't get your updates. Which...would not get you your updates.

Well let's remember, they can't really understand non-hostile thoughts so well. Recall what Kenlie Kermulan "hears" when Kenlie Kerman is talking to Lisa about whether or not she should tell Val about the stories.

Come to think of it, I bet they'd get along GREAT with @KAL 9000!

The point wasn't to "intentionally make you dead", it was more "tell us if this is a prank or not, or we fire". :mad:

The kerbulans would probably get along with me, I use BDA and NAS. (And my currently not working well KRAKEN MISSILES TM)

Edited by Brent Kerman

Well, a quick thought on the "alternate" p10-12, I wasn't in any doubt as to it being an april fools stunt, I remembered the "Valentina egg" incident so I knew that such a thing would probably happen again and due to the nature of the internet (international, sometimes days between updates) I've learned to be highly sceptical of anything that shows up in the days surrounding April the 1st (particularly afterward), particularly when it's kind of out of left field.

Also, in addition to the out of tone nature of the scene, I also noticed that the font was abnormally large, a hint?

Anyway, good to see the real version of this scene and is it me or does Valentina Kerbulan seem awfully talkative/friendly to the crew all of a sudden? A ruse or something more complicated? I guess time will tell.

Aku