Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, Railgunner2160 said:

Define "Survived" please. So far we have the NCC-1701-A that burned up reentering over Genesis, the NCC-1701-D which made an emergency landing after an emergency saucer separation & warp core failure. Also technically the Kelvin Timeline NCC-1701 in "Star Trek: Beyond" after it was torn to pieces....

Not really a confidence inspiring streak of incidents, the only thing that really survived was the crews rather then the starships....

...The saucer survived. I don't really care about the stardive.

9 minutes ago, rlin said:

...The saucer survived. I don't really care about the stardive.

Which was promptly dismantled by the crews on the 3 rescue ships to adhere to the prime directive due to the inhabitants of the planet that the moon they landed on orbited being pre-warp. Starfleet chopped up the saucer and carted it off. Can't really call it a win if the end result is it still wound up in a million pieces.....

Edited by Railgunner2160

2 minutes ago, Railgunner2160 said:

Which was promptly dismantled by the crews on the 3 rescue ships to adhere to the prime directive due to the inhabitants of the planet that the moon they landed on orbited being pre-warp. Starfleet chopped up the saucer and carted it off. Can't really call it a win if the end result is it still wound up in a million pieces.....

Deconstruction != destruction

Just now, Railgunner2160 said:

Which was promptly dismantled by the crews on the 3 rescue ships to adhere to the prime directive due to the inhabitants of the planet that the moon they landed on orbited being pre-warp. Starfleet chopped up the saucer and carted it off...

So they did. Apparently they did not want the tech going there.

I'm getting back on topic. No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If only Shirley had bailed! The terminal velocity of a Kerbal on Kerbin is low enough that they won't die 90% of the time (provided they hit water)!

The captain goes down with her ship.

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

The captain goes down with her ship.

And with some justification! As we've seen, the commanding officer's first responsibility in a crisis is to get the crew off safely. But once that's done, and the captin is the only one aboard, somebody's got to fly the darn thing--leaving a few hundred tons of burning metal to fall where it may isn't exactly the responsible thing to do.

I haven't yet published any General Orders pertaining to this, and I'm not sure I need to--perhaps it's simply a long-standing tradition of the Service. Also unstated in canon: whether the recurring theme of capital ships' escape boats being exactly one seat short is intentional or not  :)  

Some good stuff on this in the Real Life tab of the tvtropes "going down with the ship" article -- it's not all about honor and suicide, there are plenty of good practical reasons for a capt(a)in to remain aboard until the last possible moment, and maybe beyond.

39 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

Also unstated in canon: whether the recurring theme of capital ships' escape boats being exactly one seat short is intentional or not  :)

[...]

[T]here are plenty of good practical reasons for a capt(a)in to remain aboard until the last possible moment, and maybe beyond.

Perhaps enough captins either went down or swore they'd go down with the ship that the engineers removed the extra seat with the claim that it was parasitic mass.

On 9-4-2017 at 6:39 PM, The solid fuel chemist said:

as far as water impact resistance goes, i don't think the chair would have changed anything. the big question is if whether the enterprise crushed her on impact.

You're trying to apply RL physics and logic now, that will never work

Kerbal physics allow for part A to crash into part B with only part A exploding. That means survival is a question of the cabin crashing or being crashed into by something. With the bridge down, there could be good chances that the bridge actually survived...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 2:16 PM, Sanic said:

Well... time to catch up on... 19 chapters. :P

I'll wait :)

No, seriously, here's what's going on--this year has been, well, one of those "series of unfortunate events". Some of you know what I'm talking about, most of you don't, and I'm afraid we're going to have to keep it that way.  

But the main reason (other than me being really busy and/or not having the emotional bandwidth to create comics) there haven't been updates is that I lost the use of the computer where Kerbfleet is made. Worse than that, it happened to be a computer with certain...countermeasures built in against transferring large files. And it's not just the "Kerbfleet save" I had to transfer to another machine--it's all the saves (and there are several!) required to tell the story. And it's the mods... the ships... the flags and labels... the uniforms, Kerbulan beards... and worst of all, the raw powerpoint files, five pages at a time, hoping and praying that I didn't miss anything because there was no going back to the old machine after a certain date.

So, where are we now? Well, I'm pleased to report that after a lot of work we're here--right where we left off :)

Spoiler

iq1QDH6.png

...I did end up having to reconstruct a lot of stuff but it all seems to have worked. Ships are where they should be, kerbs are dressed properly and the action will continue. 

Wow well done Kuzzter! I am very impressed you managed to piece it all together again after all that. What you have done is the equivalent of moving a building stone by stone to a new location. Amazing work

32 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@Kuzzter just out of curiosity, under what circumstances would a computer have those countermeasures?

The sort I'd rather not discuss :) But before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I'll just say that having Kerbfleet on that computer is not the reason I no longer have that computer :wink: 

I'm glad to hear you're alive and well, Kuzzter. I was starting to get concerned about you. :)

Also, in case anyone is wondering- Kuzzter recreated an entire save, from almost scratch, just for a bunch of online strangers (and maybe his kids). That's dedication.

Edited by Dman979
Corrected info.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

...I did end up having to reconstruct a lot of stuff but it all seems to have worked. Ships are where they should be, kerbs are dressed properly and the action will continue. 

Hmm, Ship of Theseus. If the entire fleet, including ships, flags, and crew has been reconstructed and replaced to be exactly the same as it was before, is it the same fleet?

Hmm. Hmm! HMM!