Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

5 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Startled Scared Frightened Alarmed Terrified landings!

For my part, I'm interested in the fact that after all this time since Chapter One of Duna, Ore Bust!, we're finally getting close to the point where Starhawk's customary farewell runs to a second line.

Come on, @Kuzzter!  Pour on the suspense!

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

How many do you have now?

Still not many. 

Mods that make things look nice and help me take better pictures:

• EVE
  • Texture Replacer
  • Distant Object Enhancement
  • Kerbal Animation Suite
  • Camera Focus Changer

Mods that help me fly the missions:

• Kerbal Engineer
  • HyperEdit (for "simulations" and sound stages only)

Mods that add realism:

• USI-Life Support

Part mods:

• Already mentioned above--USI-Life support, Kerbal Engineer
  • USI Kontainers and Reactors 
  • Wild Blue Industries awesome plasma screens
  • Nebula decals 
  • Planetary Base Systems (habs, lab, and some other spaces on Intrepid)

I'm still committed to staying away from mods that make the mission easier. Looking at the list I think I've still managed to do so: my engines, fuel tanks and control systems are all stock. I guess one exception might be the USI fission reactors, but really I wouldn't even have those if I didn't need the extra power to run life support. 

The Intrepid flipping was very funny... and that well-known "bluurgh" :D Poor... what's her name again? Lisa, Liselle or Lisei? Sorry, I'm really bad at remembering names :blush:

What's also funny is the fact that I've been reading some Manga recently, Nausicaä to be precise, and the constant switch between right and left panel first is irritating me each time I'm reading...

Edited by ZentroCatson

9 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

The ship flipped through the upper atmosphere pretty much as you see it in the first page of this update: two full revolutions and out. The apoapsis had dropped right to where I wanted it--no damage either, woo hoo!

Poor Lisa... Is she the one that blurrggged??? :confused:

Let's make some more re-entry effects.

o959hXu.png

mRaiG6y.png

89fv5Go.png

What, you think I plan everything? Well, usually--but not this time :) 

As I alluded in the posts about mods, I really don't like using them to make the mission too easy. That includes Hyperedit, a.k.a. "Bill Space Program". Going back to the very first post of this thread, you can see we used BSP quite a bit to test craft for the Tylo landing. This is why the ship that actually landed on Tylo (the Qwammer) looks nothing like the one Jeb is flying to the opening strains of "Also Sprach Jebediah Zarathustra" 

But Laythe is different, right? It's just like Kerbin, except with less gravity and lower atmosphere. Heck, anything that works on Kerbin should work even better there! So we only did the live tests, with ships like the "Laythe X7", and once we had Skimmeroo we never looked back.

Since then, listening to comments from @Geschosskopf and others I began to understand that the air and water on Laythe is a bit different from Kerbin's--but by that time the plane was docked in the hangar bay and there was no going back. So I didn't bother to simulate a landing and takeoff then, either. What you're seeing in the panels above is the first time I've ever put any craft into Laythe's atmosphere, in any S.A.V.E. or any KSP version, ever.

So I guess we (and Bob) are all going to find out what happens together :D 

I must admit that I also assumed anything that works on Kerbin would work on Laythe.  I, too, would have figured the live tests on Kerbin were good enough.

Well, may the non-deterministic elements converge in your favour, then. :)

I think Jeb may be right though.  They're going to have a blast.

Happy Concerned Nervous Anxious Startled Scared Frightened Alarmed Terrified landings!

@Kuzzter the air shouldn't be a problem.  It's thinner but the lower gravity makes that a wash.  The real issue is the water is less floaty so planes sit rather lower in it even with the lower gravity .   This can make taking off difficult.  More drag so harder to get speed, and less control authority due to lower speed and thinner air so harder to yank the plane off tje water

Welcome to the Laythe Club. Not nearly as exclusive as the Eve Club, but still an accomplishment.

The different air on Laythe was one of the biggest reasons I sent that little jet probe down first. If it hadn't been able to fly, I probably would've left the Aluminium in orbit and flown it down remotely once the LDAV landed. 

As it is, the Laythe atmosphere curve makes things fun. Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Wait, who went to the pole?

Noted Earth astronaut and certified badS Buzz Aldrin--he had to be evacuated from the South Pole due to med emergency. The airbase that flies modded C-130s (skis) to Antarctica is pretty near where I work, I see them all the time on training flights. Buzz is recovering now in New Zealand.

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

Noted Earth astronaut and certified badS Buzz Aldrin--he had to be evacuated from the South Pole due to med emergency. The airbase that flies modded C-130s (skis) to Antarctica is pretty near where I work, I see them all the time on training flights. Buzz is recovering now in New Zealand.

Wait IRL or in KSP? And I think that a vacation in New Zealand is awesome.

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

WHY IN THE ACTUAL HECK WOULD SOMEONE ALLOW AN 86 YEAR OLD ASTRONAUT TO GO TO THE SOUTH POLE?!?!?

Because he can, and considering he's 86 years old, how many more years does he have to do this stuff?
I say if he's healthy enough (which he was at the time), go for it!

Edited by GDJ

Just now, GDJ said:

Because he can, and considering he's 86 years old, how many more years does he have to do this stuff?
I say if he's healthy enough (which I'm pretty sure he is), go for it!

But that's like walking the president to some country in the middle east; It's basically a death trap!

Buzz is a very strong advocate for colonizing Mars, and Antarctica is as close to Mars as we can get at the moment. I get the feeling he's the kind of guy that says "I wanna do it!" there's very little to do but let him.

50 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

What is it about 'badS' you don't understand, exactly? :D 

Between Aldrin, Glenn, and Yeager you have the three most badS navigators in US history.

Edited by monstah
Removed political content