Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

Just now, Trios said:

That is tough to watch...but I can't look away!

At least now you know why I didn't want to spend another 300 hours trying to get it into space without cheating. :/ 

20 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

At least now you know why I didn't want to spend another 300 hours trying to get it into space without cheating. :/ 

Don't worry about that now! We're all absorbed in the story at this point :).

I found Kerbin's and Kerbulus' weird little brother.

gKIojVa.png

It's called Kassini, and it's inhabited by the Kassinans. They're just plain old weirdos. They worship the color bread. They have orange/blue morality. They drink literal hydrazine. Their space program insists upon sending its ships in orbits that are 90 degrees inclined to the other planets, just because they see Kerbin and Kerbulus doing it. (With their continents) They walk backwards sometimes because they think it makes them cool. They 'randomly' scream out curse words in reverse latin. They have up to fifty arms depending on their social status. Their music entirely consists of We Are Number One But remixes. They launch their space program from a savanna.

It's hidden in a pocket of hammerspace at the Kerbin-Sun L3 point, which the Kassinians put there themselves on a dare.

(Just because I built Kerbulus doesn't mean this is canon, don't take it as such unless you're Kuzzter and have some use for it somehow, in which case PM me but I really don't expect that to happen)

Edited by GregroxMun

I love it how smoothly the Enterprise crew works together. You can tell they've been working together for a long time, and the admiral is surely the bravest and most confident command officer we have seen up until now. Let's hope the Enterprise isn't completely crippled by the loss of a nacelle. I'm confident they'll be able to hold her together - it looks to me like the Enterprise has the strongest armour of any vessel we've seen thus far.

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

I love it how smoothly the Enterprise crew works together. You can tell they've been working together for a long time, and the admiral is surely the bravest and most confident command officer we have seen up until now. Let's hope the Enterprise isn't completely crippled by the loss of a nacelle. I'm confident they'll be able to hold her together - it looks to me like the Enterprise has the strongest armour of any vessel we've seen thus far.

but there was quite a lot of fuel in that nacelle. unless they plan on staying in kerbin's SOI, they may not be able to make it to wherever they're going.

7 minutes ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

but there was quite a lot of fuel in that nacelle. unless they plan on staying in kerbin's SOI, they may not be able to make it to wherever they're going.

They can always do repairs (HyperEdit up a new nacelle and KAS it on)

Edited by KAL 9000

There could be multiple scenarios for this to happen.

1: The crew could do, as @KAL 9000 said,

16 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

They can always do repairs (HyperEdit up a new nacelle and KAS it on)

2: The crew gets ferried off the ship, taken back to the surface, and then gets on the Enterprise II (™) which can go wherever.

3: A time-lapse where repair crews went to the ship and KAS'd the thing back together

4: The loss of a nacelle isn't a big issue and they can still go wherever

or 5: The crew's stranded and forced to stay on the ship forevah muahahahahahaha!!!

11 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

The crew's stranded and forced to stay on the ship forevah muahahahahahaha!!!

Naaah... They can deorbit with their EVA jetpacks. They'll be fine as long as they land on their heads. 

Or, you know, do it the boring way and install the EVA Parachutes mod.

Edited by KAL 9000

13 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There could be multiple scenarios for this to happen.

1: The crew could do, as @KAL 9000 said,

2: The crew gets ferried off the ship, taken back to the surface, and then gets on the Enterprise II (™) which can go wherever.

3: A time-lapse where repair crews went to the ship and KAS'd the thing back together

4: The loss of a nacelle isn't a big issue and they can still go wherever

or 5: The crew's stranded and forced to stay on the ship forevah muahahahahahaha!!!

I'm still holding out for:

6: Everybody dies, the end.

5 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

They'll be fried though!

EVA suits have ridiculously high heat tolerance.

ETA: This has been confirmed with tests on live Kerbals by Danny2462 Space Industries (partnered with Leyland-Wutani!)

Edited by KAL 9000

Hey, glad to see everyone so engaged and thanks to the very observant @Deddly for fielding some questions! I'm just very, very busy right now but should be able to get back to work on the comic day after tomorrow, with pages appearing in due course after that. As always, your patience and (topical) posts are appreciated muchly!

The thing that I would like to know, and which I am surprised fewer people are asking, is just how @Kuzzter was planning on getting the Enterprise back down after the big battle given it survives intact.  The Gliidos can land; we've seen that (even with crazy sci-fi theatrics courtesy of Kenlie and a bad action group).  The regulations say that flag officers get a space-worthy ship--so far, no one has said anything about a reentry-worthy or landing-worthy ship.

The crew and Admiral Shirley aren't stupid, and even though evacuations are possible, it would appear that the Enterprise itself was never going to be able to go back to Kerbin in one piece (hence the Admiral having a space-worthy vessel that until now never actually went to space), which opens the way both for the crew's willingness to use the Enterprise as a sort of meat shield (though less meat and more actual metal shield), and to set up a curious inversion of the trope in which the Admiral gloriously goes up with her ship.

2 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

The thing that I would like to know, and which I am surprised fewer people are asking, is just how @Kuzzter was planning on getting the Enterprise back down after the big battle given it survives intact.

4 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Interesting point, @Zhetaan. I had assumed that Enterprise would be capable of a sea landing, but that remains to be seen.

Hmmmm... this is a good question, and not easily answered. Even Star Trek canon gets a little... fuzzy... on the subject of landing the Enterprise. I don't think she was supposed to be able to land originally, and most often appeared like she would burn up in any decent atmosphere. But later down the road, especially in the "Into Darkness" movie, not only was she landed, she was hiding underwater... and took off again into orbit like it was no problem.

I'm thinking this is another one of those "Whatever @Kuzzter decides to do" kind of situations... :wink: