Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

2 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

There's.... I mean I knew about Dils (obvs), but.... there's almost an army of kerbal sock puppets on Twitter. I almost fell down a tvtropes like rabbit hole there for a minute. 

Yeah it's the second most interesting thing on twitter for me right now... and Forum rules prevent me from identifying the first :)

Hm, I wonder (1) if it's Badie who manages Val's tweets, and (2) if she has any idea who the heck Dilsby is, and why he can't spell "Captain". 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

awww....

hahaha That's awesome!

(Side note: Valentines Day is (supposedly) about a 680AD French priest (Named Valentine (duh)) who defied the kings orders to stop marrying people. When he was supposed to be executed, he married the jailers daughter, and in a note he said "From: Your Valentine," and that's what most people think is the worlds most original valentine. This has been: Trivia in an Owl. Thanks for watching!)

Newton's laws strike again! Nothing like pushing away from each other to leave a giant hole for missiles to pass through. :cool:

Also, it looks like just about everybody except for Kenlie, Bill, and Jeb are in the Intrepid.

ETA: Shouldn't that be an *Un-click!* instead of a *Click*?

Edited by Dman979

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Newton's laws strike again! Nothing like pushing away from each other to leave a giant hole for missiles to pass through. :cool:

:cool: Indeed. And since the relevant pages happened a while ago I'll give you a little recap. Captin Val has an advantage here that Admiral Shirley does not. She's had a few hours to read all of Kenlie's stories about the Kerbulans (which he never mentions by name, hence "Murderdeth").

Careful readers know that the Qwammer is normally docked in Q-bay with the engines facing "down", so that its engines can be grouped with Intrepid's ventrals for a surface landing. Unbeknownst to the readers (or the Murderdeth), at some point between intercept maneuvers I undocked Qwammer, rotated it 180 degrees, and re-docked it to the aft port. The effect you see is legit: I started all 8 aerospikes with Qwammer still in the bay, then clicked "undock". Yes, it was awesome :D and yes the missiles are 'shopped in, I can only work a couple miracles at once you know

Also, it looks like just about everybody except for Kenlie, Bill, and Jeb are in the Intrepid.

Correct. Both Kenlies are somewhere in frame in the last panel of page 19. Bill and Jeb Kerman are in the Qwammer. The rest of the Intrepid crew is at their action stations, and the action is just starting.

And if you're wondering what the heck Bill is doing riding along in the Qwammer, you're wondering the right thing :wink: 

Edited by Kuzzter
why do I always say "dorsal" when I mean "ventral"?

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The hardest part of playing chicken is knowing when to flinch. :)

Physics rules! :)

Funny you chose a Clancy video. I was also thinking of a Clancy scene from Red Storm Rising, where the helicopters and ships split apart.

...and by the way, recognizing that I am working at a slower rate than usual, and that there are lots of really insightful comments in between pages, I've put a link to the in-progress Chapter 18 on the OP for anyone who wants to read it all together. I'll add pages to the album as I post them.

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

To be fair, if you average out the locations of the vessels, it's a direct hit.

This has been my philosophy in First Person Shooters.  Whenever two enemies show up, I take the average, and aim between them.  So, statistically, I'm winning.

I don't think it works like that...

Wow, it looks like Val Kerbulan and the Despair Gang have their work cut out for them, while there's still the problem of the Kerbin raid, this problem looks like it's in good hands. I don't know how this is going to end but I've got a feeling that stunts like this have a distinct possibility of happening again.

Also, @Angel-125, that scene goes perfectly with this, particularly Bob's "Val!" line (not trying to derail thread, commenting on the tone of the scene).

Aku

57 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

BTW, can somebody remind me if the kerbulan vessels have to be unbloaked to fire missiles?  And if so, why?

Ah, I was wondering when someone would wonder that :) Generally, Kerbulan ships must unbloak to fire. Why? Great question. I'd like to think it has something to do with how a bloaked ship exists (or doesn't) in real space. Of course there is at least one ship out there that somehow can fire when bloaked. He wouldn't be much of a Ghost if he couldn't, right?

"never have", believable
"Never will", hmm ... Considering Kerbulan society and its unstable nature, I'm not sure that a line like that is a good idea when you're facing what may as well be the equals of everyone in the fleet, only they don't have to keep an eye on each other and a weapon on hand at all times (albeit they, as the only armed ships have some semblance of an advantage).
Not to say that he will miss, just that a line like that is risky remark to make.
Awaiting the outcome

Aku

P.S. I was writing this when Kuzzter's latest post came through and to that, I wonder if, seeing how tradition bound (most of) the Kerbulans are, perhaps it's partly a more ritual thing as well, as I could easily see some Kerbulans thinking of firing while bloaked as "cowardly". If I understand them correctly, that's probably a high grade insult to them.

Edited by AkuAerospace
Another thing to say

10 minutes ago, AkuAerospace said:

"never have", believable
"Never will", hmm ... [snip]
Not to say that he will miss, just that a line like that is risky remark to make.

Yeah, it is a pretty outlandish claim. Having fired off a lot of Kerbulan missiles myself, I can tell you that the only way to be absolutely sure of a hit...is to cheat. :wink: