Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 14--Under New Management

Mister Dilsby

Just now, Torgo said:

And what kind of impact is that going to have on the not-so-evil Kenlie? Is experiencing the death of his counterpart going to drive him into some deep space madness, or will it free him to lead a 'normal' life?

And, more short-term, what does this mean for the Kerbulan's intel services?

3 hours ago, rlin said:

Wait... then why did the cockpit survive?

And what just happened? Did the monolith lock persistence.sfs?

And what about that Kracken? Gregmor- I mean the Ghost?

The cockpit has the Rockomaximus flag, so it must be the one they used for the fake contract. I agree it's not completely clear in the comic, but that cockpit survived whilst Evil Kenlie's ship appears to be destroyed, along with Evil Kenlie, since Kenlie can throw away the agonizer. It was quite funny that Jeb called out "Neelik", because that's also the name attached to that fake contract :).

The monolith did indeed lock the persistence file, which has apparently delayed the hatching of the Kracken egg.

The Ghost is orbiting and bombarding Kerbin, which is a long way away from this event :).

2 hours ago, Torgo said:

And what kind of impact is that going to have on the not-so-evil Kenlie? Is experiencing the death of his counterpart going to drive him into some deep space madness, or will it free him to lead a 'normal' life?

A long, prosperous and fruitful life. Of course, fruit always goes down well when served with....

...cheese.

5 hours ago, Torgo said:

Is experiencing the death of his counterpart going to drive him into some deep space madness, or will it free him to lead a 'normal' life?

He'll probably feel the same as me when I finally finish this ?!!@#$ story. I'll let you know :) 

3 hours ago, Deddly said:

The cockpit has the Rockomaximus flag, so it must be the one they used for the fake contract. I agree it's not completely clear in the comic, but that cockpit survived whilst Evil Kenlie's ship appears to be destroyed, along with Evil Kenlie, since Kenlie can throw away the agonizer. [snip]

All correct! This sequence was a tough "cinematography" challenge, placing all the ships in such a way as to clearly show the sequence of events without a lot of extraneous text markers that would slow down the action. I tried to use the distinctively-shaped Qwammer as a visual reference point; I believe this was mostly successful :)

13 hours ago, Deddly said:

The monolith did indeed lock the persistence file, which has apparently delayed the hatching of the Kracken egg.

The Ghost is orbiting and bombarding Kerbin, which is a long way away from this event :).

Is it just me, or did the monolith react more or less immediately, as opposed to with light lag like everything else?

Kuzzter has been pretty consistent about time stamps elsewhere, but not with the monolith/locked persistence file.  Or is it just because it's a picture of the KSC monolith, as opposed to say, one on Tylo?

2 minutes ago, 1101 said:

Is it just me, or did the monolith react more or less immediately, as opposed to with light lag like everything else?

Hm...I hadn't thought about it, but it makes perfect sense! Yes, the Monolith can indeed receive information and act on it faster than speed of light would normally allow. Why? Because, just like us human players, it doesn't have any single location within the game-it exists everywhere at once, and nowhere. This was established in the epic Plan Kappa Crossoverlude (see OP for link)--the Monoliths in any S.A.V.E. are in fact a single entity that controls the parameters of the observable universe (i.e. the game itself), with interfaces (terminals, if you will) manifesting simultaneously in various locations as a shiny black object with a picture of a monkey in a combat helmet. Since they are everywhere, the distance to any object in the game is zero, and information thus reaches it instantly--similarly, we human players can traverse arbitrarily large distances in the game as quickly as we can get in and out of map view. Q.E.D. :D 

Now, can what Bill does (when the file isn't locked) also happen faster than light? Perhaps--though to my knowledge no persistomancer in these pages has ever even attempted to affect anything far enough away for light lag, if present, to be noticeable.

DONGUN NOOOOOOOO!

That's actually really sad, he was one of my favourites and he dongun got chewed :(.

Absolutely great in the story, though. Make the reader crave vengeance! Also, what's with all the interference in Gene's comms?

Aw, poor Gregmore...

I'm willing to bet he's going to save the day, since even the Kermulans have (presumably) forgotten that he's there, allowing him to act without interference. Plus, he's had his hero moment coming after being ignored for so long.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I'm willing to bet he's going to save the day, since even the Kermulans have (presumably) forgotten that he's there, allowing him to act without interference. Plus, he's had his hero moment coming after being ignored for so long.

Well it has to be Gene who saves the day, there aren't any other surviving ships out there! ;).

Gregbob? Uh... I mean, Gregmore? Who's Gregmore?

Spoiler

Anyway, since everybody doesn't acknowledge his existence, he might unknowingly turn the tables on Evil Gregmor- I mean the Ghost.

They have nothing to lose! They should be willing to sacrifice their lives to defeat the Ghost!

I heard "ramming speed" works well.

EDIT: Also, how is Shir- I mean, the Admiral not wearing a helmet in space? It doesn't really make sense, though I know it was hacked to prevent the helmets from showing at the Intrepid's bridge.

Edited by rlin

1 hour ago, rlin said:

EDIT: Also, how is Shir- I mean, the Admiral not wearing a helmet in space? 

She's not in space, she's on a pressurized bridge just like the Intrepid crew. You just can't see the windows because they're made of transparent aluminum :) 

Why, Why do you do this!? You started with mimicking StarTrek and now with Starwars, will you ever respect copyrights.

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

1 hour ago, Alpha 360 said:

Why, Why do you do this!? You started with mimicking StarTrek and now with Starwars, will you ever respect copyrights.

Not sure if this is a serious comment but parody (which Kerbfleet pretty clearly is), is generally regarded as an example of fair use under US copyright law and fair dealing for the purposes of parody is an exception to infringement under UK copyright law. Without looking them all up, I can't speak to any equivalent exceptions in the copyright laws of other countries.

So, in this armchair lawyer's opinion,  @Kuzzter's in the clear at least so far as copyrights are concerned. Moral rights may be a different matter but that's for the author of the original works to decide.