Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

All good things must, I'm afraid.

Do I spy a sneaky TNG reference? With the Kraken replacing Q?

Or maybe a 2001-esque conclusion? With the first pages of the story as a clue...

On 11/23/2015 at 10:58 PM, FlyingPete said:

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT TYLO (LAYTHE)
ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE
USE THEM TOGETHER
USE THEM IN PEACE

With the introduction of the Kerbulans, I wonder if I got the ending right? :wink:

csr0hhW.png

s6jbOJT.png

Yep, several of you called it--and I suspected from what I'd read that this might happen--but, like Bill, I decided it was already too late to change out the craft and so here we are. Let's see how our resourceful crew gets out of this one!

Oh, and before you offer me gampelay advice--IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED! Speculation is fine though. :D 

I speculate that it will still be able to take off. Those rapiers have an incredible amount of thrust for a ship that size, and Tedus might be able force a dive underwater and pop back up like a cork, switching modes on the engines at just the right time.

If it's stranded, well... there's always the Qwammer, right?

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

That's a good point. The Quammer was able to take off from Tylo, so it should have the DV for Laythe. But what about aerodynamic stability?

Also, on Tylo it was ISRU. It obviously can't do that in the ocean. Is there a high enough ore concentration nearby for it to ISRU? And are Kuzzter's piloting skills good enough to hit a target that small? No disrespect, but the last time he had to land nearby a stranded ship, he was off by 75.5 km.

Should we start making distance guesses now, @Kuzzter? Or am I being too pessimistic?

4 hours ago, Deddly said:

I speculate that it will still be able to take off. Those rapiers have an incredible amount of thrust for a ship that size, and Tedus might be able force a dive underwater and pop back up like a cork, switching modes on the engines at just the right time.

Hmm - "She wants to flip if I pull up too hard..."

Sounds like Skimmeroo is a bit nose-light then, which would make sense (I think) if most of the fuel is at the back and she's not getting as much lift as expected from the main wings, so those canards are having a disproportionate effect.

Soooo.

I reckon Tedus will rev the reaction wheels up to ludicrous speed, pitch hard up to get her nose out of the water, firewall the throttles and brute force himself and Bob out of the drink.

14 minutes ago, KSK said:

Hmm - "She wants to flip if I pull up too hard..."

Sounds like Skimmeroo is a bit nose-light then, which would make sense (I think) if most of the fuel is at the back and she's not getting as much lift as expected from the main wings, so those canards are having a disproportionate effect.

Soooo.

I reckon Tedus will rev the reaction wheels up to ludicrous speed, pitch hard up to get her nose out of the water, firewall the throttles and brute force himself and Bob out of the drink.

And Bob's lunch will remain behind on Laythe?

Just now, Drethon said:

And Bob's lunch will remain behind on Laythe?

Pretty much. :) Or at the back of the cockpit anyway. Recommend that Tedus goes easy on the descents for a while - pointing sharp nose down might be messy...

9 hours ago, Deddly said:

Well, right before the Tylo landing Val did mention that sending down the Qwammer is the plan if anything happens to Skimmeroo on Laythe...

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

And are Kuzzter's piloting skills good enough to hit a target that small? No disrespect, but the last time he had to land nearby a stranded ship, he was off by 75.5 km.

Well, yeah, there's that. :( But if it did manage to hit land, I think it would have little problem making orbit again. There is a LOT of dV in those tanks.

5 hours ago, KSK said:

Exactly. It launched full and Tedus dead-sticked it into the water, so I don't have the ability to transfer fuel forward. But of course, having too much fuel is a problem that's easy to solve :) 

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I say that they could just turn around, fire the engines up to a VERRY small speed (I mean like 1% throttle) and just coast back to land and takeoff from that

Possibly. My intention was actually to come in a bit west of that land mass, glide in and land just shy of the beach--but as @Dman979 so helpfully pointed out, I am not quite that precise with my atmospheric entries :) I do need to get to a land mass at some point, if for no other reason than to plant a flag and yell "For Science!" But, we'll see :) 

And next update, we'll have another fun Laythe water effect that could have been avoided if I'd Bill had just tested the darn thing!

Edited by Kuzzter

On 12/3/2016 at 7:17 AM, Kuzzter said:

Ok regarding Laythe's air and oceans, thanks all for the advice! You should know that we have now reached the point in gameplay Tedus and Bob are beyond the point where advice would help them. Speculation is, of course, always welcome :) 

Am building some more craft now for the Thrilling Conclusion to our tale--I think you'll be, well, thrilled. :wink: 

Sounds like fun! :)

Edited by Angel-125

About that major threat:

We still don't know who has been helping the Kerbulans. According to Werhner, they are not intelligent enough to reach space without outside help.

Edit: See the second page here, bottom-right corner

Edited by Deddly

1 minute ago, something said:

We haven't seen any anti-Wernherr, nor do we know about his existence. 

If you examine the first page in the quote Deddly provided, you will see an explanation of what happened to the original Wernher von Kerman. :) 

1 minute ago, Deddly said:

He was killed in a freak Studel-cooking accident.

Exactly :) 

11 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Well, Kuzzter still has his best pilot available to pick them up: Jeb!

5 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I say that they could just turn around, fire the engines up to a VERRY small speed (I mean like 1% throttle) and just coast back to land and takeoff from that

With all the drag from the water, that would probably cost too much fuel to be able to make it to orbit again.

What I would probably do in this situation:

• Navigate the Skimmeroo to the coast
  • Land the Qwammer on the landmass nearby and start IRSU
  • Transfer fuel via the Claw

Though that's easier said than done, plus I don't know if it's still possible to pump fuel through the Claw in 1.1.3. It used to be possible in 1.0.5, but I rarely ever use the Claw for anything but rescuing stranded Kerbals.

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And next update, we'll have another fun Laythe water effect that could have been avoided if I'd Bill had just tested the darn thing!

Don't tell me you had Tedus and Bob paint the craft yellow and rename it to Skimmarine! :D