Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 15--Did you see that?

Mister Dilsby

15 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah... I was thinking the same thing... when the DM sounds surprised... run!!!  :0.0:

And keep your fingers crossed that a) our good author isn't running some version of Rolemaster behind the scenes and b) hasn't just rolled a 66 crit against poor Gene...

Spoiler

For those that haven't played that particular tabletop game, rolling 66 on any critical hit was a) invariably fatal and b) fatal in a gruesomely hilarious way.

2 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I'm sure that a Mr. R.R. Martin has many ideas for future books, but I don't think that will stop him from doing whatever he needs to make his current one good.

Yes, but it's not like such a dramatic shift is even in scope for George "Red Wedding" Martin.  Some semblance of Protagonist Survival is seen, even in ASoIaF.

It would be like having J.K Rowling rewrite HP5 and call it "Voldemort and the Sudden Application of Competence".

On topic, that missile is drawn on a very narrow miss trajectory...

3 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

The simple fact you have an outline for a book after this one suggests they won't all get killed. #Logic :sticktongue:

Maybe the title of the next book is "Puny solar system gets crushed under the mighty hand of Valentina Kerbulan (who inadvertently also completes the Jool 5 challenge)"

4 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Not necessarily... 

Indeed. No survivors required if the tentatively-planned-and-by-no-means-guaranteed next book was Kerbfleet : The Prequel.

*Gene gets destroyed*

Ooh no! We're doomed! All hope is lost!

*Legit forgot his name already again to the rescue*

Woooo!! Hope is back! We'll win for sure!

2 minutes ago, spacebrick3 said:

The question is, does...whoever that was...have a Kerbulan counterpart, who they have all forgotten as well?

So much for hope, we're in trouble again...

9 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I think their nickname was phantom, or wraith or something.

Gregmore "The Ghost" Kermulan is the very Kerbulan who shot down the rest of Glide Squadron and wrecked half of KSC. His evil version of the forgettability superpower is, apparently, the ability to spam missiles while bloaked.

Gee I miss @Starhawk, I could always count on him to explain stuff like that :) 

3 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Whoever it is, he's on a thread that's been viewed over 600,000 times! Woo hoo!

Congrats!!!!  :cool:

And go whoever-you-are... I mean Gregmore!!!  lmao!!!  :sticktongue:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Also: What kind of weapons does Kerbfleet have? When they say "going in," does that just mean ram the enemy ship, or...?

Kerbfleet of course has no "weapons". They certainly operate some objects that a more murdery species (such as ours, or the Kerbulans) could use as weapons--hammers, cake knives, guided rockets packed with explosives, etc. But WYSIWYG on Gregmore's Gliido; there's no secret bay of explosive drones that Kerbfleet "forgot" about until just in time for the denouement.

So, what will Gregmore do if and when he finds the Ghost? Ramming is of course an option that comes to mind, but would he do that knowing he might hurt or kill someone? It's the same moral argument a Kerbal would have to make if he had the option of crashing an unkerbed drone into a crewed ship. In human history we've seen plenty of non-violent activists willing to die for their cause, or even commit suicide as a form of protest--but none of those sought to take anyone else with them.