[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

19 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I recently returned from holiday, yes, but as Galileo has stated there is an issue with Scatterer at the moment that affects systems with multiple bodies that have rings... this certainly affects OPM as we have Sarnus and Urlum that both have ring systems.

Blackrack is aware of the issue and we will just have to wait patiently until a fix is found, solved and implemented into a new Scatterer release. Sorry guys, please be patient.

Dependencies! :/ Sometimes they drive you mad but where would we be without them; nowhere, that's where.

Thanks for the info! Like I said, I was just trying to get an idea of where we were at in the process, and what I should be looking forward to.

Apologies if this has been asked ad nauseam, but I can't seem to make this current version work with SVE. Tekto appears as it does in vanilla, whereas all the other atmospheric bodies are improved (Laythe, Kerbin, Eve etc). Looking at it through the actual mission map (rather than Tracking Station).

On 2/14/2017 at 0:31 PM, Diddly Feelerino said:

Apologies if this has been asked ad nauseam, but I can't seem to make this current version work with SVE. Tekto appears as it does in vanilla, whereas all the other atmospheric bodies are improved (Laythe, Kerbin, Eve etc). Looking at it through the actual mission map (rather than Tracking Station).

I think theres a different cloud mod over at Spacedock Dunno if it works with SVE or not.

-Edit- its here https://spacedock.info/mod/1219/Logan's OPM Cloud mod V1.0

Edited by Starslinger999

On 2/19/2017 at 4:49 PM, Starslinger999 said:

I think theres a different cloud mod over at Spacedock Dunno if it works with SVE or not.

-Edit- its here https://spacedock.info/mod/1219/Logan's OPM Cloud mod V1.0

It's likely because the clouds info has to overwrite each other -- I think there was some efforts at making the clouds config be more modular so that different mods could contribute and not overwrite the whole thing.

This mod was completely compatible with the EVE configs, KSPRC and SVE during 1.1.3, much effort was made to ensure compatibility. When it updates for 1.2.2 and onwards, compatibility with the other main visual mods will be an ongoing priority.

On an update note, sorry, but the Scatterer ring issue still persists so no news on that front.

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

This mod was completely compatible with the EVE configs, KSPRC and SVE during 1.1.3, much effort was made to ensure compatibility. When it updates for 1.2.2 and onwards, compatibility with the other main visual mods will be an ongoing priority.

On an update note, sorry, but the Scatterer ring issue still persists so no news on that front.

Thanks for the update!

Just for clarification: Is this ring issue on blackrack's radar? Or is this more of a Scatterer, OPM and EVE in combination issue?

On 2/23/2017 at 0:32 PM, Poodmund said:

Not trying to bug ya but ive been away from ksp for awhile.   I just came back recently and got sve and all the fun mods up and working and noticed the lack of clouds in opm... So i started form diving today for them...  Any chance that you need test dumies to test an updated patch for ur overhaul?       I miss the pretty effects so if you need any help ill do what i can

@Starslinger999. If you are using OpenGL/Linux (and MacOS?) then it is a well known bug/issue with no known permanent fix. However for some people a temporary fix is to go into the in-game settings change your texture quality level and change it straight back again.

1. ESC key
  2. Settings
  3. Video & Graphics
  4. Texture Quality: change to Quarter Res (for example)
  5. Apply
  6. Texture Quality: change back to your normal Res
  7. Accept

You might be good now until the next time you start the game.

Edited by Kaa253

9 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

@Starslinger999. If you are using OpenGL/Linux (and MacOS?) then it is a well known bug/issue with no known permanent fix. However for some people a temporary fix is to go into the in-game settings change your texture quality level and change it straight back again.

1. ESC key
  2. Settings
  3. Video & Graphics
  4. Texture Quality: change to Quarter Res (for example)
  5. Apply
  6. Texture Quality: change back to your normal Res
  7. Accept

You might be good now until the next time you start the game.

Thanks m8!

4 minutes ago, Acetylcholine said:

snip

Nothing has changed from the time that this reply was written. Kopernicus and scatterer are still broken more or less. All visual packs are at a stand still until these issues are taken care of. 

*All visual mods for systems that contains multiple bodies with rings.

I am currently working on other projects at the moment but if it seems there is to be no progress made on this issue I may have to bite the bullet and only implement the ring features for Sarnus and not Urlum whilst also retroactively disabling rings on Jool if present, which is far from ideal... but thats the way it goes, eh?

Would it be possible to just have a set of MM patches to selectively enable the rings around whatever body you're operating around? I'm guessing most folks aren't running missions around multiple outer system bodies simultaneously.

Unfortunately no as the configs are initiated and cached upon Game Load and the cache is not changed during gameplay unless a reload is manually invoked through the debug menu... even then MM does not have a technique that would allow KSP to be able realise which ring config to load upon an in-game event situation.

Well, yeah, but that's exactly my point. How many people are swapping between missions around Jool and Sarnus in the same game session? Couldn't we just have it set up so that, by default, none of the rings are enabled, but there are a set of MM patches to enable the rings around each planet as the player wants. So if, for example, in this play session I'm going to Sarnus, before I start the game up I drag the sarnus_rings.cfg file into GameData, and voila, I have rings around Sarnus. Next time I'm going to Jool, so I drag sarnus_rings.cfg out and drag jool_rings.cfg in. It's not elegant or permanent, but it could get everyone up and running until things get sorted out.

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I am currently working on other projects at the moment but if it seems there is to be no progress made on this issue I may have to bite the bullet and only implement the ring features for Sarnus and not Urlum whilst also retroactively disabling rings on Jool if present, which is far from ideal... but thats the way it goes, eh?

I guess you can forgot about Jool or Urlum rings, they're beautiful but not completely realistic and/or interesting and majestic as the Sarnus rings.

I'm in favor of a release that for now just leaves it up to the user to install prior to loading the game whatever ring config they want to use. But I'm swapping visuals around all the time so I'm used to restarting the game often :P

On 11.3.2017 at 10:56 AM, Drew Kerman said:

I'm in favor of a release that for now just leaves it up to the user to install prior to loading the game whatever ring config they want to use. But I'm swapping visuals around all the time so I'm used to restarting the game often :P

Same here! I am just hoping that this mod will not die. :(, because OPM does not feel the same without it. 
Right now it seems that OPM visual overhaul is the sort of "Cherry on top" that will make the rest of the game 
feel complete :). 

7 hours ago, Joonatanr said:

I am just hoping that this mod will not die. :(, because OPM does not feel the same without it. 

I second that! My kerbals are starting to get curious about the outer solar system, I don't want to send them there until they can see the real beauty of the OPM planets :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, Poodmund said:

Sacrificing rings on two bodies for clouds and proper atmospheres on others seems like a fair trade I think.

I have rings and ring shadows on Jool from SVE using the 3 added cfg lines. I still have rings on OPM but no ring shadows. For fun I added the cfg lines to Kronkus - because its cfg is smaller and easier to know where to add the lines. The result is shadows on Jool and Kronkus rings but  the Kronkus rings become a narrow solid ring. Not sure if this is what is going on but it looks like all the empty space is gone and causing the narrowing. Is this what others see?