Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

Is it possible to apply the rescaling to all planets except ones in the stock solar system? I have a planet pack that is made for RSS, and I want to make it compatible with stock, but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of manually editing each and every config so that they are scaled to Kerbal-size.

On 23.12.2016 at 11:42 PM, Norcalplanner said:

Mechjeb has readouts for both gravity losses and aero losses, which I used in my "A degree makes a difference" posts, which can help optimize a craft's ascent profile.

Your numbers seem right on to me. I find that a good rule of thumb is to add 2,000 m/s to each launch requirement as you increase through the common rescale sizes. Thus stock is 3,500 m/s, 3.2x is 5,500 m/s, 6.4x is 7,500 m/s, and 10x is 9,500 m/s. Although it's possible to get to orbit using less delta V, you'll rarely go wrong with these numbers as a general guideline in rescaled systems.

My general rule of thumb for delta-V to a circular low orbit is ([low orbit velocity]+1000 m/s)*1.1. For stock with 2300 m/s, this yields 3630 m/s, and for RSS, with 7900 m/s, this yields 9790 m/s - a bit over what is strictly necessary, but gives a buffer for deorbiting and less-than-ideal ascents, and seems to hold for all reasonably feasible rescales. I wonder if that works for other planets (mainly Eve, Duna and Laythe) as well, and what the "loss constants" for them are.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 7:43 PM, FiiZzioN said:

Does anyone else have the issue of their atmosphere multiplier not seeming to have any effect in the game? Everything else seems to be working fine, except for atmosphere scaling.

Last time I checked it was working fine.

if you still have the issue try clicking on the nyan cat in my sig and send me the files described there so I can take a look at your issue

@Sigma88 (duh), 

would it be possible to make the fadeStart and fadeEnd to correlate with the resize factor in the future?

for example, in a 10x system these values don't change and the scaled space texture (in 10x pixelated glory) shows very early on during ascent and very late during reentry.

its more of a convenience thing , but what part of sigma dimensions isn't for convenience? :) 

currently you have to manually edit these values by whatever you rescaled your system by:

ScaledVersion
        {
            type = Vacuum
            fadeStart = 25000 <---------
            fadeEnd = 30000 <----------
        }
        PQS
        {
            fadeStart = 30000 <---------
            fadeEnd = 35000 <---------
            deactivateAltitude = 40000 <---------

Edited by Galileo

On 31-12-2016 at 6:52 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Is it possible to apply the rescaling to all planets except ones in the stock solar system? I have a planet pack that is made for RSS, and I want to make it compatible with stock, but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of manually editing each and every config so that they are scaled to Kerbal-size.

Indeed, this would be useful but not only for your planet pack but also for several other galaxy mods, which essentially have the same problem. @Sigma88 I propose a new parameter "Affected Minimum Solar distance" and it would be in distance relative to Kerbin to Sun. It would allow these galaxy mods to apply scaling only to planet/ stars further than the minimum distance.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Indeed, this would be useful but not only for your planet pack but also for several other galaxy mods, which essentially have the same problem. @Sigma88 I propose a new parameter "Affected Minimum Solar distance" and it would be in distance relative to Kerbin to Sun. It would allow these galaxy mods to apply scaling only to planet/ stars further than the minimum distance.

I already tried to include something like this into SD, but I couldn't manage to make it a worthwile addition.

ultimately, anyone interested in something like this can already do this:

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]
{
	@Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale *= X
		}
	}
}

this will multiply by "X" the Rescale parameter of all the bodies orbiting the center of the galaxy.

plus, keep in mind that some galaxy mods change the name of the center of the universe (the actual name, not the cbNameLater), which is not a good idea and makes it impossible for me to address that in SD.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I already tried to include something like this into SD, but I couldn't manage to make it a worthwile addition.

ultimately, anyone interested in something like this can already do this:

{
	@Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun]]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale *= X
		}
	}
}

this will multiply by "X" the Rescale parameter of all the bodies orbiting the center of the galaxy.

plus, keep in mind that some galaxy mods change the name of the center of the universe (the actual name, not the cbNameLater), which is not a good idea and makes it impossible for me to address that in SD.

I don't think you fully understood.

Because wouldn't this change ALL planets and stars in orbit of the sun? The would only work for true galaxy mods like Galactic Neighbourhood

What we need is to be able to make a subselection based on distance from the sun, specifically any astro body that is further than the further outreach of the local solar system.

Edited by FreeThinker

58 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I don't think you fully understood.

Because wouldn't this change ALL planets and stars in orbit of the sun? The would only work for true galaxy mods like Galactic Neighbourhood

What we need is to be able to make a subselection based on distance from the sun, specifically any astro body that is further than the further outreach of the local solar system.

I don't understand at all.

there's no such thing as "distance from the sun" either the body is orbiting the sun, so you check how much the SMA is, or the object is not in orbit around the sun, in which case there's no way to know how distant it is from the sun

6 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I don't understand at all.

there's no such thing as "distance from the sun" either the body is orbiting the sun, so you check how much the SMA is, or the object is not in orbit around the sun, in which case there's no way to know how distant it is from the sun

To clarify, Yes we are only referring to bodies that orbit the run. Specificly We would like to filter on the the average orbital distance (of bodies that orbit the sun), which need to be higher than a certain distance (relative to sun to kerbin distance)

Edited by FreeThinker

33 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

To clarify, Yes we are only referring to bodies that orbit the run. Specificly We would like to filter on the the average orbital distance (of bodies that orbit the sun), which need to be higher than a certain distance (relative to sun to kerbin distance)

{
	@Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Sun],#semiMajorAxis[>13e9]]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Rescale *= X
		}
	}
}

something like that?

Can someone help me out with understanding PQScity stuff and how to group them as described here:

I'm new to using Kerbal Konstructs so I am not at all familiar with how it works or does it's stuff, I have glanced at a few of the configs for the KSC++ and a few other KK things that came with Galileos Planet Pack but I can't find any references to PQSCity or PQSCity2, which the above post says I need to add them to the group and define the center city, but I have nooooo idea what I am doing :(

Does this scale the antenna ranges? If not, how do I do that?

I tried this config, but it doesn't seem to be working:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]] {
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {
		@antennapower *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT {
	@TRACKING {
		@DSNRange,* *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

8 hours ago, IronCretin said:

Does this scale the antenna ranges? If not, how do I do that?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]] {
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {
		@antennapower *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT {
	@TRACKING {
		@DSNRange,* *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

you might want to add a :FINAL so that the changes are applied after SD

an alternative to :FINAL could be :AFTER[SigDim2]

but I haven't tested any of those

20 hours ago, IronCretin said:

Try this. Note the case in antennaPower.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:Final
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@antennaPower *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT:Final
{
	@TRACKING
	{
		@DSNRange[0,,] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
		@DSNRange[1,,] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
		@DSNRange[2,,] *= #$@SigmaDimensions/Rescale$
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

@Sigma88,

Ok, don't laugh :) , but this is a question about SD 0.4.3 with Kopernicus 0.6.2 in KSP 1.0.5 (don't ask either  (:P ).  I noticed a bunch of exceptions showing up in the Alt-F2 debug console.  Suspecting it might have had something to do with Kopernicus, I removed all other mods, but then no exceptions showed up.  Adding in SD made the exceptions appear.  This was even without my Kopernicus or SD change .cfg files being loaded, just the mods themselves.  SD does appear to be working fine, the changes did work when I load them, but I am alarmed by the exceptions.  Are they harmless?

Screenshot of the debug console:

Spoiler

8Arlgaf.jpg

KSP Log is here.

Output Log is here.

On 2/5/2017 at 6:43 AM, Laguna said:

@Sigma88,

Ok, don't laugh :) , but this is a question about SD 0.4.3 with Kopernicus 0.6.2 in KSP 1.0.5 (don't ask either  (:P ).  I noticed a bunch of exceptions showing up in the Alt-F2 debug console.  Suspecting it might have had something to do with Kopernicus, I removed all other mods, but then no exceptions showed up.  Adding in SD made the exceptions appear.  This was even without my Kopernicus or SD change .cfg files being loaded, just the mods themselves.  SD does appear to be working fine, the changes did work when I load them, but I am alarmed by the exceptions.  Are they harmless?

Screenshot of the debug console:

Reveal hidden contents

8Arlgaf.jpg

KSP Log is here.

Output Log is here.

Sorry but I can't remember which was the most reliable setup back then

And I cannot see anthing in those logs that might help you solve the issue

I initially posted this in the GPP thread, but I just realised that this is probably the better place for it.

2 hours ago, Fobok said:

Has anybody ever made a switch of scale without starting a new save? I've been giving it serious thought, as I like making big rockets. Too big, really, for a stock sized system. I haven't decided yet whether I want a 3.2 or 6.4 size, (I'm not sure I'm ready for 10), but I know I want something bigger.

I do not want to start from scratch (at least when it comes to science and financial progress), and I had decided to live with it, but I just read that Blue Dog Designs will soon be putting out a save breaking update, which will likely wipe out many of my current active missions anyway.

I know that changing the scale will wipe out my current active flights, (or, I think so anyway?) But would it do anything else that I might need to worry about?

59 minutes ago, Fobok said:

I initially posted this in the GPP thread, but I just realised that this is probably the better place for it.

I would make a copy of your save and try it out. If it wrecks everything just put your old save back in and remove sigma until you make the necessary changes to allow for a rescale