Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

5 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Earth is about 10 times bigger than stock Kerbin and 11 times farther away from the sun. but RSS system is pretty different from the Stock one :)

Yeah. You should add to the front page a section of most common cfg (64k, 3.2, RSS)

This is a test for the new OP, don't look at it!

Settings Overview

Since I want to learn how to use KittopiaTech and also I need to know how planetary code works in Kopernicus I decided to start this project to have something to work on while learning about that stuff.

Feel free to suggest features that could be useful for such a mod.

Base Settings

Feature Description Possible Values
Resize Planetary Radius is multiplied by this value.
The mass of each body is changed to maintain the same surface gravity.
Default value = 1
Can be set to any positive number.
Rescale Orbit size (SemiMajor Axis) is multiplied by this value. Default value = 1
Atmosphere Atmosphere height is multiplied by this value. Default value = 1
dayLenghtMultiplier Rotation period is multiplied by this value.
Does not affect tidally locked bodies.
Default value = 1

Advanced Settings

Feature Description Possible Values
geeASLmultiplier Surface gravity is multiplied by this value. Default value = 1
landscape Altitude of geographical features is multiplied by the "Resize" and "landscape" parameters. Default value = 1
atmoVisualEffect The height of the atmosphere aesthetics is multiplied by this parameter. Default value = 1
resizeScatter ENABLED:
ground scatter size is multiplied by the "Resize" parameter.
DISABLED:
ground scatter size is not modified.

Ground scatter density is always adjusted to account for the different surface area.
Default value = 1
Disabled if set to 0
CustomSoISize ENABLED:
Sphere of Influence is multiplyed by this parameter.
DISABLED:
Sphere of Influence is multiplyed by the "Rescale" parameter.

Affects only bodies with the Sphere of Influence defined in their config file.
Default value = 0
Enabled if set to a positive number.
CustomRingSize ENABLED:
rings size is multiplyed by this parameter.
DISABLED:
rings size is multiplyed by the "Rescale" parameter.
Default value = 0
Enabled if set to a positive number.
atmoASL Surface pressure is multiplied by this parameter. Default value = 1
tempASL Surface temperature is multiplied by this parameter. Default value = 1
scanAltitude Altitude limits for orbital scanners is multiplied by the "Resize" and "scanAltitude" parameters. Default value = 1
Can be set to any 

Planet Specific Changes

To apply Planet Specific Changes follow these instructions.

Hide contents

• Create a .cfg file with the following code in it

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[PLANET_NAME_HERE]]
    {
        @PlanetDimensions[id] = value
    }
}
  • Replace 'PLANET_NAME_HERE' with the 'name' of the planet you want to change

• Replace 'id' with the number of the parameter you want to overwrite

List of parameters:

[0]  - Resize
    [1]  - Rescale
    [2]  - Atmosphere
    [3]  - dayLengthMultiplier
    [4]  - geeASLmultiplier
    [5]  - landscape
    [6]  - atmoVisualEffect
    [7]  - resizeScatter
    [8]  - CustomSoISize
    [9]  - CustomRingSize
    [10] - atmoASL
    [11] - tempASL
  • To edit another parameter paste another copy of the code and edit accordingly
  • Save the .cfg file anywhere in your KSP GameData folder.

Example:

Set to '0.5' the 'Atmosphere' parameter for Kerbin

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @PlanetDimensions[2] = 0.5
    }
}

Edited by Sigma88

39 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm not doing that for now because I don't want to step on those mods toes :)

I've contacted some of the developers of those rescale mods, telling them that they can use this mod as a dependency to rescale the system

basically this mod will be rescaling the planets, so that they can focus on other aspects like science balancing, retexturing changing science definitions or whatever they have fun doing without having to bother about the resizing of the planets

Yeah. Is there a way to change the terrain of Kerbin? Like RSS maked real life continets? And another thing will you add an option to change inclination of moons and planets? :)

6 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Yeah. Is there a way to change the terrain of Kerbin? Like RSS maked real life continets? And another thing will you add an option to change inclination of moons and planets? :)

well, this is a rescale mod so if you want planets to look differently you'll need to install a planet mod :)

for example, if you want to play on a real solar system, but with the size of kerbal stock system, you can install RSS + SigmaDimensions and set it to:

Resize = 0.1
Rescale = 0.1
Atmosphere = 1
dayLenghtMultiplier = 0.25

(disclaimer, I don't really know if RSS is compatible with SigmaDimensions :D

and regarding inclination, you can change that pretty easily using kopernicus, whatever code I may add to change inclinations will probably be just a copy of kopernicus itself, so it wouldn't really add anything new :)

Edited by Sigma88

13 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

for example, if you want to play on a real solar system, but with the size of kerbal stock system, you can install RSS + SigmaDimensions and set it to:

Resize = 0.1
Rescale = 0.1
Atmosphere = 1
dayLenghtMultiplier = 0.25

(disclaimer, I don't really know if RSS is compatible with SigmaDimensions :D

Now thats something i must try. Landing kerbals on Mars without the whole hassle of RSS(well... thats the point of RSS). I will pm you how it went and ill test your mod with some else mods (New Horizon, OPM,...) :D

Edited by Joco223

4 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Now thats something i must try. Landing kerbals on Mars without the whole hassle of RSS(well... thats the point of RSS). I will pm you how it went and ill test your mod with some else mods (New Horizon, OPM,...) :D

OPM should work fine, I had some screenshots of a kerbal on a 0.001x Wal :D

NH should also work fine, UL has some coloring problem that can be solved using one of the advanced options

but I've honestly never tried RSS

@Joco223 I've tried loading RSS with SigmaDimensions and I've found some issues. I've already corrected many of them in the development version of SigmaDimensions, if you want you can check it out.

there are still some issues, mainly with atmospheres. I'll have a look tonight what can be done to fix those issues :)

you will most likely get 124 ModuleManager errors, do not worry about those, they should not affect negatively the game.

they are a result of a weird RSS related issue, I have already contacted the devs so they can fix that issue, when they'll do that the errors will go away

Edited by Sigma88

@Sigma88 So, is there any news on KSC Swithcer for now or is it even possible to make it work?

-EDIT-

I tested KSC Switcher with RSS config for launch sites and there is one bug. Everywhere where there is a launch site, KSP makes a crater in the terrain

http://imgur.com/cAgKTv8

Edited by Joco223

5 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@Sigma88 So, is there any news on KSC Swithcer for now or is it even possible to make it work?

In theory I should be able to look into it.

the problem is, for some weird reason the altitude of the KSC cannot be rescaled as other altitudes.

if you look at how I move the stock KSC this is the formula:

(( altitude + 22.3 ) * Resize ) - 22.3

of course that "22.3" will probably work only on stock kerbin, where the KSC is not moved.

I will take a look at the KSC switcher, maybe it has some features I can use.

13 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

In theory I should be able to look into it.

the problem is, for some weird reason the altitude of the KSC cannot be rescaled as other altitudes.

if you look at how I move the stock KSC this is the formula:

(( altitude + 22.3 ) * Resize ) - 22.3

of course that "22.3" will probably work only on stock kerbin, where the KSC is not moved.

I will take a look at the KSC switcher, maybe it has some features I can use.

Ok. It tould be awesome if you somehow made it work :)

I started using the mod for a 6.4k rescale. It works really well. It definitely keeps kerbin from completely flattening out, but I think it maybe a little too much. By scaling all the PQS mods by the entire rescale factor of 6.4 I have mountains 20km+ tall! That's feels like way too much for me. I would like it to stay within RL limits since our tallest mountain on earth is around 8-9km ASL. Other than that it works nicely.

Just now, Svm420 said:

I started using the mod for a 6.4k rescale. It works really well. It definitely keeps kerbin from completely flattening out, but I think it maybe a little too much. By scaling all the PQS mods by the entire rescale factor of 6.4 I have mountains 20km+ tall! That's feels like way too much for me. I would like it to stay within RL limits since our tallest mountain on earth is around 8-9km ASL. Other than that it works nicely.

the rescale is set up to maintain the same "shape", the alternative would be doing what 64k does, which is keeping the tallest mountains at 8km altitude

and the result is that everything feels flattened out :D

I could implement 2 different parameters for resizing radius and terrain bumpiness but that would not solve your problem.

earth radius is 10.6 times bigger than kerbin's

while mount everest is just 1.3 times higher than the highest kerbin's peak.

the problem is that the features on kerbin are deliberately too high because they look better that way.

I will probably end up adding those feature anyways, because I think it could be useful.

@Joco223 I've tried finding a better solution for the KSCSwitcher, but it looks like there's not a simple way to do it.

depending on the rescale chosen you will need to edit all the altitudes manually since they don't follow a mathematical rule

(or at least not one I could see)

good news :D

Sigma Dimensions v0.2.0

This new release brings a load of changes:

Changelog:

v0.2.0

- Multiple atmosphere fixes
- Sun temperature curve fix
- Mass calculation fix
- KSC repositioning fix
- Added KSCSwitcher compatibility
- Added PQSMOD_VertexRidgedAltitudeCurve
- Changed Cache file folder structure
- Added EVE Clouds cfg to resize clouds

Download links in the OP

3 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

Unfortunately with this new release I'm still getting white rings around Tekto and the Other Worlds planets, and no visible atmosphere on the surfaces.

which version of MM do you have?

and which rescalings? ( i guess size 6.4 , scale 6.4, atmo 1.3)

Edited by Sigma88

17 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

which version of MM do you have?

and which rescalings? ( i guess size 6.4 , scale 6.4, atmo 1.3)

2.6.16 & .17 (issue persists with either); you have the right rescales

Edited by Jodo42

Is the EVE cloud resizing automatic, and if so, is it compatible with EVE cloud packs? If both of these are true, then it doesn't appear to be working with Stock Visual Enhancements.

Edited by MrMeeb

Hi, I have installed your 0.2.0 version, I have MM 2.6.17

I have managed to upscale my system to 6.4 times and it is working beautifully, however with this latest version you say I can now alter the PQS values independently of planet scale? How do I do this?

There is no category in the settings file that I can see, ideally Id like to have my planets at 6.4 and maybe 3.2 for the mountain heights? 30km high mountains are a bit much, I could however live with 15km :)

Also, whilst searching through the files, I noticed two of the files in config/redimension are .txt rather than .cfg, is that intentional?

52 minutes ago, Shania_L said:

Hi, I have installed your 0.2.0 version, I have MM 2.6.17

I have managed to upscale my system to 6.4 times and it is working beautifully, however with this latest version you say I can now alter the PQS values independently of planet scale? How do I do this?

There is no category in the settings file that I can see, ideally Id like to have my planets at 6.4 and maybe 3.2 for the mountain heights? 30km high mountains are a bit much, I could however live with 15km :)

Also, whilst searching through the files, I noticed two of the files in config/redimension are .txt rather than .cfg, is that intentional?

I have yet to get that feature working, I am not even sure I can do it :)

the txt files are old cfg files that I disabled by changing them to txt I kept them there just in case I need them in the future ;)

45 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I have yet to get that feature working, I am not even sure I can do it :)

You can. I spent better part of  a day hacking at your configs to allow me to control kerbin separate from the other planets. Did have to do a bit of custom kittopia editing, but I got my mountains down to ~12km not as nice looking as stock, but much more reasonable.