Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

4 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Basically if you go into orbit of say a 500m planet then EVA and land, What happens is that your mothership after travelling a certain distance just stops moving and when you switch to it the game registers it as landed and it becomes immobile, Any kerbals aboard are stuck aboard and all craft functions are blocked.

you mean a planet which has 500m radius?

could you send me the settings you are using?

I suppose you get this bug also on a clean install, with just MM + Kopernicus + SD

Just now, Sigma88 said:

you mean a planet which has 500m radius?

could you send me the settings you are using?

I suppose you get this bug also on a clean install, with just MM + Kopernicus + SD

Well. Its not using Dimensions but it is a scaling issue, I can send you a copy of my project if you want...

Just now, daniel l. said:

Well. Its not using Dimensions but it is a scaling issue, I can send you a copy of my project if you want...

sure,

could you also include a quick way to reproduce the bug with the least mods possible? that might help me pinpoint the issue sooner

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

sure,

could you also include a quick way to reproduce the bug with the least mods possible? that might help me pinpoint the issue sooner

A good way would be to take Say... Tylo and scale it down to 1/1000th its normal size then fix the deformity so it doesnt look like a hedgehog, Then spawn in a ship in a 100m orbit and then EVA, Land the kerbal on the surface and watch your ship go over the horizon. :) Thats how to do it, If you wish i'll send the project files.

1 minute ago, daniel l. said:

A good way would be to take Say... Tylo and scale it down to 1/1000th its normal size then fix the deformity so it doesnt look like a hedgehog, Then spawn in a ship in a 100m orbit and then EVA, Land the kerbal on the surface and watch your ship go over the horizon. :) Thats how to do it, If you wish i'll send the project files.

by spawn you mean use HyperEdit ?

because after you HyperEdit a craft on some place you should save and reload, because all kinds of weird stuff happens if you just hyperedit and then play

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

by spawn you mean use HyperEdit ?

because after you HyperEdit a craft on some place you should save and reload, because all kinds of weird stuff happens if you just hyperedit and then play

Yes i mean hyperedit, But the craft should still not freeze in orbit...

Just now, daniel l. said:

Yes i mean hyperedit, But the craft should still not freeze in orbit...

yes it can happen if you don't save and reload

I've reported that bug ages ago but it's still there.

it has something to do with the fact that close to planets ksp uses a rotating reference frame as opposed to a fixed reference frame

when you hyperedit from landed on kerbin to orbiting any planet, your ship will still move in the rotating reference frame of kerbin and weird stuff will happen.

for example, in stock ksp, if you hyperedit from landed on kerbin to orbiting duna, and then time warp, you will see your ship rotating like a spinning top even if in timewarp it should be freezed in the same direction always

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

yes it can happen if you don't save and reload

I've reported that bug ages ago but it's still there.

it has something to do with the fact that close to planets ksp uses a rotating reference frame as opposed to a fixed reference frame

when you hyperedit from landed on kerbin to orbiting any planet, your ship will still move in the rotating reference frame of kerbin and weird stuff will happen.

for example, in stock ksp, if you hyperedit from landed on kerbin to orbiting duna, and then time warp, you will see your ship rotating like a spinning top even if in timewarp it should be freezed in the same direction always

Hmm. I'll take a look at that :)

38 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I just scaled tylo 1/1000 and had no problems with it. So I guess that's what your bug was about

Thanks :) And umm one question. Kind of off topic, But how do i make a planet shoot particles out at the exact opposite direction from its sun?

20 minutes ago, FireFaced said:

So this happens to KerbinSide with 64K.

I'm using the latest version of 64K and SigmaDimensions 0.5

No way around that, I believe.  It has to do with the way Kerbal Konstructs defines each base.

7 hours ago, FireFaced said:

So this happens to KerbinSide with 64K.

O2QOPBq.png

I'm using the latest version of 64K and SigmaDimensions 0.5

I'm guessing you are speaking about the fact that statics are all spread around

this is an effect of the rescale, since the position of each "building" is defined using latitude and longitude a bigger planet will result in spread out buildings (and a shrinked planet will result in "overlapping" buildings)

there is no real solution to this other than re-position all buildings like @blowfish said

if you decide to go down that route a little warning:

after you will re-position the statics ingame, KK will save the new position under 

STATICS
{
	Instances
	{
		RadiusOffset = x
	}
}

you need to edit the "RadiusOffset", divide its value by the "Resize" parameter and then by the "landscape" parameter

this is necessary because SD will do the exact opposite at KSP startup (multiply RadiusOffset * Resize * landscape) so you need to "feed" it the "stock" values for "radiusoffset" rather than those for the scaled planet

@Sigma88 just a thank you from another happy user,

I could built a non-uniform scale that is perfect for my playstyle so hard kerbin 3x with stretched atmosphere 1.385x (100km) and relatively easy short interplanetary mission times (planets and distances rescaled x1.5)

Question:

When using this mod with RealPlume, it seems as if the speed of the plume increases based of the amount of the rescale. I haven't tested it out completely to the ends of the earth, but it's something I've noticed after testing the new KSP release. Have you heard of this before, and do you think it's more of a Realplume issue, or more related to this mod?

Thanks for your time! 

Edited by FiiZzioN
I need to proof read before posting...

31 minutes ago, FiiZzioN said:

Question:

When using this mod with RealPlume, it seems as if the speed of the plume increases based of the amount of the rescale. I haven't tested it out completely to the ends of the earth, but it's something I've noticed after testing the new KSP release. Have you heard of this before, and do you think it's more of a Realplume issue, or more related to this mod?

Thanks for your time! 

to me this sounds like it may be a consequence of how RealPlume code works, maybe it's the result of bad assumptions or maybe this is exactly how it is supposed to work (I have no idea)

SigmaDimensions should rescale the system "properly" as in, changing the variables how you would expect them to change.

I'll contact the RealPlume devs to see if they have an explanation

could you confirm that you tried this on a clean install of the game, with only the minimum amount of mods (Kopernicus, MM, SD, RealPlume) and that you installed all those mods without CKAN?

thanks

EDIT:

It's also worth noting that SD was last updated in KSP 1.1.2 so some assumption I make may be wrong in 1.1.3

Edited by Sigma88

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

<Snip>

I'm trying a rather trimmed down install as suggested. I also don't know why I completely forgot to do that before initially posting, which is completely out of my nature when reporting things, so I'm sorry about that.

Anyways, I'm installing some parts packs that are supported by RealPlume as to see if I get the same issue with some of the parts that originally were the culprit. I'll update you later as I'm going to be messing around on this install to be a bit more thorough. Something I might do before checking back in is fiddling with the original install as to see if I can get any improvements / different behaviors.

Down with CKAN. Hopefully that answers your question.  :wink:

Mods I'm currently using while testing:

hERsjGZ.png

Edited by FiiZzioN
Included what I'm currently testing with.

10 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

I'm trying a rather trimmed down install as suggested. I also don't know why I completely forgot to do that before initially posting, which is completely out of my nature when reporting things, so I'm sorry about that.

Anyways, I'm installing some parts packs that are supported by RealPlume as to see if I get the same issue with some of the parts that originally were the culprit. I'll update you later as I'm going to be messing around on this install to be a bit more thorough. Something I might do before checking back in is fiddling with the original install as to see if I can get any improvements / different behaviors.

Down with CKAN. Hopefully that answers your question.  :wink:

Mods I'm currently using while testing:

hERsjGZ.png

it's not the best situation to have to go through all those mods to see where the issue comes from

your best way to isolate the problem would be to start with just the bare minimum:

- ModuleManager
- Kopernicus
- ModularFlightIntegrator (the one redistributed by Kopernicus)
- SigmaDimensions
- RealPlume

(not sure how RealPlume works, but if it needs an engine pack, or something to work, add that one as well)

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

it's not the best situation to have to go through all those mods to see where the issue comes from

your best way to isolate the problem would be to start with just the bare minimum:

- ModuleManager
- Kopernicus
- ModularFlightIntegrator (the one redistributed by Kopernicus)
- SigmaDimensions
- RealPlume

(not sure how RealPlume works, but if it needs an engine pack, or something to work, add that one as well)

Oh, I know. All I'm going to say is there is always a reason behind the madness. As I stated, I don't know why I didn't debug before I even submitted my first post. I can't even count how many times I've had to debug something in this game due to the fact that I fiddle with almost everything I install. The most fun (interpret nightmare) I've ever had was having to debug sub 5 FPS as well as thrust fluctuations with something like 150+ mods only to find out in the end that it was the mod "Trajectories" of all things... It was add 3 - 5 mods at a time that were the most likely culprit until you encountered the problem. Once encountered, go through the batch that was the last added and remove one at a time until you find it. Needless to say, "Trajectories" was the last mod I'd have suspected to cause such issues.

Anyways, as said before, there is a reason behind the / my madness. Also, the second you start programming you learn how to debug more efficiently faster and faster. 

I also have to state again that I'm sorry I didn't flesh this out more before I submitted the first post. :/

Ok, the reason for the madness was trying to figure something else out at the same time. Anyway, I figured the other one out, now back to the plumes. It seems that the HydroLox vacuum plumes are the ones that get greatly exaggerated; the others, from what I've tested so far, seem to be fine. The specific HydroLox engines I was using that were exacerbated are from the CryoEngines pack authored by Nertea. I haven't used another engine yet that has that plume applied to it, so I don't know if it affects those as well. I'll update after using one that has the same plume.

All mods used for the CryoEngines test were needed except for KerbalEngineer :

Nm2xmsz.png

Mods used for stock test:

9MLytnf.png

Edited by FiiZzioN

Another interesting find is, that if you have FAR installed, the atmosphere won't get multiplied if you try. I can only get that feature to work once I uninstall it. Bit of a disappointment, but I have a feeling it can be fixed, I just don't know how exactly at the moment.

Literally, all I had to do was install FAR, and no atmosphere scaling, once removed, instant atmosphere scaling. 

Edit:

I should also mention that I tried the atmosphere visual effects the same time I was trying the scaling, but I don't know if FAR stopped that as well. I didn't really know what to look for with scaled atmosphere visuals. I do know for a fact that the atmosphere scaling didn't work since the information panel in the tracking station gave me the exact atmosphere height. 

Hope this helps in some way, shape, or form.

Edited by FiiZzioN