Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

Hey Sigma, I have a little problem.

I don`t touch your Settings.cfg but made a custom cfg. The only things I would change is resize and Orbit of Mun/Minmus and a rescale of Kerbin. So I made a new config:

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Mun]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
           @Resize = 2
        @Rescale = 8
        }
    }
}
{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Minmus]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
           @Resize = 2
        @Rescale = 8
        }
    }
}

{
    @Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
    {
        @SigmaDimensions
        {
           @Resize = 2
        @CustomSoISize = 8
        }
    }
}

But when I launch a vessel and reach Orbit at 70km, high Kerbin orbit begins directly at 70km. there is no low orbit.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:57 PM, Cheesecake said:

But when I launch a vessel and reach Orbit at 70km, high Kerbin orbit begins directly at 70km. there is no low orbit.

This happens because you don't change the altitude at which you have the threshold between low and high space

use something like this:

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@SigmaDimensions
		{
			@Resize = 2
			@CustomSoISize = 8
		}
		%Properties
		{
			%ScienceValues
			{
				%spaceAltitudeThreshold = 250000
			}
		}
	}
}

250000 is the stock value, use whatever you prefere

Edited by Sigma88

Thank you for your help.

Edit: That didn`t work. I also changed this parameter directly in the Kerbin_Values.cfg. But it changed nothing ingame.

2nd Edit: I have found a solution. Now it works.

Edited by Cheesecake

for some reason your atmosphere scaling isn't working for me, trajectories gives me the altitude it should be set to, but the atmosphere gauge under the nav ball and engine isp numbers match stock values. What am i doing wrong?

1 minute ago, FL-T400 said:

for some reason your atmosphere scaling isn't working for me, trajectories gives me the altitude it should be set to, but the atmosphere gauge under the nav ball and engine isp numbers match stock values. What am i doing wrong?

I'm not sure what this means

could you expand a little?

I've scaled my atmosphere to 2.2 times and have launched sounding rockets to test it. My trajectories mod readout shows that above hundred 50 something kilometers it is vacuum but based on the engine ISP and on the gauge under the altimeter the atmosphere ends at 70 km, stock values. World rescale, however, works fine for me.

5 minutes ago, FL-T400 said:

I've scaled my atmosphere to 2.2 times and have launched sounding rockets to test it. My trajectories mod readout shows that above hundred 50 something kilometers it is vacuum but based on the engine ISP and on the gauge under the altimeter the atmosphere ends at 70 km, stock values. World rescale, however, works fine for me.

could you send me the mm cache file?

3 hours ago, FL-T400 said:

hmmm

for some reason SD is not changing the atmosphere

could you delete the mm cache and then restart the game?

then share the cache and the ksp logs (click on the nyan cat in my sig for an indication to where to find the logs)

3 minutes ago, EstebanLB said:

Lagrange points are not valid on KSP, how do you mantain position of the L4 and L5 asteroids arround Jupiter?

does stock have trojans now? or are you talking about a mod?

11 minutes ago, EstebanLB said:

Lagrange points are not valid on KSP, how do you mantain position of the L4 and L5 asteroids arround Jupiter?

L4/L5, at least the exact positions (same orbit, but 60° in front and behind) work perfectly fine in normal KSP, however, if you do not get the exact same orbital period, they will eventually drift. It is L1 through L3 that do not work and absolutely require n-body gravity.

Sigma Dimensions v0.7.5

This release adds some important fixes for the atmosphere and other minor fixes

Many thanks to @OhioBob for harassing assisting me into the process of getting the curve right.

Thanks also to @DerpyFirework for pointing out a bug in PQSCity2 altitude resize

@FL-T400 this might solve your issues, let me know if you still have problems

all the links are available in the OP

If you want to follow the development of my mods:  Sigma88Mods&style=social

If you want to buy me a cup of coffee:  iSFDI5f.png r8916yD.png 

This mod would not be possible without the work of:

- sarbian (ModuleManager)    Donate to Sarbian here: btn_donate_SM.gif
- Thomas P. (Kopernicus)    Donate to Thomas here: btn_donate_SM.gif

Changelog:

v0.7.5

- Fixed Atmosphere handling when using atmoTopLayer
- EVE clouds altitude now account for landscape
- Changed the way timewarp limits are resized
- Fixed PQSCity2 altitude resize
- Fixed KSC Water Tower Light resize
Edited by Sigma88

Hello Sigma. If I'm given to understand correctly, the Atmosphere multiplier basically just changes the scale of the atmosphere curve x-axis (if it's, say, 2, then the pressure at 40 km is what it was at 20 km), while the atmoTopLayer effect extends the atmosphere curve, such that atmospheric effects start more gently.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for you to A, explain that more thoroughly on the first page, and B, perhaps put in an example, annotated Settings.cfg to explain the typical logic. An example of what I'm talking about is below... 

Spoiler

SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

// Resize all planets by a factor of 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	// Rescale their orbits by a factor of 6.4
	Rescale = 6.4
	// The first of two atmosphere factors; this one says "stretch out stock atmo by 1.25x".
	Atmosphere = 1.25
	// 18 hours is a reasonable rotation period for 6.4x.0
	dayLengthMultiplier = 3

// Advanced Settings

// Terrain features scaled up by 6.4x from Resize; multiply by 0.3 so we don't end up with 43km mountains on Kerbin.
	// Nothing is ever going to be completely satisfactory short of making a completely new heightmap for every single planet.
	// This is essentially a compromise; terrain is somewhat flattened, but at least there aren't mountains soaring into upper atmosphere.
	// 6.4 * 0.3 = 1.92x, as compared to the 1.64x total atmosphere multiplier (and 1.25x stock atmo multiplier)
	landscape = 0.3
	// Generally leave unchanged to maintain equal surface gravity.
	geeASLmultiplier = 1

// 6.4x rescaled trees and boulders are hilarious. No, they're not.
	resizeScatter = 0.3
	// Don't resize buildings. Will cause KSC to be a significant distance from the coastline because it's placed by lat/long coordinates.
	resizeBuildings = 0

// Don't muck with Sigma's logic for SOI sizes.
	CustomSoISize = 0
	// Scale rings the same factor as planets.
	CustomRingSize = 0

// Don't muck with pressure at sea level.
	atmoASL = 1
	// Don't muck with temperature at sea level.
	tempASL = 1

// Extend the atmosphere by 1.312x. This means that not only does the atmosphere end 1.312x higher (multiplied by 1.25x from the prior factor),
	// it also ends at a lower pressure. This is rather crucial for upscaled KSP; the stock atmosphere is calibrated to end based on stock atmospheric
	// entry speeds. Entering the top of the stock Kerbin atmosphere is quite survivable at 2-3 km/sec. At the 6-10 km/sec of 6.4x reentry speeds, however,
	// the top of stock atmo is a brick wall of firey, firey doom.

// With 1.312 atmoTopLayer multiplier on top of 1.25x Atmosphere, instead of ending at ~3.7E-6 atm pressure at 87.5 km, we instead end at 7.5E-8 atm of
	// pressure at 114.8 km.

// In aggregate, the atmo extends 1.64x higher, which was based on (slightly incorrect) linear interpolation between stock's 70km atmo and RSS's 140km.
	// Overall, my settings are a little bit more aggressive than others who run 6.4x, who have slightly lower atmospheres (and lower terrain).

// Don't forget to also change your reentry heating settings! (not, to my knowledge, handled by Sigma).
	atmoTopLayer = 1.312

// Atmospheric effects are 1.3x higher than stock. Should be about the same as the stock atmo multiplier.
	atmoVisualEffect = 1.3

// Just use the resize parameter for adjusting ScanSat.
	scanAltitude = 1
}

14 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

Hello Sigma. If I'm given to understand correctly, the Atmosphere multiplier basically just changes the scale of the atmosphere curve x-axis (if it's, say, 2, then the pressure at 40 km is what it was at 20 km), while the atmoTopLayer effect extends the atmosphere curve, such that atmospheric effects start more gently.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile for you to A, explain that more thoroughly on the first page, and B, perhaps put in an example, annotated Settings.cfg to explain the typical logic. An example of what I'm talking about is below... 

Reveal hidden contents

SigmaDimensions
{
	// Base Settings

// Resize all planets by a factor of 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	// Rescale their orbits by a factor of 6.4
	Rescale = 6.4
	// The first of two atmosphere factors; this one says "stretch out stock atmo by 1.25x".
	Atmosphere = 1.25
	// 18 hours is a reasonable rotation period for 6.4x.0
	dayLengthMultiplier = 3

// Advanced Settings

// Terrain features scaled up by 6.4x from Resize; multiply by 0.3 so we don't end up with 43km mountains on Kerbin.
	// Nothing is ever going to be completely satisfactory short of making a completely new heightmap for every single planet.
	// This is essentially a compromise; terrain is somewhat flattened, but at least there aren't mountains soaring into upper atmosphere.
	// 6.4 * 0.3 = 1.92x, as compared to the 1.64x total atmosphere multiplier (and 1.25x stock atmo multiplier)
	landscape = 0.3
	// Generally leave unchanged to maintain equal surface gravity.
	geeASLmultiplier = 1

// 6.4x rescaled trees and boulders are hilarious. No, they're not.
	resizeScatter = 0.3
	// Don't resize buildings. Will cause KSC to be a significant distance from the coastline because it's placed by lat/long coordinates.
	resizeBuildings = 0

// Don't muck with Sigma's logic for SOI sizes.
	CustomSoISize = 0
	// Scale rings the same factor as planets.
	CustomRingSize = 0

// Don't muck with pressure at sea level.
	atmoASL = 1
	// Don't muck with temperature at sea level.
	tempASL = 1

// Extend the atmosphere by 1.312x. This means that not only does the atmosphere end 1.312x higher (multiplied by 1.25x from the prior factor),
	// it also ends at a lower pressure. This is rather crucial for upscaled KSP; the stock atmosphere is calibrated to end based on stock atmospheric
	// entry speeds. Entering the top of the stock Kerbin atmosphere is quite survivable at 2-3 km/sec. At the 6-10 km/sec of 6.4x reentry speeds, however,
	// the top of stock atmo is a brick wall of firey, firey doom.

// With 1.312 atmoTopLayer multiplier on top of 1.25x Atmosphere, instead of ending at ~3.7E-6 atm pressure at 87.5 km, we instead end at 7.5E-8 atm of
	// pressure at 114.8 km.

// In aggregate, the atmo extends 1.64x higher, which was based on (slightly incorrect) linear interpolation between stock's 70km atmo and RSS's 140km.
	// Overall, my settings are a little bit more aggressive than others who run 6.4x, who have slightly lower atmospheres (and lower terrain).

// Don't forget to also change your reentry heating settings! (not, to my knowledge, handled by Sigma).
	atmoTopLayer = 1.312

// Atmospheric effects are 1.3x higher than stock. Should be about the same as the stock atmo multiplier.
	atmoVisualEffect = 1.3

// Just use the resize parameter for adjusting ScanSat.
	scanAltitude = 1
}

I could make a list of posts that explain how all the features work, but I probably won't add stuff to the settings cfg to keep it as simple as possible

ultimately SD was never supposed to be a tool for users, it was intended to be a tool for modders who want to make resized systems.

sadly, after I started SD those kind of mods fell into disuse (mostly) which is why people tend to consider SD a substitude for those mods

here's a more detailed explanation of how atmoTopLayer works

37 minutes ago, Knezz said:

Hey, i installed sigma because of stock size rss... but my launch pad is now really small and the sun is too big! How do i fix this?

Are you using SSRSS? Or are you making your own rescaled RSS?

3 minutes ago, Knezz said:

Im using SSRSS

Ok, so try asking them if this is an intended feature. If it is I can tell you how to change it. If it is not then I'll tell them how to fix it so in future other people wont have this issue

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Ok, so try asking them if this is an intended feature. If it is I can tell you how to change it. If it is not then I'll tell them how to fix it so in future other people wont have this issue

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm not having this issue, so I'm unsure what is causing this for you. 

9 minutes ago, Knezz said:

Thanks

Post a screenshot of your gamedata folder to the SSRSS thread when you get a chance

Edited by Galileo

I love this mod, When I first downloaded it i was worried all the detail was going to be washed out when going 6x or so but not so.  Recently I've made a career modlist with an unhealthy amount of mods in it.  The problem is when i add Interstellar adventure revived with this one.  To say the least i can't load up a new game to play anything, and on startup it gives multiple errors between the two.  Here is a log file with only the two https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0md5dgu6uqb7g6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Is there anyway to make these two mods play nice together?