Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

1 hour ago, garithmar said:

I love this mod, When I first downloaded it i was worried all the detail was going to be washed out when going 6x or so but not so.  Recently I've made a career modlist with an unhealthy amount of mods in it.  The problem is when i add Interstellar adventure revived with this one.  To say the least i can't load up a new game to play anything, and on startup it gives multiple errors between the two.  Here is a log file with only the two https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0md5dgu6uqb7g6/output_log.txt?dl=0

Is there anyway to make these two mods play nice together?

generally speaking planet packs in kopernicus can get away with a bunch of errors and still load (the errors are still there, you just are not notified about them at startup)

adding SD changes everything since it will make MM go crazy if it finds some errors in how the planets are defined

this is actually a useful side-effect of SD, I managed to pinpoint a lot of bugs in RSS by just loading it with SD

in this case I would guess there are problems with the cfgs of IAR which are found by SD when loading and notified by MM

the solution would be for @ProtoJeb21 to take a look at those configs that have errors and try to understand why SD has problems with his mod

If you manage to find that it's actually a SD issue I will fix everything

I will also take a look when I get some free time, just to make sure it's not a SD issue, but I can't give you an ETA since I'm a bit busy in this period (easter and everything)

EDIT:

@garithmar could you please send me the mm cache as well? the one you get when you don't have SD installed

thanks

Edited by Sigma88

Nice then that means your mod is even good as a diagnostics tool.  Heres the log with and without sigma installed I'll contact @ProtoJeb21 and give him the same info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eejiffr09cs1tpl/with sigma KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t91tv9nplh0yv8x/without sigma KSP.log?dl=0

I'm trying to find a planets pack that adds other solar systems and been testing some out any suggestions?  Ones that work well with SD.

Question... what is the difference between atmospheric height, and atmospheric depth?

If I don't touch the atmo settings under "advanced settings" and just change atmo height by 3, may I assume that the atmosphere curve is the same, just with every height value multiplied by 3? 

or does it just raise the limit at which the game considers the atmosphere to end... leaving a large region of very very low drag atmosphere?

7 hours ago, garithmar said:

Nice then that means your mod is even good as a diagnostics tool.  Heres the log with and without sigma installed I'll contact @ProtoJeb21 and give him the same info.

I'm trying to find a planets pack that adds other solar systems and been testing some out any suggestions?  Ones that work well with SD.

I'm sorry, but I believe that IA-Revived is not compatible with Sigma Dimensions.

19 hours ago, garithmar said:

I will need the ModuleManager.ConfigCache as well (for the install without SD)

13 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Question... what is the difference between atmospheric height, and atmospheric depth?

no idea, they seem the same to me, did you find those in SD?

If I don't touch the atmo settings under "advanced settings" and just change atmo height by 3, may I assume that the atmosphere curve is the same, just with every height value multiplied by 3? 

yes this is how the "Atmosphere" parameter works

or does it just raise the limit at which the game considers the atmosphere to end... leaving a large region of very very low drag atmosphere?

to get this effect you would need to use the parameter "atmoTopLayer" 

20 hours ago, garithmar said:

I forgot about this part  of the question

the only one that comes to mind is otherworlds, but I don't know how outdated that is

FYI, Sigma Dimensions is mildly incompatible with Stock Visual Terrain. I'm going to drop a note on that thread too.

Basically, because SVT's module manager configs act after SigDim's, the PQS sections get two "Mods" and two "Material" blocks, which seems to result in completely flat textures. i.e. the ground around KSC is visible, but it is a textureless green.

I seem to have fixed the issue (have only tested around KSC) by removing the ":FOR[SVT] block from SVT's configs, which makes them happen first in the :LEGACY section of module manager's work. Then SigDim operates on them and everything seems fine.

This problem stems from the fact that MM works in alphabetical order. I'll leave it to Sigma and Galileo to work out a permanent solution to this. 

When I have this mod and Scatterer installed, the Stock sunflare overrides the Scatterer one, making it really ugly. I thought this was just an issue with Kopernicus, but with just Kopernicus and Scatterer it works fine. Any ideas on how to fix it?

36 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

When I have this mod and Scatterer installed, the Stock sunflare overrides the Scatterer one, making it really ugly. I thought this was just an issue with Kopernicus, but with just Kopernicus and Scatterer it works fine. Any ideas on how to fix it?

The scatterer sunflare does not scale with Sigma dimensions. You will need to scale the sun flare manually in the sunflare cfg. The instructions are included in the actual cfg

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

The scatterer sunflare does not scale with Sigma dimensions. You will need to scale the sun flare manually in the sunflare cfg. The instructions are included in the actual cfg

I don't see any instruction cfg. Could you list the steps to scale it here please?

6 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

I don't see any instruction cfg. Could you list the steps to scale it here please?

Can't because I'm not on my pc. If you open the Sun.cfg in the sunflare folder, there are instructions. 

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Can't because I'm not on my pc. If you open the Sun.cfg in the sunflare folder, there are instructions.

In the .cfg, there are comments in the code, but no actual instructions. Do I need to modify the flareSettings value and spikeSettings value? They have 3 numbers in front of them, like this:

flareSettings = 0.6,1,0.7

spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

7 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

In the .cfg, there are comments in the code, but no actual instructions. Do I need to modify the flareSettings value and spikeSettings value? They have 3 numbers in front of them, like this:

flareSettings = 0.6,1,0.7

spikesSettings = 0.6,1,1

The last value is the one you need to change for both settings.  Make the value smaller to make the sun flare textures larger. 

About altitude tresholds: Sigma seems to alter them too. But what if I don't want that?. I have a conflict with this (lent from RSS for my 6.4 game)

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%ScienceValues
			{
				%flyingAltitudeThreshold = 50000
				%spaceAltitudeThreshold = 1000000//35786000

%landedDataValue = 0.1//0.00001
				%splashedDataValue = 0.1//0.00001
				%flyingLowDataValue = 0.25
				%flyingHighDataValue = 0.5
				%inSpaceLowDataValue = 0.75
				%inSpaceHighDataValue = 1.0
				%recoveryValue = 1.0

}
		}
	}
}

Now my altitudes in game are very high. Kerbins high altitude begins after its first moon.

Do you have any idea how to deal with this? Maybe a slightly different config is needed.

@New Horizons if I understand the situation correctly this is what's going on:

you change some values on a stock sized system to be the values you want in a 6.4x system, and then you feed this hybrid system to SD to get it rescaled to 6.4x size

your options are:

1- apply your modifications after SD (so that they override SD modifications)

2- apply your modifications before SD but using numbers that are smaller so that when SD changes them they become the numbers you want in your final 6.4x system

22 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

I already thought about something like that. The question is: Which factor does Sigma use to alter the treshold heights?

It calculates the distance from the center and multiplies it by the rescale parameter

If you use the same number for resize and rescale you can just divide your threshold by that number

If you use different numbers it gets a bit more complicated

Hi thanks for all your hard work.  I looked through a few pages and read what was on page 28.  I am using Sigma, Kopernicus, SSRSS, SCANsat, there are others but my problem is the altitude max height for the radar scan is only 47km.  Is there any fix for this?  It's not game-breaking but still annoying.  I also assume the other scanners are also out.  I tried removing the rescalescansat.cfg it fixed the altitudes but then the radar scan wouldn't work at all.  I have no idea how to code so I need help.  I can get you any logs you need actually I'm not even sure how to attach something to a comment here Sorry for being a noob

Edited by StephanVonKermann
addition

4 hours ago, DocRockwell said:

So the Atmosphere and AtmoTopLayer settings do the same thing, as far as you know?

no, Atmosphere and AtmoTopLayer are definitely different things and I gave a brief explanation in the same thread you quoted

if you need a more detailed description here are some useful posts 1 2 3

KerikBalm was talking about "Atmospheric height" vs "Atmospheric depth" which are not terms used in SD as far as I remember, and honestly they sound like they are describing the same thing to me

On 4/26/2017 at 8:33 AM, StephanVonKermann said:

Hi thanks for all your hard work.  I looked through a few pages and read what was on page 28.  I am using Sigma, Kopernicus, SSRSS, SCANsat, there are others but my problem is the altitude max height for the radar scan is only 47km.  Is there any fix for this?  It's not game-breaking but still annoying.  I also assume the other scanners are also out.  I tried removing the rescalescansat.cfg it fixed the altitudes but then the radar scan wouldn't work at all.  I have no idea how to code so I need help.  I can get you any logs you need actually I'm not even sure how to attach something to a comment here Sorry for being a noob

I forgot how ScanSat limits work to be honest, I'll ask the developer to refresh my mind so that I can check if SD is doing what it's supposed to

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

no, Atmosphere and AtmoTopLayer are definitely different things and I gave a brief explanation in the same thread you quoted

if you need a more detailed description here are some useful posts 1 2 3

KerikBalm was talking about "Atmospheric height" vs "Atmospheric depth" which are not terms used in SD as far as I remember, and honestly they sound like they are describing the same thing to me

I forgot how ScanSat limits work to be honest, I'll ask the developer to refresh my mind so that I can check if SD is doing what it's supposed to

Ah I understand now, thanks for the references. Pardon my ignorance, the first post describes those parameters as controlling atmosphere height and depth, hence my confusion when I saw the other post. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, DocRockwell said:

the first post describes those parameters as controlling atmosphere height and depth

thank you for pointing that out, I probably never bothered to check that all parameters used the same terminology so I ended up using 2 different terms I will fix that in the OP and from the next release it will be fixed in the README file as well

On 4/26/2017 at 8:33 AM, StephanVonKermann said:

so, SD should multiply all the altitude limits by the parameters scanAltitude and Resize

if what you are seeing does not fit this behaviour please get in contact with me so we can take a deeper look

@Galileo just to be sure, SSRSS doesn't mess with scanSat stuff right?

Edited by Sigma88