Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

The biggest thing I will miss from the old forums is the ability to view the forums without logging in or even registering if I didn't want to.  Now that registration is required, I don't think Google search is going to work on the forums, which I used quite a bit...

2 minutes ago, cantab said:

Ugh. This is a forum, not Twitbook. "Like", "Follow", "Status", and all that don't belong here IMHO.

Also, seems like the warning/infraction system is misbehaving a bit. I'm being asked to "acknowledge" warnings from months ago, and it's saying I've got points when they expired months ago on the old forum's system.

I saw the same thing with the warning/infraction system. Probably just because it's new.

3 minutes ago, kerdansig said:

The biggest thing I will miss from the old forums is the ability to view the forums without logging in or even registering if I didn't want to.  Now that registration is required, I don't think Google search is going to work on the forums, which I used quite a bit...

This'll be fixed soon. The first surge of members rushing in to post brought the forums to its knees all on its own. Guests will have to wait a couple of hours :)

4 minutes ago, smjjames said:

I saw the same thing with the warning/infraction system. Probably just because it's new.

Most likely so, I'll add it to the list. Because it's not a critical or reoccuring issue it's low on my list though.

1 minute ago, cantab said:

Am I seeing the same thread in two places? That's *really* confusing.

Yes, that was me not being fully aware of how the new content moderation system works.

5 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

Taste cannot be argued

I would say the current design is not very easy to read, a complaint which goes beyond taste and into the area of function.

It`s too pastel, needs more contrast, especially between post background and main forum background.

6 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

I can't be the only one that hates this look. The old one felt way better and easier to navigate and understand.

Everybody hates change, that's never going to change.  Have a positive attitude and give it a chance!

Just now, John FX said:

I would say the current design is not very easy to read, a complaint which goes beyond taste and into the area of function.

It`s too pastel, needs more contrast, especially between post background and main forum background.

Hopefully there are forum style settings that can be chosen, but yeah, I'm adding my voice to those not liking the forum layout very much.

6 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

If you open the WYSIWIG editor you'll see a small imgur logo on the far right side of the toolbar. Click that to add imgur albums :)

Yes, I had already found it. But is there a way to edit in normal format instead of WYSIWYG? For example, I want to remove the font code in one of my topics and return to default. There is no way to choose fonts, but the code is active.

47 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

Hello everyone!

The migration is now all but complete, welcome to the new forums! It's cost me my weekend but overall I'm happy with the results. There are still a few issues to work through, but I'm sure we'll be able to get this forum fully operational over the next week. Please use this topic to report issues or missing features.

Known issues:

• [No Fix] It seems that due to a hiccough with the UTF-8 threads in the International forum and elsewhere that used non-latin characters look scrambled. Users need to fix this themselves
  • [No Fix] Posts which used custom bb-code may need to be reformatted.
  • [No Fix] Because thread and post IDs were reset, old links will not work.
  • [Investigating] Developer articles page is not working properly.
  • [Investigating] The most recent posts have not had their bb-codes converted
  • [Planned] Official posts will need to be updated.

You guys should get in touch with Google so they know to re-index the forums so they aren't giving stale search results.

I'm not convinced by a couple of the forum moves. I feel that pushing "Gameplay Questions and Tutorials" down will just result in more newcomers asking their questions in "General KSP Discussion", indeed I'd say there's a case for making Gameplay Questions one of the first forums listed. Burying "Welcome Aboard" seems like it will really discourage its use.

Just now, smjjames said:

Hopefully there are forum style settings that can be chosen, but yeah, I'm adding my voice to those not liking the forum layout very much.

That would solve my issues with the new forum very neatly, if we could choose our own palette then people with poor eyesight for example would not be made disabled by the site design.

Just registered, figured the forum migration would be a good time to do so. I noticed that the forums nor the login/signup page are over SSL; is there any plan to implement an SSL certificate on the forums for secure login? Leaving it in plaintext is just asking for trouble... even a self-signed certificate would be a place to start. And heck, if you guys need some cash for a legit cert, let me know and I'll chip in a few bucks... Thanks for all of your hard work!

Edited by yokken

10 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

This'll be fixed soon. The first surge of members rushing in to post brought the forums to its knees all on its own. Guests will have to wait a couple of hours :)

Kasper & admins,

I noticed that you are using Nginx.  If you are having problems, feel free to contact me, I work with this stuff daily (nginx, apache, linux, etc)

5 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Yes, I had already found it. But is there a way to edit in normal format instead of WYSIWYG? For example, I want to remove the font code in one of my topics and return to default. There is no way to choose fonts, but the code is active.

Let me enable the "remove formatting" button :)

4 minutes ago, Acea said:

Are link numbers in a post limited now?

Now I can only have up to 7 links in one post and more would disappear after submitted.

That I will look into immediately.

2 minutes ago, yokken said:

Just registered, figured the forum migration would be a good time to do so. I noticed that the forums nor the login/signup page are over SSL; is there any plan to implement an SSL certificate on the forums for secure login? Leaving it in plaintext is just asking for trouble... even a self-signed certificate would be a place to start. And heck, if you guys need some cash for a legit cert, let me know and I'll chip in a few bucks... Thanks for all of your hard work!

That's a long-term goal.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Kasper & admins,

I noticed that you are using Nginx.  If you are having problems, feel free to contact me, I work with this stuff daily (nginx, apache, linux, etc)

Thanks! We have a managed hosting solution though, so all should be good :)

They say first impressions count.

My first impression is that I hate the new look, it feels very awkward to use compared to vBulletin, phpBB, and others.  Everything seems to make horrendously awful use of space, with zero effort to actually maximise the amount of information which can be on screen (far too much white space on index pages, feels like considerably less than half the information presented per screenful/page).

This looks like a huge step backwards to me, piling on a bunch of glossy but entirely unnecessary features and junking the elegant simplicity and optimal/efficient layout.  Overall, I detest the look and feel of it, it really puts me off using it.  Thumbs down, 1/10, poor effort!

The WYSIWYG editor is... less than ideal. :(

The first thing I did when I got onto the forums was to update my signature with an updated link to the thread, so clicking it won't send you into Nirvana. Now imagine my surprise when... the old link... was simply not displayed anymore. Not anywhere. It was impossibple to edit in the text field itself. Nor was it possible to edit any of the properties of the displayed image.

So I had to completely delete my signature, save that, then restore it from scratch... a process that was hindered by multiple instances of a "There was a problem loading this content" error when trying to create a hyperlink. Eventually it went through without the error, but instead of the simply copy&paste job it should have been, I spent several minutes confused and ended up having to do many more clicks to get the same result.

This mirrors my experience from many years of websurfing. I've never seen  a WYSIWYG editor anywhere that came close to the level of comfort and speed of workflow of a plain text editor. This one, I am sad to say, is no different. I suppose I'll get used to the reduced user comfort, but it's disappointing all the same.