Welcome to the new forums!

KasperVld

I don't mind any of the changes except for the forced WYSIWYG editor. Can't it be an option? I don't even mind if it's the default, I just want a button somewhere to toggle it or something. Otherwise, I'm fine with everything else, and I actually think its an improvement.

Im going to be honest, and say that im not a fan of the new forum.  Links are broken, and well, i just dont like the new look.  That, and i keep randomly getting 502 bad gateway errors here and there, making it near impossible to stay logged in for any more then a short time (before the server decides to 502 me off it).

Provided the 502 bug gets fixed ill stop "hating" the new forum, but until then its just impossible to do anything here reliably.

Finally, please do something about embedded imgur albums, those are ESSENTIAL for 2 reasons, it lets people show off more then one image, and it minimizes the amount of posts that involve image spam (as in single post with 10+ images or so).

7 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Im going to be honest, and say that im not a fan of the new forum.  Links are broken, and well, i just dont like the new look.  That, and i keep randomly getting 502 bad gateway errors here and there, making it near impossible to stay logged in for any more then a short time (before the server decides to 502 me off it).

Provided the 502 bug gets fixed ill stop "hating" the new forum, but until then its just impossible to do anything here reliably.

Finally, please do something about embedded imgur albums, those are ESSENTIAL for 2 reasons, it lets people show off more then one image, and it minimizes the amount of posts that involve image spam (as in single post with 10+ images or so).

I'm working on the 502 errors. They're server-side errors, not directly related to the forum software. You can embed imgur albums just fine, just click the imgur logo on the right hand side of the editor toolbar :)

1 hour ago, KasperVld said:

There is no restriction applied to the age of posts you can edit, as far as I'm aware. Can anyone confirm this?

This is the message I am getting when trying to edit my messages of a few days ago in the Spanish subforum:

"This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

11 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I'm working on the 502 errors. They're server-side errors, not directly related to the forum software. You can embed imgur albums just fine, just click the imgur logo on the right hand side of the editor toolbar :)

I figured as much. I'm doubting it's because the back-end's IP is changing, so maybe a bet on zone provisioning? Hope you guys get it worked out.

While I'm not exactly thrilled about the new look, it's just a matter of time before I get used to it. One thing I must say I really do like is that the session no longer times-out ... that used to be a major problem for me, writing up a post, hitting submit, then finding out my session had timed out.

4 hours ago, KasperVld said:
  • [No Fix] Because thread and post IDs were reset, old links will not work

What would it take to change this to "Planned"?

You're going to lose a lot of Google traffic, and your rankings.  Surely it can't be more effort to than it's worth to implement link redirection.  Not to mention it would help avoid pissing off all your users.

Also, search is not working (do we have to wait for everything to be indexed?)

E.g. I tried to find an old post titled "Problem with decoupler ejection force units?" and first it said not found, then on attempt 2 it said "Please wait 11 seconds before submitting another search" (seriously??) then after that it said "Something went wrong" with EX2 error.

This is the thread I'm trying to locate: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69099-Problem-with-decoupler-ejection-force-units

I'm also getting the same error when I try to update my LiveStream settings:

c5lOWM8.png

Edited by Fwiffo
Add image

3 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

Also, search is not working (do we have to wait for everything to be indexed?)

E.g. I tried to find an old post titled "Problem with decoupler ejection force units?" and first it said not found, then on attempt 2 it said "Please wait 11 seconds before submitting another search" (seriously??) then after that it said "Something went wrong".

This is the thread I'm trying to locate: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69099-Problem-with-decoupler-ejection-force-units

I asked on IRC and yeah we have to wait for things to be indexed.

Also, how do we resize the quickreply box? I liked that feature in the old forum.

Edit: Oh yeah, when the forums came back up, the articles disappeared.

Edited by smjjames

2 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

What would it take to change this to "Planned"?

You're going to lose a lot of Google traffic, and your rankings.  Surely it can't be more effort to than it's worth to implement link redirection.  Not to mention it would help avoid pissing off all your users.

I have to agree. This would be a kraken-sized task, but would be very, very helpful. I think it should be based on traffic, pages that are linked to more often should have redirects set up quickly. Threads that very few things link to should probably just get a "We're sorry, this link has burned up in reentry." message or something similar. This could be made into a community project to make it faster.

12 minutes ago, SpaceNomad said:

I'm missing a topic: Altitude boundary charts for science and warp speeds.

Searching for either "altitude", "boundary" or "charts" in topic titles does not find it ("boundary" does not give any result).

I meant to add this to the first post: the posts are currently being indexed for the search engine, so search results aren't reliable at this point. I expect this'll take 3-4 more hours.

11 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

Lots of 502 errors can't find the link to my subscribed threads is that feature not available anymore 

Subscribed threads can be found by choosing activity in the main menu and then selecting the "my activity streams" dropdown :)

Unless I am missing something it does not seem we can preview posts before we submit them. Is this correct or am I just dumb/blind?

Forget I said that.... we literally see the preview as we make it *facepalm**facepalm**facepalm**facepalm*

Edited by Nhawks17

2 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Unless I am missing something it does not seem we can preview posts before we submit them. Is this correct or am I just dumb/blind?

I can't find that either. This could be a huge issue in making longer sized posts :(

2 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

How do we edit our sigs?  Thanks!

Click on your name top right, account settings and signature; and you'll have an awesome WYSIWYG editor to make your sig more beautiful than ever !! (yes that was sarcasm)

Nope... not buying it. Sorry.

First, you take all the fun out of this place by getting us to agree to new conditions... I'd too afraid to even fart lest I get banned... I mean, I'm only human, I'm not a robot!!!

Not good....

Then, every time I tried to post... I got a bad gateway message.

I miss the old forums... I want them back, I knew how to use that. This is.... just not the same. :(

This edit box is... confusing! Where is the YOUtube cose and the image code and the reputation thing and ....

I hate change. I won;t be frequenting this site as much any more, in protest. WHY? Why change something that worked? It feels like you ripped the soul and heart out of this community. :(

EDIT: If I get one more bad gateway message OR having to wait 5 minutes for a post to save... I will refuse to come back till the BEST forums are put back again, this pale imitation is utter c**p! :(

Edited by kiwi1960
Screw this!

Unfortunately I've not been able to give the new forum a thorough test due to the 502 errors constantly happening.

What I will say though is that the lack of BB code support (or at least conversion for old posts) and broken links is a major deal breaker for me. As a modder I don't have the time to spend going through all my posts to manually update everything. So what am I supposed to do, divert my time from modding to do it, or just leave everything as is?

Also, has the advanced edit page been removed due to it being a wysiwyg only editor?

Edit: Regarding links, any chance of adding redirects for the old URLs if it's not possible to get the current paths to match up with the old style forum ones? At the moment you're basically asking everyone on the internet that has something tied to KSP to update their URLs, be it modders, youtubers, streamers etc.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

I tried to make a post earlier, but apparently it got wiped out by the 502 fun.

Anyway, the gist was: WYSIWYG editor is a pain.  I always turned it off, especially for editing the initial post of a mod thread to help with making things responsive enough that I could be sure that it was updating properly AND so that I could be sure that the formatting was right because I could see where the BB code markers ended.  I have no control over this anymore, and frankly, that's a huge step backwards.  Not to mention all the links that are busted.

The nice thing about forums was always the lack of silly formatting shenanigans.  Why bring it here?