Squadcast Summary for 2015/11/26 - The News-Free Edition

Superfluous J

My first post on the new forums!

Every 15 minutes I drop a time stamp, so if you can find a spot in the video more easily. Something in "quotes" means it was directly said, though I frequently don't bother with that. I removed all formatting. Until the forum allows me to directly enter tags I'm not going to bother with it. If you want to watch the episode yourself, you can find it at http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/profile/past_broadcasts

Squadcast was just under an hour.
0:00
Squadcast starts with a screen that says "MAXMAPS" on it.
He's doing Sandbox, to build an all-stock turkey.
Dr_Turkey adds himself to the title screen at about 9:20 (Nothing much happens before this)
He starts playing at about 12:00
He goes to the VAB.
He discusses music on Twitch. Decides not to due to DMCA notices.
The plan is to take the Turkey to Mun.
He asks TriggerAU about what he's working on
TriggerAU: Working on 3 things
1) Helping Ted and the QA team, escalating things tothe right people
2) Doing actual testing.

15:00
3) KSPedia. He had to learn a lot, and even what he knew he had to figure out how to explain it so anybody can understand it. Explaining the Oberth Effect can be hard.
The turkey rocket is coming along, but so far looks nothing like an actual turkey.
He's doing "onion or asparagus layering."
He adds extra turkey feet, which the chat realizes means more turkey legs for Thanksgiving.
The rocket has 4 mainsails for 5 orange tanks.
And it looks nothing like a turkey. Not even a soy turkey.
Also his strutting is going to encourage rotation.
The video cut to mid-launch. His ship was spinning out of control. I'm not surprised but I din't see what happened exactly.
He reverts, and launches again.
His 3 outer mainsails are going, but not the central one. He activates it manually.
The ship is surprisingly stable.
He launches straight up to 10km, then... continues going straight up.
He drops the side tanks when they run out, at about 25km going 900m/s straight up.
Actually he doesn't drop them so much as explode his whole ship. I think there may have been clipping.
"Now it looks like a turkey."
Note: The ship looks nothing like a turkey.
He decides to try putting the whole thing in a fairing.

30:00
He adds a fairing, but not the decoupler between it and the engine.
He also adds 2 jumbo wings. I am terrified.
He wants to add more power. For some reason.
He adds 6 SRBs.
They're giving away copies of the game.
He launches. Acceleration is high.
The rocket flips over, then flips again. He's essentially hovering 1km up.
"It was going so well."
Dr. Turkey you have an odd definition of "Well."
The Kerbals live somehow.
He reverts to launch for some reason.
He launches again, and flips over at about 2km. Then everything explodes.
Back to the VAB.
He opts to start using SAS parts. Because the problem was that he wasn't going fast enough. :D
He remembers the decoupler between the rocket and fairing this time.

45:00
Launch!
TWR is like 2.
SRBs die, he throttles up.
He drops the side tanks, they slide down and somehow don't kill the center stack.
He cranks over only after reaching space.
They give away another code.
He reaches orbit somehow. A better launch would probably get this ship to Jool. I think he'll make it to Mun.
Except he burns way too much, and puts his Ap way too high.
He's trying to quickly catch up to Mun. He knows it's going to come back around, right?
These noises he's making are kinda crazy.
He time warps too much and collides with Kerbin at high warp.

(Huh. It appears signatures were not transferred)

Edited by 5thHorseman

This was a hard one to watch. Some constructive feedback I guess, from watching the recorded version, and not the live version...

Please don't edit the video, let it play like it happened live. It is very disjointed.

I watch to hear about the game development, and not just watch rockets flip into space. Please talk about the game progress a bit more. You had three people on the cast, and all we know is that maybe we are on Unity 5.3, but only if mystery voice #2 'read it correctly'.

Dr. Turkey, we will connect with you much more as a community if we know what you look like, and can see that you are a real person, with real feelings that can be hurt when we say mean things. It also helps us not to say mean things.

finally, Squadcast should not be an afterthought. It really felt like that with this one. Please take some time to fix the overlay prior to stream, and have your ducks in a row, as if this was a status meeting in the office, with your colleagues. We are spending our time with you, and not to just watch you play the game. I appreciate what a Producer does in the world of software development, maybe there needs to be a true PR person as well, who can spend a bit more time with the public?

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

If the formatting is a problem, I suggest just the news and forget the gameplay commentary.  There is not much point to a synopsis that you need a synopsis of.

Yeah, this would be good. I think most people are wanting any news on updates and stuff. It would save you some typing if you only did the important stuff, 

I will continue to do the asides and commentary, if only so there's SOMETHING to post. Also, if people complain enough maybe they'll give us some non-wysiwyganm* editing choices.

Also, I like doing them. I like them separate, more than all mashed together, but I like them mashed together than not there at all.

*what you see is what you get and no more

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.