Post Length Limit Needed

nightingale

As far as I can tell, there is no limit on post length.  Found this out when someone posted an entire log file for a support request in the Contract Configurator thread (this post).  Aside from the fact that it's probably pretty rough on your servers, it was a pretty terrible user experience - it caused the whole page to get really slow.  Worse, when I replied it kept the spoiler'ed log in the quote (although it didn't initially appear to).  So I inadvertently made it even worse, and had to go back and edit the post (which again, was painfully slow).

Instituting a post-length limit would probably be a good thing for all involved.

The thing is, if there is an upper limit added, it still needs to be pretty large. Most of the mod release threads have a fairly large OP, since it'll contain part lists, information, and revision histories. If it's a large enough post, the author will often use spoiler tags and the like. But I'd hate to have to start removing information because of a too-strict size limit.

I'm not sure where the best balance is.

5 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

The thing is, if there is an upper limit added, it still needs to be pretty large. Most of the mod release threads have a fairly large OP, since it'll contain part lists, information, and revision histories. If it's a large enough post, the author will often use spoiler tags and the like. But I'd hate to have to start removing information because of a too-strict size limit.

I'm not sure where the best balance is.

I'm 95% sure the old forum had a limit, and I never hit it in the Contract Configurator OP (the changelog is ~ 45KB).  So whatever it was set to on the old forum would probably be good enough.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.