Designflaws of the new forum on smartphones

Elthy

I tried to use the new forum on my smartphone, but i have several issues that make it very hard to use. I want to bring your attention to them so they can be fixed.
Im using the forum on my 2013 HTC One m7 with Firefox. It has a 1920*1080 screen, which is currently mainstream for smartphones, so i assume i talk for many. I have to options to display the forum, with the mobile version (as it is default on smartphones) or by enforcing the desktopversion, which i can only do with my browser and has to be refreshed everytime i closed it.

Here i post the same forum area, mobile version left, desktop version right. I edited them to mark stuff ill write about beneath them.

oNbyHwn.jpg1EGoY4q.jpg

As you can see the mobile Version has a realy big issue, it displays almost nothing. I can see the names of 4 subforums (and their postcount), and when somebody (we only get a profilepicture) replied to ANYTHING in there the last time.
The desktopversion shows 7 subforums, which is ok, but almost half the width gets covered by the last devblogs. Make that smaller, maybe you will fit 2 additional subforums on the screen..

UnqIUSK.jpgJhu1s5Z.jpg

Again, the mobile forum manages to fit 4,5 threads on 1920 pixels height, as you can see with the desktop version much more is possible. Also only the profile picture of the last reply, not the name. While the desktop version shows much more it still wastes lots of area for literaly nothing, i marked it red.

1wKGG2B.jpg7ZPlsDP.jpg

Here we have some posts in one of the Threads. The mobile version cant even display 2 posts with almost no text on one page (remember, 1920 pixel!). Most of the page is filled with withe areas, i marked them red in case you missed them :D.
The dekstop version shows way more stuff, almost 6 posts, which limnits the scrolling to something reasonable.

As i have shown the mobile version is almost unusable, my finger still hurts from scrolling to those posts in the 1.0.5 discussion and it lacks information. The desktopversion has its flaws, too, but is usable. We just need something to set it as our default (why cant i delete the line between "de-fault"?) and to delte those unused spaces.

Excellent post. Describes exactly what i feel on mobile ! I have the same issue : i also have a phone with a huge screen (one plus one) and yet i can only see 2posts max at a time, with only 1line per post.

It's worse when writing a post because the text is displayed even bigger and two white spaces appear on the sides. Add to that the extra space taken by the virtual keyboard... And you can read a few lines at a time maxi.

-except i can't access desktop version from my mobile... My browser is Android chrome but i can't get the desktop version whatever i try to do. How did you do it ?

I must also report that the text editor is unbearable on mobile : spaces magically disappear and letters auto-duplicate. Also, quickly pressing "delete" 2 or 3 times will very often delete letters from the previous word instead of the letters directly behind it. Did that happen to you too ?

6 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Im using Firefox, it has a simple checkbox to activate desktop mode.

Chrome does the same thing, but on this particular website, it doesn't work. I'm gonna try firefox !

EDIT : works perfectly. Thanks !

Edited by Hcube

8 minutes ago, mythbusters844 said:

In addition, there's no way to preview posts, and it's also impossible to edit posts right after you post them.

In theory your post is its own preview (though the actual post does look different.

I have edited posts immediately after posting, so not sure what the problem is there for you.

EDIT: See?

Edited by 5thHorseman

On an iPhone here. Having trouble viewing in forum in web view. Moble    

drives 

me

bonkers. Assistance would be appreciated

I am also experiencing bad issues on mobile : (it seems to be impossible to make lines spaces so my post won't have any of them) Example : 1)i want to answer to someone and quote them. 2)the quote appears in the editor but weirdly i can't write any text... When i press keys, nothing happens. 3)i want to cancel and start over, without the quote to see if it works better. 4) There is no cancel button, so i reload the page. 5) the editor saved what i had written, aka nothing, and the quote is still here, impossible to delete it. 6)i restart my browser to try again 7)it still remembers the message i had started to "write.     END OF STORY: i don't feel like erasing all cookies from my computer and i am unable to post any more messages on that particular thread. A little annoying to say the least. Needless to say none of the WYSISYG buttons work at all. And it's not like i have an obsolete phone, i could understand this happening on my old iPhone 3G, but on a recent phone ? If this doesn't get better i'll be muted on any topic where i have the bad reflex of clicking the " quote" button.  Am I the only one in this situation ? Also, am i the only one whose "enter" button has no effect ?

Edited by Hcube
typo (auto moving cursor drives me crazy)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.