Will KSP 1.1 allow for user created destruction and craters?

I was thinking about the extra power and memory coming to KSP 1.1 and asteroids and things of great energy.

Will the change all for mods to be created so that if a large asteroid or the BD Armory mods bomb hit on a surface. It would create persistent damage?

Or barring from that, because I assume it would require extra textures. Would it be possible to have realistic explosions, mushroom clouds shock wave type things propagating out?  

My (horrid) dream is to bring a super sized asteroid and great speed towards Kerbin and watch the fiery shock wave travel around the plant.

Probably not, as this has not been mentioned or spoken about in the weekly Devnotes, on twitter / Facebook / Reddit, or on dev streams.

On a slightly unrelated note, it is unlikely that 1.1 and Unity 5 will bring massive performance gains or unleash your RAM. The changes that occured in Unity 5 are drastic, but physics-wise we are still hampered by the fact that only 1 thread can be dedicated to a ship for physics calculations, so large ships will still be very slow. Not to dash your hopes or anything, but that's unfortunately how it is.

I guess that question was more geared towards the modding community. 

Would it even be possible for an enthusiast modder to create something capable like that.

I saw someones nuke mod on reddit. And thought it was awesome, i just yurned for prettier.

And that kerbal terrain system looks like its on the right track! 

I know the Unity engine is still only one ship per thread, but i the engine will support multiple thread per game. Two separate ships will be handled by two separate threads until docked.

Edited by scribbleheli

4 minutes ago, Spuds said:

Probably not, as this has not been mentioned or spoken about in the weekly Devnotes, on twitter / Facebook / Reddit, or on dev streams.

On a slightly unrelated note, it is unlikely that 1.1 and Unity 5 will bring massive performance gains or unleash your RAM. The changes that occured in Unity 5 are drastic, but physics-wise we are still hampered by the fact that only 1 thread can be dedicated to a ship for physics calculations, so large ships will still be very slow. Not to dash your hopes or anything, but that's unfortunately how it is.

Sorry but do you have a source for that?

Unity 5 implements Physx 3.3, which as far as I am concerned does have multithreaded physics processing.

It's yet unknown how it's going to be handled on KSP 1.1, but at least a gain in performance when multiple craft are active at the same time is expected.

@scribbleheli: it's unlikely that we will get dynamic craters anytime soon if at all, terrain deformation is something very complex, and I am not sure if it would be possible with the way KSP currently implements planets.

I dont have a solid source. I have read it supported multiple times. But can in no way remember if one of those reads was from a dev. 

So we can call it hoping and a rumor, at least from me.

Heres one thing I read.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3r1xbe/ksp_11_and_unity_5/

Edited by scribbleheli

One could always do "deformable" terrain the way the first Red Faction did it - using meshes to subtract from the existing ground. There are limitations (like bullet holes or rocket scorches there are only so many you can create before the game runs out of RAM) but it's relatively simple and as Red Faction 1 can prove it can run on old machines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.