What mods should I get?

I've posted a similar post today, forgive my repetitiveness.  I just want a bit of a jumpstart to get what I think would give me the most fun with KSP.   What parts and add-ons are people most into now?  I trust there's a similar thread I can be referred to?

Thanks!

If you are into military stuff try BD Armory by BahamotoD. Its a weapons pack that also lets you fight enemy AIs and soon™ he will be adding an ability to fly in formations like actually fighter squadrons.

Two mods I would defiantly recommend though hyper edit, and vessel mover as they are great for moving crafts around and testing them without having to do all the time consuming work to get ready to test them (ex….want to test shuttle reentry? hyper edit puts the craft in orbit so you don't have to do all the launching)

if none of those sound interesting check out this guy on youtube as he does mod reviews
https://www.youtube.com/user/KottabosGames/featured

• 2 weeks later...

Mech Jeb 2.  Real space missions fly with a flight computer.  MJ2 provides the flight computer KSP failed to incorporate.  Even if you don't use MJ2 to fly your vessel, it's real value is planning flight maneuvers; the Maneuver Editor is excellent.  Also, I suggest Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAC), KDATA, and EditorExdtensionsRedux.  Finally, to extend your Science experience, go with StationScience.  Add Misson Controller 2 as well for more missions, including historical missions.

MJ2, KAC, and KDATA are my personal MUST HAVE.  Otherwise, I don't play.  YMMV

Finally, Scott Manley does a lot of reviews on YouTube.

Edited by Apollo13

My List:

I also use Kronal Vessel Viewer for "diagram" shots of my better craft, but it has memory issues so I ONLY load it when I want to do a photoshoot, and leave it unloaded when playing the game.

* Mods of my own creation

Edited by tg626

BDArmory is awesome and totally worth checking out. It can be distracting however; you don't go into space for a while after installing it. 

Hyperedit is incredibly helpful for testing landers and rovers and suchlike on other planets before you bother dragging them there. 

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is good if you're tired of wobbly craft. 

Chatterer adds a very nice audio layer to your missions, and it's totally customizable. 

I played with KIS (Kerbal Inventory System) and KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) for a short time; they're definitely worth a look. 

KER (Kerbal Engineer Redux) is a godsend if you don't feel like doing math. It basically gives you more information than you could ever need or want about your rocket and your orbit.

For me:

• MechJeb for the data (and for when I feel lazy)
  • KW Rocketry, because it adds lots of heavy lift parts that amuse me
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement if you make excessively big things
  • Chatterer for atmosphere
  • Planetshine for looks
  • Kopernicus and Outer Planets Mod to have more places to go

That's really it.

If you are looking for part mods I suggest:

FWIW for a complete noob 

I played around with a lot of mods for a while, both cosmetic ones (EVE) and part ones (e.g.  the Near Future series).  

In the end I have chosen to select my mods so I have the least performance hit & the least buggy experience.  I basically just use my mods to do the math and heklp design rockets. Also, my current game is based around orbital refineries and resource mining.

So:

• PlanetShine - because it moar beautiful
  • Mechjeb -  at the moment, just for the automatic node execution and the built-in maneuver node editor
  • KER. Can't d without it
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator - essential
  • SCANSAT - because I just can't buy into instant resource scanning
  • RCS BuildAid - because docking.

I have also just decided to install TriggerAU's Transfer Window Planner.

P S And KAC, of course. 

Edited by Clear Air Turbulence

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.