Why a Facebook connection?

LordFerret

I've noticed while logging in "connect.facebook.com" appears in the activity bar - among other sites, like alpha.renegrade.net ... why? I've not looked into the other sites the forum is linking(?)/connecting to, which I will (later), but why Facebook? I want nothing to do with Facebook. :huh:

Hmm, on the login page? Most likely because IPS4 has the ability to allow people to log in using various 3rd party accounts. Those options have been disabled though, so I'm not sure why the forums still poll those websites. Will investigate.

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Hummm... I'm not seeing any share buttons, but then again I've got a browser addon which removes all those buttons. I guess it's working lol.

Please tell me of this addon; I've been looking for one to do just the task described.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

To be honest, I would not mind an option to include a link from this forum to my Facebook page.  No, I don't want to share feeds or anything like that... but if we are still linking to Twitter...

Can't you just copy/paste a link? Or do I take it this kind of option would create an actual post on your Facebook page?

1 hour ago, Flymetothemun said:

Please tell me of this addon; I've been looking for one to do just the task described.

It's Adblock Plus. It allows you to disable 'social media' buttons, among other things.

5 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I've noticed while logging in "connect.facebook.com" appears in the activity bar - among other sites, like alpha.renegrade.net ... why? I've not looked into the other sites the forum is linking(?)/connecting to, which I will (later), but why Facebook? I want nothing to do with Facebook. :huh:

I too want nothing to do with Faceborg or any other "Social Media" garbage.
I object to sites that I visit linking to said SM garbage, so I use Noscript + Adblock. With my rather draconian filters in place this currently reduces 3rd party site links to zero, but I really shouldn't have to do this client-side. :huh:
---
I believe the adblock feature mentioned is the "facebook privacy list" filter - it blocks all buttons/cross-site links to faceborg.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.