Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 86: "The slow passage of time, adrift in space."]

adsii1970

Wow... I'm quite a pain in the butt... But then again, I'm also a Hollywood (Kollywood?) producer... which I suppose is the exact same thing... lmao. 

This is a riot, thank you!  :D

23 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

"Oh, I...um... I... " Jim stuttered. "Yeah, I think I need to go check on something..." And with that, we all had a good laugh. Apparently Jim wasn't quite ready for that much of a scientific explanation. For the first time, I think Jim was speechless. The question that kept running through my mind was what he was up to.

On, no.... not a bunch of real science facts and... and... stuff!!! :confused:

And on a more serious note... I find the sudden appearance of a red star in the sky more than a little... disturbing!  :0.0:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

And on a more serious note... I find the sudden appearance of a red star in the sky more than a little... disturbing!  :0.0:

[Edited by adsii1970]

Oh, and what makes you think they are not panicking? Think about it, essentially what Dr. Haywood did is give an "official theory" - -"nothing to worry about, we have our best brains working on it... Pay no attention to that red star in the sky..."

On 6/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, insert_name said:

What mod added Valentine?

@insert_name: Here's the mod you've asked about:

It is OPM (Outer Planets Mod) compatible and has support for Final Frontier Mod. I'm running it in both 1.3 and 1.2.2 of KSP without any real issue AND I don't see a lot of significant memory drag. The only problem is that it does not support Tarsier; there are no images in the mod that will support the space telescope function. Later today, I might post to the author of the mod asking about that kind of inter-module support. Planetary bodies wouldn't need images, but the star should at least be visible to a space-based telescope.

Have fun and be sure to share your pictures.

16 minutes ago, Thedrelle said:

coolness. I may have to try that mod, this last patch broke my KSP big time. 

also, loving where this is going!

Broke is an understatement - shattered is more likely.

The "anomaly" is the changeover from 1.2.2 to 1.3, but for now, I've reverted back to 1.2.2 until I can figure out why I am crashing again.

And thanks for the complement!

And a shout-out to @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures because his mod gave the the ideas you'll see in the next few chapters.

Edited by adsii1970

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

I have to get to Valentine someday, but DSEV's fusion engine isn't up to the task. I need an Epstein drive...

Hehehe... so I've spurred some creative energies on your part... again! Does this classify as abuse of a mod maker? :confused:

Just now, adsii1970 said:

Hehehe... so I've spurred some creative energies on your part... again! Does this classify as abuse of a mod maker? :confused:

Sorta, I've had Valentine in my various saves for awhile (it's in K.E.E.P.) but I've never gotten to the point where I could go. Either I get bogged down with modding or the game changes and I restart my career save or both. 

The Supernova is designed for inter-solar transfers, not interstellar. To go interstellar without warp drive, you'd need a ridiculous amount of delta-v. At one time, I thought of nuclear saltwater rockets to do the job (they used Nuclear Salted Fizzy Water), as well as an orion drive, but got stuck on other projects. The downside is that such an engine would break the game, letting you go anywhere you wanted. If I made one today it would need many limitations.

51 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Sorta, I've had Valentine in my various saves for awhile (it's in K.E.E.P.) but I've never gotten to the point where I could go. Either I get bogged down with modding or the game changes and I restart my career save or both. 

The Supernova is designed for inter-solar transfers, not interstellar. To go interstellar without warp drive, you'd need a ridiculous amount of delta-v. At one time, I thought of nuclear saltwater rockets to do the job (they used Nuclear Salted Fizzy Water), as well as an orion drive, but got stuck on other projects. The downside is that such an engine would break the game, letting you go anywhere you wanted. If I made one today it would need many limitations.

RoverDude's Nuclear Engines mod has an Orion - I successfully flew it to Cercani (Kopernicus/Other Worlds) by loading up 2 fuel modules.  Travel time for 5Gkm was 11.5 Kerbal years. It is ridiculously OP for putting things into orbit, and to go anywhere, but since it's nuclear pulse propulsion, you still need another engine of some sort for fine tuning. The biggest factors are cost, and that for an interstellar mission, either it will take several out-of-game months to complete (if you want to attend your other missions), or the loss/removal of everything else to spend several hours at max time warp to get there.  Not as much of a factor for Outer Planets mod or other "close-in" targets, but there are several factors on non-warp drive ships which make Orion more of a curiosity or short-term fun rather than anything which becomes a staple.

On 14 June 2017 at 0:40 AM, Just Jim said:

Wow... I'm quite a pain in the butt... But then again, I'm also a Hollywood (Kollywood?) producer... which I suppose is the exact same thing... lmao. 

This is a riot, thank you!  :D

On, no.... not a bunch of real science facts and... and... stuff!!! :confused:

Provided that it doesn't rain voracious alien spores onto Kerbin we're good. :) Although a Dragonriders of Kerbin crossover would be... interesting.

Finally managed to catch up with this fine work - and I look forward to staying caught up!

4 minutes ago, KSK said:

Provided that it doesn't rain voracious alien spores onto Kerbin we're good. :) Although a Dragonriders of Kerbin crossover would be... interesting.

Finally managed to catch up with this fine work - and I look forward to staying caught up!

Unfortunately, I had another mod conflicting with the ExtraSolar mod that gave me Valentine. So, with the help of @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures, I found out what was causing the conflicts. However, when I solved the conflicts, Valentine moved further out... you'll still see a solar flare every once in a while... and I do have a plan... :D

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Unfortunately, I had another mod conflicting with the ExtraSolar mod that gave me Valentine. So, with the help of @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures, I found out what was causing the conflicts. However, when I solved the conflicts, Valentine moved further out... you'll still see a solar flare every once in a while... and I do have a plan... :D

Maybe, maybe not... :wink:

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA’s Ronald D. Moore Admits: Cylons Did NOT Have a Plan

http://nerdist.com/battlestar-galactica-ronald-d-moore-cylons/

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Maybe, maybe not... :wink:

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA’s Ronald D. Moore Admits: Cylons Did NOT Have a Plan

http://nerdist.com/battlestar-galactica-ronald-d-moore-cylons/

In the original series (circa 1970s with Loren Greene playing Commander Adama), the Cylons did have a plan. The extermination of mankind. And they were created by the "Cylons," a lizard like race of beings... :D

If any of you want to change the distance from Kerbol to Valentine, create a .cfg file, copy and paste the code below into it, and throw it into GameData:

@Body[Valentine]:AFTER[Extrasolar]
{
	@Orbit
	{
		@semiMajorAxis = // Whatever distance you want here
	}
}

Just put whatever number you want for "semiMajorAxis"

37 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

If any of you want to change the distance from Kerbol to Valentine, create a .cfg file, copy and paste the code below into it, and throw it into GameData:

@Body[Valentine]:AFTER[Extrasolar]
{
	@Orbit
	{
		@semiMajorAxis = // Whatever distance you want here
	}
}

Just put whatever number you want for "semiMajorAxis"

Thanks! I actually took your advice and used HyperEdit. I gave it a sorta eliptical orbit... and I believe it will work!

• 2 weeks later...

Plock 21, Y003 
"The unending anomaly"
Chapter 44

The last few days have been full of strange events. The appearance of Valentine has really caused a lot of Kermen to become unsettled about the most recent anomaly. In fact, Kerbin's leading astronomer, Dr. Zarkov Kerman, said at our briefing on the 12th there is a lot more coming with the current anomaly. Apparently, he believes the appearance of Valentine is only the beginning. According to the briefing he gave us, he believes the strangeness of Valentine will continue until the gravitational forces in our region of space return to normal. Or at least that's what I understood from the briefing. Between his heavy highlands accent and all the scientific terms he threw around, I didn't understand much more than that.

Early during the briefing, Jim stood up and said, "Wow, dammit, I wish I knew what language he's speaking!" 

"What's wrong, Jim? Too much science for you, space cadet?" Gene shot back. and with that, the entire room began laughing. 

"Yeah, Gene." Jim shot back. "That's what it is, alright, commander console jockey!" A new round of laughter burst out. It was clear that while we all enjoyed the banter between the two, Dr. Zarkov grew quite impatient. 

The rest of the briefing he gave was about the path of Valentine and the possibility of planets orbiting that large and dying star. "Oh, do not have any fear," Dr. Zarkov told us. "We are certain the internal processes of the star will continue to burn for at least another few thousand years..." 

After nearly an hour and a half briefing by Dr. Zarkov, we were released to our normal duties. For me, it meant trying to squeeze in three hours of flight time on the newest version - the Mark 2 of the Koos. The plane is quite a machine.

o9oW1g9.png

h9gXPNU.png

V3JD9Jm.png

Although Dr. Zarkov told us we were in no real danger from Valentine, I'll admit having it around bothers me a little bit; it didn't stop me from spending three hours flying the Mark 2. She's a nimble craft and will become the newest main defender craft of the Kerbin Defense Forces. I found out from Dr. Haywood earlier in the day that the Kersplat Aerospace Logo on the tail aircraft was replaced with a registry number. 

5GLgULG.png

While assigned to the Koos Mark 1, Gene had assigned me to the registry of KSC-3; I was the third Kerman of the six-craft KSC defense squadron. Since the disappearance of Bill and Jebediah's stunt, I was being reassigned to the registry of KSC-1. Technically, when I am not on a mission, my assignment is the defense of the space center. Bobak said that when I returned from my mission, we'd begin the process of reassigning pilots to assure the KSC defense squadron ahs its full complement of six pilots and craft - and all will be flying the Koos Mark 2.

Later that afternoon, Gene, Dr. Haywood, and myself met to discuss the selection of two new crew members. The decision was made to select another pilot and a scientist to round out the team. It was hard to make the decisions, but after nearly two hours of debating and weighing the candidates, I selected Jr. Lieutenant Obney and Lieutenant Hildi. Lieutenant Hildi was an easy choice; not only is she a scientist, but she is also a Committee of Medicinal Sciences certified doctor. 

On the 13th, we began a new set of simulator drills to prepare for our next mission. The vehicle we will use for the Minimus IV mission is already in orbit around Kerbin. The design, as explained by Dr. Wernher, was completely radical from previous craft. The design is to make long distance space travel practical - it has plenty of room for five Kermen, has a lab, plenty of storage areas, and actual crew cabins. Although travel to Minimus is far from routine, it was decided that the missions would be perfect opportunities to test out the new ship design and train our newest crew members.

Once we've completed both Minimus IV and Minimus V, our next mission aboard the craft would be to investigate some objects picked up at the edge of Kerbin's sphere of influence. Dr. Zarkov thinks the objects are asteroids - and may be fossil remnants of two ancient moons whose orbits around Kerbin intersected - and eventually collided, destroying both moons. I actually found this part of the briefing this morning interesting! 

Yesterday was the big day. After a briefing that began at midnight, we were sent the pad and boarded the Crew Transportation Vehicle (CTV). Gilti and Obney took their stations at the primary command station. Karloff, myself, and Hildi sat in what Dr. Wernher calls the "hitchhiker can". Although I know I'm considered as the crew's captain, I still wish I was actually setting at the pilot's console. I imagine this is how Commodore Valentina feels when it comes to her responsibilities as the ship's commander and her desire to personally control the vessel.

"CTV-1, this is mission control," it was easy to tell it was Bobak's voice. "We are holding at T minus five minutes. Awaiting confirmation of crew status."

"Mission control," I responded. "All crew present and accounted for. We are go."

"Roger, CTV-1." Bobak said. Although we heard Gene in the background, I didn't understand what he was saying. "CTV-1, we are resuming countdown. You are go for launch." And with that, we all let out a sigh of relief as the countdown clock on the primary command station resumed.

We all watched the countdown clock, anticipating the last minute. And then it hit, at T-58 seconds, we heard the liquid fuel pumps kick in; a few seconds later, the liquid oxy pumps added to the sounds of the pre-launch events. Then, at T-15 seconds, the vibrations shaking the craft and the sound of thunder announced the main engines had been activated.

"CTV-1, our readings show main engine start..." Bobak's calm and cool voice could barely be heard over the noise of the main engines.

"Roger," I replied, "we have main engine start. All indicator lamps are green..."

"Three...two...one... We have liftoff! Liftoff of CTV-1..." Bobak's voice was  barely audible above the cheers of the tracking center. 

xIet6kv.png

HKa6trE.png

Within what seemed like mere minutes, our first stage was jettisoned, we began our final roll and course correction for orbital insertion. As far as launches go, it was picture perfect. Just twenty-five minutes after launch, we were orbiting Kerbin at an altitude of 150,000 meters.

9bWNKiz.png

"Sir, we will be approaching the rendezvous point in about seventeen minutes," Gilti called out. During the simulator training, Gene and Dr. Haywood made the point of telling us that Lieutenant Gilti was the helmsKerman; she had the responsibility of giving me vital mission data at all times regarding the operation of the vessel under my command. This is going to take me a while to get accustomed to.

Within a few minutes, we were within pinging distance of the Minimus IV craft. But it wasn't the sight of our new craft that really got my attention. In the distance was a deep red point of light that appeared to originate where the red star, Valentine, should be -- but wasn't! 

"Uh, Gene, are you seeing this?" I asked. 

"Seeing wha..." we could hear the surprise in Gene's voice. "Uh, Kerny, we're not sure what to make of this. Tracking says that Valentine is no longer detectible visually or with their array. We're going to get Dr. Zarkov on this..."

IMh1W8m.png

"Roger, Gene." I don't think that the rest of the crew felt any more at ease with Gene's response than I did. But we were already in orbit and rapidly heading to the new excursion vehicle. Soon, we would be docking with it and transferring ourselves and supplies to the new craft. 

AQzcCJs.png

DJ0XCvG.png

Docking was extremely smooth. From what the simulator logs showed, Gilti had spent nearly fifty-five hours in the simulators since our last mission perfecting her docking procedures. 

"Gene, this is CTV-1, we have hard dock with the excursion vehicle..." I said.

"Roger, Kerny." Gene replied. "Go take a look inside; for the next two days, I want you and your crew to familiarize yourselves with the vessel. Your orders are to remain in orbit until you're given the 'go' for Minimus."

"Roger, Gene. This is CTV-1, transferring operational controls to excursion vehicle." And with that, we began the process of equalizing air pressure between the two vehicles.

"Captain, didn't Dr. Wernher say that life support would have to stabilize for thirty minutes before we can enter, right?" Hildi was right. It was supposed to take thirty minutes before it would be safe to enter the craft. As I told her she was correct, I wasn't prepared for what she said next. "Sir, my monitor is showing life support at nominal levels - although we've just docked, it's already stabilized!"

"Lieutenant Gilti, relay our status to mission control through a data packet." Although my initial instinct was to open the airlock and explore our new home for the next 15 days, I didn't want to run the risk of it being a malfunctioning sensor. So, until we hear word back from mission control, we'll wait in the CTV-1 until either I hear they think it's safe to believe the sensor readings or the thirty minutes pass - whichever comes first. But until then, all we can do is to take some down time. 

uJw1ICU.png

Edited by adsii1970
Clarified confusing wording... :D Sorry, folks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.