Kerny Kerman's Journal (mission reports from a Kerbal's point of view) [Chapter 86: "The slow passage of time, adrift in space."]

adsii1970

TO WAR WE GO TO PROTECT TO DEFEND THE KERBALS!!! WE STAND STRONG WE ARE THE KDF!!!

Stop teasing!! I already am overloading my head with possibilities. UFO defence missile

Long range nuclear missile (doubt it)

Long range mini explosive space rocket...

I KNOW ITS A ROCKET HOBBY LAUNCHER!! THE KDF GIVE CHILDREN HOBBY VANS!!! Want to see that!!! Get a child Kerbal mod and post a picture!

On 2/8/2017 at 8:39 AM, DarkOwl57 said:

TO WAR!!!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Orion Kerman said:

TO WAR WE GO TO PROTECT TO DEFEND THE KERBALS!!! WE STAND STRONG WE ARE THE KDF!!!

OK, I know this is really, really off-topic, and I apologize ahead... but as soon as I read this, I starting hearing this song in my head:  :D

Spoiler

Edited by Just Jim

1 minute ago, Orion Kerman said:

I remember that episode, absolutely hilarious would love a kerbal version!!!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

@DarkOwl57: Mine's not... and take it from me, the video that @Just Jim shared is absolutely funny...

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I know this is really, really off-topic, and I apologize ahead... but as soon as I read this, I starting hearing this song in my head:  :D

Reveal hidden contents

WHAT IS IT?!?!?!?!

Sorted now???:D

Also do the kerbal kids enjoy the rocket hobby van?? I think they love the company latest model of wild blue industries and bd armoury where you add payload most commonly homework which is collected by the teachers in this submarine   When will you add this ??can't wait!!

Spoiler

0kuaauY.jpg

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

AKJSLEHTUILkw4asejhluafjkehradlslzkgj,had,n YOU JERKS!!!

Sorry... I had to go out for a while... you've probably suffered enough:

Spoiler

"Our Movie's Better Than Yours"
Phineas & Ferb: "Nerds of a Feather"

The sun blazes red o'er the convention center!
As red as the blood of all who enter!
That's pumped through the hearts into this fearless choir.
It's the size and the shape of a fist clenched in ire!
That's raised to the sky in faith and in duty,
That holds that red sun in all its beauty
A beauty we all must ignore!
As we take the last steps to war!
'Cause our movie's better than yours!

No our movie's better than yours!
Our movie's better!
Our movie's better than yours!
Our movie's better!
Our movie's better!

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Reveal hidden contents

"Our Movie's Better Than Yours"
Phineas & Ferb: "Nerds of a Feather"

The sun blazes red o'er the convention center!
As red as the blood of all who enter!
That's pumped through the hearts into this fearless choir.
It's the size and the shape of a fist clenched in ire!
That's raised to the sky in faith and in duty,
That holds that red sun in all its beauty
A beauty we all must ignore!
As we take the last steps to war!
'Cause our movie's better than yours!

Our movie's better!
Our movie's better!
Our movie's better!

The sun blazes red.... CURSE YOU JIM the just it's in my head!!

Neidon 21, Y003
"Commander, I'm picking up overlapping communications..."

Chapter 31

GCH4vXm.jpg

We are still one day and four hours from our next and final burn - the Kerbin orbital insertion burn. The crew compartment has made the intentionally slower return trajectory easier to handle. In this morning's data packet, Dr. Wernher wanted to know our opinions on what needed to be changed in the configuration. For a crew of two, the Minimus Excursion Lander performed well. The large fuel tanks on the crew compartment allowed the lander to be refueled and prepared for the next surface mission. The crew compartment could have easily accommodated Gilti, Karloff, and myself for the duration of the voyage home. The only suggestion  - that I imagine will cause eyes to roll at the engineering division - was when Gilti recommended some sort of observation window be added to the crew module. Actually, I don't think it is such a bad idea.

Three days ago, on the 18th of Neidon, as we were beginning our night cycle, Gilti called out over the intercom, "Commander, I'm picking up overlapping signals around the Island Air Station and the KSC... and there's aircraft in the air..."

"Put it on the monitors," I responded, not fully knowing what to expect. After all, with the 17th of Neidon being the end of the Third Münar Cycle, sometimes the celebrations lasted well into the next day. I was not expecting what we were about to hear.

"KSC Tracking, this is Island Air Station. Lieutenant Mortberry Reporting... /static/ we are... /static/... incoming..."

"/static/" This is KSC Tracki... /static/ ...oger, we have it on our screens." I instantly knew that something was going on when I heard the tone of Kuzzter's voice.

urweZlC.jpg

We could hear the KSC klaxon alarms sound as the tracking computers began to analyze the flight plan of the unknown object. Since the last appearance of the unidentified alien craft, the defense forces had been drilling in preparation of the next time any of the craft appeared to be heading towards the settlements or the space center. "Omicron Team, this is Tracking. Inbound unknown, at an altitude of 1,200 m and speed of 135 meters per second. Scramble! Scr.../static/...Scramble!" And with that command, we knew that three of the defense forces aircraft would immediately begin air patrols over each of the preassigned areas around the KSC, the Island Air Field, and the other settlements.

UlH1jgj.jpg

Immediately we heard the overlapping signals of both the squads of the KSC wing and the Island Airfield Wing as they were observing the craft. "Dammit, unless you see it, I don't want the extra chatter..." Gene broke in. "Does anyone see /static/ thing?"

"Roger, Control, this is Kerbite Three. I have tone lock. Request permission to /static/..."

"Roger, Kerbite Three. Engage. Rep.. /static/ ...gage!" Gene could be heard shouting into the radio.

bhv2gRA.jpg

"Kerbite Three, this is Tracking.../static/..."

"Roger, now tracking it. It changed course before the missile could home in on its signal. Holy gods... it's now heading back to the KSC... it's heading west-northwest... Kerbite Two, do you..."

"Roger, I have tone lock...Firing two and three..."

WXJtxCE.jpg

mM9A1AU.jpg

And with that, Lieutenant Mertrey Kerman became the first to successfully shoot down one of the alien craft. We even heard the confirmation over the speakers. "Tracking, this is Kerbite 2," the exuberant female Kerman voice said. "Target has been neutralized, repeat.. /static/ ...firm that the target has been neutralized! You did it, Lieutenant...!" And with that transmission, the overlapping signals began again, but this time with cheers and congratulatory messages than the previous panic of an incoming unidentified alien craft.

YEdqc1g.jpg

In the data packet sent by Bobak yesterday afternoon, there's been some additional developments. Winfield Kerman, the commanding officer of the United Republic of Kerbin Defense Forces, ordered newly created air defense units to be set up on the KSC peninsula around the station. His idea is about preventing the alien craft from being able to come so close to the space center airspace. Using the latest rocket and processor technology, he believes having these units on the peninsula will allow the KDF to engage the alien craft further out - and that this combined with the air forces will be enough to at least discourage the aliens from attempting to do what they did to Bill. Although it hasn't been that long since Bill was taken, already there are nearly a thousand different theories about why he was taken and if there's going to be more such abductions in the future.

PfRlkJt.jpg

FwQysYB.jpg

There's a lot of questions about this most recent encounter with the alien craft. Within the data packet, Bobak included a partial transcript of a hearing where some of the members of the Space Exploration and Colonization Committee began to ask if this was a precursor to an invasion. If so, were they trying to probe the planet's defenses? If not, why didn't they attempt to defend themselves? They could have easily outrun the Koos Mk1, as it only has a top speed of Mach 1.25 and the alien craft have been seen flying nearly double that in the past. Since they have superior technology, surely they could have intercepted the missile fired at their craft... there' just so many questions and not many answers to go on. Even the research I've done on the research of Dr. Orson has led me to the conclusion there must be more to the alien craft than what we now understand.

42fUWTb.jpg

We've also been monitoring communications between the Münar Excursion 3 and mission control since yesterday afternoon. Irtrice and her crew entered Münar orbit yesterday shortly after Kerbolrise. Once orbit was established, she and Maxgy descended to the Münar surface and marked the site for the planned colony. After planting the flag and confirming coordinates with the tracking center, the first of four cargo carriers began its descent to the future colony site.

I7zh28h.jpg

Within an hour of the first cargo carrier landing, the two engineers began construction of the first part of the colony. By the end of the day, a communications array, a habitat and lab were unloaded, locked to the surface. It was exciting listening to the back and forth instructions of Angelo, the chief designer and engineer of Wild Blue Industries, and the surface crew. "Angelo, how on Kerbin do we attach this plate to the Münar surface..." Irtrice innocently asked but with a distinct tone of irritation in her voice.

"Simple, you use a motorized wrench and bolt it directly into the granite rock of the Mün's surface..." Angelo responded.

"Ok, you dreamed this up, why don't you..." Irtrice began, the sarcasm oozed off every word.

"Now that will do it," Gene interrupted. "Follow the procedures, Irtrice. Just like you did in the training simulator..."

"Roger, Gene.../brrrrriiiiiirrrrr...ka-thunk!/ " Maxgy added, the noise of the motorized wrench and th plate sealing on the surface easily heard over the intercom. "I've got the first base plate installed and we are moving the first module in place."

RG1HFlP.jpg

2zosZ0l.jpg

After nearly four hours of audio transmission, we head Irtrice give the final transmission of the day. "Mission Control, this is Münar Settlement One. We have set up the communications network, tied into both primary cargo landers, and have set up the hacienda and lab modules. I am happy to report we have completed the assigned tasks for today...awaiting your instructions..."

"Roger, Munar Settlement, this is Mission Control," Bobak's cool and professional demeanor clearly observable. "Gene says you're done for the day. Enjoy the site, enjoy the view, and prepare to rendezvous with the command module tomorrow at 1:00 hours KSC."

ou0a01R.jpg

"Roger, Mission Control. Rendezvous with command module at 1:00 hours KSC... you copy that, Genemy?" Irtrice responded. "Gene, don't panic, Maxgy 's going to take a stroll around outside. After all, Bobak did tell her to enjoy the view..." She added, as almost an afterthought.

"Roger, Commander." Genemy answered. "So I guess that means I'll need to pick up my mess and put away the leftover tacos before you come home..." And with that, you could hear the laughter of the rest of the crew and a handful of familiar laughs from mission control.

"Münar Excursion 3 and Munar Settlement, this is Mission Control. Signing out..." 

And with that, the channel cleared and we were back the isolation of space. Karloff's about to end his watch of the command module and Gilti is already preparing to relieve him. If all goes well tomorrow, I still have two watches and both Karloff and Gilti have one each before we'll be back on the surface of Kerbin. Gene has already told us we will have a day of debriefings before Dr. Haywood and Dr. Wernher meets with us for the final discussions on the new Munar Excursion System, as it is now being called. Once the modifications are completed, the entire module will be put into a parking orbit of 90,000 meters above the surface. The last batch of pre-briefing notes about our next mission shows that we, too, will be setting up a preliminary colony site, much the way Irtrice and her crew have done on their recent mission.

"Well, it's about time... this is going to be awesome, but just who gets left up in the command module?" she asked. "Oh, come on, I know he's the engineer, but... but..." Little does she realize that the part of the data packet, which was restricted to my access code only, has a few potential surprises that I cannot discuss with her at this time.

Edited by adsii1970
Clarified confusing wording... :D Sorry, folks!

11 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

[edited by adsii1970]

No, you misunderstand this process, obviously. :rolleyes: You're supposed to drag it out as long as possible... tormentation is always best when it is dragged out as much as possible...

Just now, adsii1970 said:

No, you misunderstand this process, obviously. :rolleyes: You're supposed to drag it out as long as possible... tormentation is always best when it is dragged out as much as possible...

Ah you..... Not gonna say it; mods would jump on me like dogs with a steak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.